ReefCleaners.org

old thread lol

jedimasterben

jedimasterben
You need more then one for NTM and TSM lol... :P and yea...now imagine 3 on half of your tank rofl...6kgph ;P

Oh lord. Makes my head want to spin thinking about it! I will probably only have two on the new tank, and that's still if the two don't blow all my sand away. I'd like a third, but the mrs. doesn't know about the first $440 spent just in powerheads lol.

Going to be sick!

I love the Le before everything in your diagrams.

Everything needs a proper name. :lol:

Sounds like an awesome tank! Love the dimensions i was drooling over that tank in their catalog.

I know. Then I walked into one of my LFS and I saw they had just set up two new frag tanks using the same tanks and I was like omg, want want want. Theirs aren't rimless, though. :)

Oh, put the stand (mostly) together yesterday. Now just gotta add the finishing pieces (plywood for doors on each side) and paint it and finish the top.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice stand! I like that you're gonna have a little overhang trim on there. Two drill motors means two mp10's, lol

jedimasterben
Nice stand! I like that you're gonna have a little overhang trim on there. Two drill motors means two mp10's, lol

lol, yeah, I figured I would like the overhang to set stuff on, like food and stuff when feeding.

Nice I should have done the overhang molding. Ph well that's why we are going to add edging around it. ;)

It's definitely handy.

jedimasterben

Got the first layer of wood putty on the tank, it dried overnight, and sanded the living balls out of it the next day with an electric sander, took around 30 minutes of sanding (and to think, I was gonna do it by hand with a sanding sponge!), but it is all 100% smooth as a baby's butt! I put on another layer of wood putty where it was necessary and let that dry. Went out of town tonight, so I didn't get to sand it again, but will do more work on it tomorrow. Sand it, prime everything, inside and out, and possibly paint it if it all dries fast enough.

Had a MAJOR malfunction with my power company on Wednesday. My wife work up around 4:00PM (she works nights), and our power was out. She went back to sleep and called me when she got up at 5 and told me it was out. So I call the power company to let them know about the outage (if they didn't already), and they said "oh, your power was disconnected for nonpayment."

I have never not paid my bill. Ever. Twice it was a day late because they didn't take electronic payments at the time and I had to go to their office and hand them a check, but the bill has always been paid, always. I ask what date was the problem, as my bill for this month still isn't due yet, and they said it was due January 3rd. WTF

I looked on my bank statement while on the phone with them, it said that $136.56 left my account on January 3rd, and that was it. They said that my bank sent them a letter stating that I had refused the charge on March 28th. Another WTF.

I try to explain to them that no, they didn't receive a letter from my bank, as I didn't dispute the charge, and no, my account therefore is not in non-payment, and that they'd better turn my goddamned power back on right the hell now or they will be in serious ####. They said the balance due on your account is $481.82, not including this month's bill. Ok, that is ridiculous!

I told the lady on the phone that they could have whatever money they wanted at the moment to get the power back on, but the following day I would dispute the charge and they wouldn't get a penny from me. She was truthful about that, the power turned on exactly 20 minutes later. It went off at 1:28PM, and came back on at 5:42Pm, so about four and a half hours off.

I call my bank immediately after hanging up with them (I did mention before I got off the phone that if any of my corals are dead or dying when I get home that they will receive a bill for 100% of the replacement cost, or a lawyer will be calling them soon). I explain the situation, they pull up my account, and they see nothing on the account where I would have been credited back the amount I paid out, and there were no notes on the account that said I had ever disputed a charge. The bank's supervisor wants to speak to me and hear the situation, so I relay everything, and she asks for the number to my electric company to hear their side of the story. I give it to her, and she 3-way calls the company in. I get to the same lady I talked to and had her explain the situation again.

This time, the bank lady chimes in and tells the electric company lade what's what. "He has paid his bill the same time each month, every month, he paid you on January 3rd and NEVER got that money back, there are no disputes associated with his debit card number OR his account, so you have gotten false information, and you most certainly did not receive a letter from us about his account."

