5 replies to this topic

colbertbr

colbertbr

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 08 Mar 2012

Posted Image

This is on a couple of my rocks. Doesn't look "slimey". My tank is about three weeks old with 2 hermits, a shrimp and a CUC (as of today). I've only fed the tank 4 times and each one was pretty small. No ammonia or nitrites.

Should I be concerned?

1fishmonger

1fishmonger

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 08 Sep 2010
Cyano
Siphon it out during water changes and you'll be fine. Better to attack it now then let it get out of hand. Weekly water changes are highly suggested. You'll be around in the hobby much longer if you keep up with those water changes ;)

godfathernikki

godfathernikki

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Joined 24 Feb 2008
  • Az
Cyano and algae blooms are common in newer tanks. Do what the above poster suggested and keep up with water changes. If it persists for several weeks you may look into your source water quality. Chances are that this is temporary though.

Spirofucci

Spirofucci

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2011
  • Harlingen, Texas
Yep! My tank is about 4+ months old, had that stuff off and on for 2-3 months. None now, but I still have no coralline, lol

Posted Image

Salty_Snack

Salty_Snack

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 497 posts
  • Joined 11 Jan 2012
Does it easily blow off the rocks? If not it isn't cyano.

our mother ####in focus will do 80 easy, punk ass #####. i'm sure it will do like 90. we just got new tires!

cuboy

cuboy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined 02 Aug 2008
technically it's good because it is a sign that your tank is still cycling. Once it clears up then your tank should be ready for stocking.

I am curious on why you are feeding your tank?