jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

New thread: http://www.nano-reef...lows-is-reborn/

Spoiler

Edited by jedimasterben, 18 April 2014 - 06:19 PM.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL
Did a bit more planning out, and got a nice surprise from my LFS - he's gonna sell me a rimless Deep Blue frag tank (48x24x12, 60g) for the same price as the normal! Hell yeah!

Also figured out where it is going to be in my living room. The mrs. agreed to the location and everything!

I will probably make the stand first, as to get the tank I will need to sell an LED kit that I won at an LFS raffle, and that will be in at some point in the next two weeks or so.

I've also decided for flow I will just use dual MP10wES or a single MP40wES. They're hella expensive, but customization is something I'm all about, and after using four Koralia nano's for flow in my 55g, I don't think they'll cut it in the wider tank, not with SPS. If anyone has some help or any of the powerheads for sale, hit me up. :)

GiantBen

GiantBen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  • Joined 26 Jan 2009
  • North Bay, CA
Sounds awesome. Great deal on the tank btw.

What are your stand plans? I've got the same dimension tank and made the stand exra high (40"). The tank is about chest high, but I didn't want to be stooping to look at it all the time. I thought about going higher, but wanted to leave the option of upgrading to a 120 (same foot print) without building a new stand.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

Sounds awesome. Great deal on the tank btw.

What are your stand plans? I've got the same dimension tank and made the stand exra high (40"). The tank is about chest high, but I didn't want to be stooping to look at it all the time. I thought about going higher, but wanted to leave the option of upgrading to a 120 (same foot print) without building a new stand.

I was gonna custom make mine, too, unless I could find something that I could buy premade that was tall enough (36-42") and wide enough, which is unlikely. Luckily my dad is a carpenter, so it'll take an afternoon or so to build one that could withstand a hurricane. :)

GiantBen

GiantBen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  • Joined 26 Jan 2009
  • North Bay, CA

I was gonna custom make mine, too, unless I could find something that I could buy premade that was tall enough (36-42") and wide enough, which is unlikely. Luckily my dad is a carpenter, so it'll take an afternoon or so to build one that could withstand a hurricane. :)

Sounds cool. I mistyped btw. I meant 48" tall...

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

Sounds cool. I mistyped btw. I meant 48" tall...

jeebus. 48" stand is damn tall!

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
My new stand is gonna be 42 inches talk

OceanariumProject_zpsdcf024fc.jpg

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL
Decided on dual MP10s, much to the dismay of my wallet!

tiomm

tiomm

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 22 Nov 2010
This is will be an awesome tank!
When can we expect pitchuurs?!

21093r53

21093r53

College Reefer

• Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2011
  • Maryland

My new stand is gonna be 42 inches talk

why?
25 cube
250wt Radium 20k, 4 x 24w giesemann actinic+, 16 x 6wt 420nm leds
asm g1-x
50wt ebo heater
SP 3000 powered by JBJ ATO
Deltec GFO reactor
Deltec carbon reactor
Aquamedic triple reef doser
RKL, sl1, net

any questions?

Baltimore Area Reef Hobbyists

feedback can be seen here...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302303

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

why?

Most tanks aren't shallow.

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
18inch tall tank on a 42 inch stand will be the perfect view ;)

21093r53

21093r53

College Reefer

• Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2011
  • Maryland

Most tanks aren't shallow.

18 inches isnt shallow by any means...
25 cube
250wt Radium 20k, 4 x 24w giesemann actinic+, 16 x 6wt 420nm leds
asm g1-x
50wt ebo heater
SP 3000 powered by JBJ ATO
Deltec GFO reactor
Deltec carbon reactor
Aquamedic triple reef doser
RKL, sl1, net

any questions?

Baltimore Area Reef Hobbyists

feedback can be seen here...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302303

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
Well consider a 2-3inch sand bed plus the overflow head and your looking at 14inches of water...which is barely to my short arm elbow. Its relatively shallow for the size cube it is. Jedi..buy me a avast cs2 black pearl and I'll send you three mp10wes :P

Edited by Deckoz2302, 10 April 2012 - 08:37 AM.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL
I'll get right on that one. :P

Got one of the MP10's on the way, still looking for another but probably won't actually get one until after the tank is running.

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
Haha I gotcha. Your gonna love the mp's

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL
I certainly hope so, and I hope they don't create a wicked sandstorm being so close to my sandbed (Tahitian Moon Sand).

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL
Got my first MP10wES in today, and just purchased the second, so it should be here maybe Saturday.

Initial impression:

It's much tinier than I expected, I was thinking it was 4-5", here it is only 2.5-3"! At first I was impressed with the flow, then unimpressed, then impressed again when my SPS started opening up.