She laid into her then. "I'll tell you what you need to do from here. You are going to get his power turned back on, you are NOT going to charge him any reconnection fees, as his account was NEVER in delinquency, and you need to do it RIGHT NOW." Seems as though she has this kind of problem before with this company!!

Electric company lady puts us on hold and comes back a minute later saying "Ok, I talked to my manager, he said we can waive the disconnection and reconnection fees, but you still owe the $136.56 for your January bill."

Bank lady says "Did you even listen to what I just said? He paid his bill in FULL on THAT DAY in January, and you will NOT be charging him again for it, and if I see another charge for anything close to $136.56, I will personally dismiss the charge from his account and see to it that you have legal recourse for illegally withdrawing money from his account!"

They went back and forth for a few minutes, and I learn that my electric company does not receive their own payments; they go to a third party company that then pays them. My bank lady asks for the letter that they supposedly sent, and the electric company sends it over, and the bank sends them documentation saying that I paid my bill to them on January 3rd and received no credit back for the supposed dispute.

The bank called me yesterday morning and gave me a bit more information - the letter from "my bank" was not only from a different bank, it was for a different ####ing person. With a different ####ing credit card number. With a different ####ing residential address. With a different ####ing billing address. Anyone else seeing something completely ####ed up here?

So far, I've lost over $300 in coral and fish (including my prized long tentacle plate coral), and several other corals aren't looking too hot. If they don't open up over the weekend, come Monday the bill I send the electric company is going get higher and higher.

This is pretty disheartening, and just thinking about it makes me furious that someone wouldn't even think to do a freaking name check on the document!

I'm not going to quote that because it's really long, but you sir, got shafted. Seriously that is bunk. What pisses me off more than anything is when someone (person or company) makes a big mistake and then doesn't own up to it. I get it that people make mistakes, and that's fine, but sometimes the implications are a little more than can be covered by a simple "oops".

I would also call the utility company and make sure that they don't submit negative information to the credit bureaus regarding this incident. Sometimes they will get approval from a manager or something to credit your account, but on their system it still shows that you never paid.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and dead stuff, hope things get back on track with the tank.

jedimasterben
I'm not going to quote that because it's really long, but you sir, got shafted. Seriously that is bunk. What pisses me off more than anything is when someone (person or company) makes a big mistake and then doesn't own up to it. I get it that people make mistakes, and that's fine, but sometimes the implications are a little more than can be covered by a simple "oops".

I would also call the utility company and make sure that they don't submit negative information to the credit bureaus regarding this incident. Sometimes they will get approval from a manager or something to credit your account, but on their system it still shows that you never paid.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and dead stuff, hope things get back on track with the tank.

Luckily the tank is still on track.

One Ben to another, that blows. Sorry to hear about it. On the plus side, your bank sounds pretty bad ass. Most banks would have not gone to bat for you like that.

Holy Crap, That is some serious BS. Sucks that your going through this though your bank sounds awesome!! sounds like she really came into bat for you. Hopefully it get's sorted soon and fingers crossed you don't lose anything else.

On a less serious note this build looks sweet and I'm excited to see where you take it.

Damn Ben that sucks. I had a similar situation when I moved in before the tank setup...they had the apartment beside me and mine backwards and tried to say I owed a bill when I had never had an account with them or any electric company lol. If I had had a tank it woulda sucked....generator ftw

jedimasterben
its not Gulf Power is it? Cuz I have them....

No, Glades Electric.

FPL? They are a pain!

FPL doesn't serve my area. :/

you need a drink after that ordeal!

If I didn't have the diabeetus, I probably would.

jedimasterben

Ok, I finally, finally, FINALLY finished deciding on LEDs, they are ordered, and all on their way or are already here!

14x Rebel ES neutral white @ 1A

21x Rebel ES royal blue 440-450nm @ 1A

6x Rebel ES deep red @ 700ma

6x Rebel ES cyan @ 1000ma

7x cool blue (not Rebels, Steve can't get a good enough bin) @ 700ma

12x violet @ 700ma

Setup will be in 7x clusters. The outer six will be spread across the tank evenly and consist of 2x white, 3x royal, 1x cool blue, 1x red, 1x cyan, and 2x violet. There will be one extra cluster in the dead center of the tank over where my rockwork will be (more about this in a bit), and will have 2x white, 3x royal, 1x blue. I have another set of turquoise and deep red, so I may figure out something to do with them.

