Cultivated Reef

Do i need to buy CREE for my MR16's for coral growth , help ?

tysfoot

Hi,

Im confused as to which MR16 leds to buy for my fluval edge

I live in the UK and i cant find any wide angle Cree MR16 LED's anywhere

But i can find 6w 27 SMD LED Energy Saving MR16 bulb 450 Lumens

Will this be sufficient for coral growth ?

After reading about cree is it needed as its very hard to find here in the UK which is anooying

Can anyone help please

There's several manufacturers that produce suitable LED's, Cree, Luxeon, GE, Edison. The primary concern is they have enough intensity (100 - 200lm @ 350mA) and they are the correct wavelength. Look for cool white LED's which is generally in the 5000K to 6500K color temperature range. You will probably need to supplement with some blue or purple'ish to get a more pleasing color in the tank.

There's several manufacturers that produce suitable LED's, Cree, Luxeon, GE, Edison. The primary concern is they have enough intensity (100 - 200lm @ 350mA) and they are the correct wavelength. Look for cool white LED's which is generally in the 5000K to 6500K color temperature range. You will probably need to supplement with some blue or purple'ish to get a more pleasing color in the tank.

could you tell me if the following link are good MR16 bulbs. These are the best i have seen so far in the UK, are there better ? is doesnt state CREE, luxeon, or GE so will it still be ok

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energy-Saving-MR16...482&sr=8-13

What size tank are you planning on using this for? The color temperature is good. It's a little low on the output, but if you have enough of these it should work. Not sure about the fixture though. States they are made for a 12V spotlight fixture.

What size tank are you planning on using this for? The color temperature is good. It's a little low on the output, but if you have enough of these it should work. Not sure about the fixture though. States they are made for a 12V spotlight fixture.

I have a 23l fluval edge and it has two mr16 sockets

Its the most powerfull mr16 i have seen in the uk so far, do i need to buy cree, i dont really understand what cree is for

Cree is just a brand, one of the better ones, but it doesn't have to be cree.

You're probably going to want to figure out how to add some blue, but if you have the sockets these should be a good start. They're cheap as well, so if it doesn't work as well as you were looking it's not a terrible loss.

C.I._Reefer

go to ebay, you could get 2 3x3w cree bulbs for like $20. I would just take the optics off. It should work great, and you will have 18w of cree led power :P

go to ebay, you could get 2 3x3w cree bulbs for like $20. I wo120uld just take the optics off. It should work great, and you will have 18w of cree led power :P

Hi, could you tell me if this is good enough for my tank because i cannot find anything much better in the uk

6w 27 SMD LED MR16 bulb 450 Lumens 120 degree beam

or

Ultra Bright Dimmable MR16 CREE 3*3w 9W 12V High Power LED Light Bulb in COOL WHITE (6000K)

these onlt have 60 degree angle

i have a fluval edge so i really want the ultra brioght ones but in a 120 degree beam, is it possible

which ones would you choose

Ive bought the following from Amazon, hope there ok

Ultra Bright Dimmable MR16 CREE 3*3w 9W 12V High Power LED Light Bulb in COOL WHITE (6000K)

60 degree angle

450-500 Lumens

I hope i got the right ones and the best out there, what do you think ?

post-72930-1333218045_thumb.jpg

Archived