All drivers are Steve's, and will be run from a Meanwell 200w power supply.

I'm also considering changing from a 60g 12" tall tank to an 80g 16" tall tank, so long as it is still made with 1/2" glass and I can use my MP10's. :D

Everything sounds pretty badass in here, minus that whole incident with the power company! Damn straight they should be paying for what you've lost!

Oh man just saw this. This has happened to me 4 times in 2 years. So I have the echotech battery back up for the stupid power company and a generator for hurricanes.

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

I got my lights (mostly) together today. My new tank is ordered and will be available on Tuesday, but I am picking it up on Friday, and will get back to my house late Saturday, so I don't think I'll get it set up til next weekend, then I'll start moving all my stuff over to it and get some good pics. I went with the 80g tank instead of the 60g tank, the extra 4" in height should really help out!

Teasers:

Stand:

IMG_20120416_193314.jpg

IMG_20120416_193328.jpg

IMG_20120416_193343.jpg

door handles

IMG_20120417_204129.jpg

My final cluster design:

---RB-CB-RB---

--V-NW-NW-V--

----C-RB-DR---

IMG_20120506_120442.jpg

My violets look like garbage after being removed from heatsinks twice now and having the thermal adhesive Dremel'd off of them, but damn do they still work great. :)

IMG_20120506_120456.jpg

Drivers: Double, Single, Triple

IMG_20120506_120504.jpg

Cyan

IMG_20120506_163636.jpg

Deep red

IMG_20120506_185839.jpg

Royal blue

IMG_20120506_180324.jpg

Tried to catch some of the hint of purple that these things throw out, but my phone just won't. I don't think that the purple is overbearing or even bad - I love it, personally.

IMG_20120506_180338.jpg

jedimasterben

Thanks!

Gonna try and finish up the stand tonight or tomorrow and get it into my house. Then I need to start rinsing my sand (Tahitian Moon Sand), I've got 80lbs of it to work with, I had originally purchased it for my waterfall tanks, but this tank is going to be finished up first. I also need to finish draining my 55g freshwater tank that still has about 80lbs of Tahtian moon sand mixed with white moonlight sand, the swirls it makes is pretty fantastic because the two sands are slightly different sizes and they aren't mixed together 100%. Hmm. Maybe if I rinse it out real good I will use that sand instead of straight TMS. omgomgomg

I also will need to make a hood for the lights, just so they look pretty and the wife doesn't complain lol. It will be pretty easy to make, though. Just some plywood, sand the crap out of it, trip it with the same trim I got, and then paint it to match. Cut a hole in the left and right for vent fans and make a slot in the bottom to slide a sheet of diffuser panel to eliminate any disco (not sure I'll even have any at this point, everything is so close together.

To do:

Finish wiring LEDs

Glue optics to LEDs

Finish painting stand

Attach tile to stand (yes, you read that correctly)

Get stand to my house

Make enclosure for lights

Mount enclosure onto wall & hide wiring

Buy glass pieces to make baffles in sump

Then I should be ready for the tank! I need to start stockpiling water for mixing.

jedimasterben
Whoa, that looks very bad a$$. How did the electric issue turn out?

Also, I absolutely love your wedding band design!

Electric company is still #####ing that it isn't their problem. They have at least credited my account for the $487 something that they charged me to get my power back on, but I told them that I didn't want a credit that would take me several months to get settled (my power bill last month was under $100). I need to buy insulin and glucose test strips this month to the tune of about $300, and that money would sure come in handy. As my dad says, "#####es."

My wife picked out the ring, was a complete surprise when I got it. It's made of tungsten, and she had to sign a release form when she got it. Tungsten is so hard that it can't be cut off in case my finger starts swelling or something like that, and they'll have to amputate the finger instead of cut the ring off. :eek: :eek:

Tried to get a better pic of the design, but my phone decided to focus on my fingers instead.

IMG_20120509_092936.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I primed the stand with some primer my dad already had, and it is ludicrously seafoam green. :eek:

Archived