I think I'm going to love it. :D

My light kit from one LFS should be in this Friday (yay for free stuff) and I had my friend tell my normal LFS to order me the tank, so it will hopefully arrive this Tuesday or next Tuesday. I will have my dad help build the stand either later in the week or weekend.

I'm debating on ordering the LEDs for the tank now or not. I'd have to completely change up my layout on my current LEDs to get any sort of ok coverage. Plus I'd need a mount for them (it won't be in a closet this time, so I can't just screw it to the wall all afro-engineered-like. Plus I'd have to shell out $400+ right now, and wouldn't get the money for my current LEDs for at least another month. Anyone wanna float me some LEDs? :P

I'm also trying to figure out whether I want to buy more porous rock or just use what I have in the display tank. Both pieces I have are very large and tall, would probably stick out of the water. I can take them and break them into smaller pieces to make my scape, but it would ruin such pretty rocks! lol

I guess if I got all new rocks, it would have to cycle (seeded by my current tank, of course), and that would give me time to make sure the Mrs. won't kill me if I buy the LEDs after spending so much already (she doesn't even know about the two MP10's!). But the rocks would also cost more money ($2 a pound, I couldn't get the reeeeeaaally cheap stuff :( ).

My biggest expense by far with the LEDs would be drivers. I guess I could also use the drivers I have now (Aquastyle's "Maxwellen" drivers, 680ma, 30-72v) on the red, turquoise, and violet, and just buy the others when I order the PWM to 0-10v converter (unfortunately the drivers aren't 0-10v already, only PWM) and the DIM4 to control them.

If I buy just the needed LEDs, drivers, heatsinks, and optics for the XM-Ls it comes to ~$300. Sad face. $60 to LEDGroupBuy, $184 to Steve's LEDs, and $55 to HeatsinkUSA. Then I gotta figure out some way to mount them, which will be pretty easy, but add maybe $20-30 to that. Sadder face.

Well, at any rate, here is the final final final cluster (there will be 6 of them on the tank)
Posted Image

So just to get it set up, I'm looking at another $400 with the rocks. Just spent $440 on two MP10's, the tank will be $250 (though I may be able to trade that light kit I won outright), stand maybe $100. Hope the mrs never asks how much this all costs!! :scarry:

czim

czim

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 20 Jun 2008
  • SW FL
I like the look of those pendants you are planning on setting up and had a couple of quick questions. On the XML's- what kelvin were you planning on using? And, are there going to be any optics on the LED's? I see you are planning on using Steve's drivers for this build, which power supply(s) and drivers were you using?

Looking forward to watching you build this!

btw, I am down in LaBelle...

czim

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
Lol....unimpressed with mp10s....just wait lol...NTM, TSM and reef crest will blow your mind load ;P

Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011
What the heck is "le grill"? lol...simpsons...

MY 55g SPS/LPS holding cell

http://www.nano-reef...s-holding-cell/

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,350 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

I like the look of those pendants you are planning on setting up and had a couple of quick questions. On the XML's- what kelvin were you planning on using? And, are there going to be any optics on the LED's? I see you are planning on using Steve's drivers for this build, which power supply(s) and drivers were you using?

Looking forward to watching you build this!

btw, I am down in LaBelle...

czim

I put the XM-Ls on the back burner for now and will use Luxeon Rebel ES neutrals instead, Steve is gonna be sending me some soon from his first batch. The XM-Ls were gonna be neutrals, so they are 4200-5000k I think. Rebel ES neutrals will be 5000k, so combined with the Rebel ES royals at 440-450nm, it won't be as purple, and the Rebels will be less cost than the XM-Ls but with more coverage now.

Plan is now 7x clusters of
2x Rebel ES NW @ 1A
3x Rebel ES RB @ 1A
1x cool blue @ 700ma (dimmed to less)
1x deep red @ 700ma (dimmed to less)
1x turquoise @ 700ma (dimmed to less)
1x violet @ 700ma (dimmed to less)

Steve's power supplies are Meanwell, and they provide up to 28v, and the drivers can accept up to 25.5v, outputting 25v to each driver. A single driver can run 8x of any Rebel ES at 1A, and the other colors depend on what your total forward voltage is, since each color uses a different amount. I think I will be using a 1A double for the white, a 1A triple for the royals, and then a few singles for the colors, I think red and turquoise are on the same driver, but I may buy another single to run the turquoise separately, as the red will make the light more purple when ran high.

Lol....unimpressed with mp10s....just wait lol...NTM, TSM and reef crest will blow your mind load ;P

I put one on my 55g just because I had already gotten it in, and it immediately blew over several of my SPS that I thought I had glued down lol. I've got it set on NTM right now, not sure if it's doing any more good than just set on long pulse.

What the heck is "le grill"? lol...simpsons...

le grill?

Deckoz2302

Deckoz2302

Stony Reefer

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
You need more then one for NTM and TSM lol... :P and yea...now imagine 3 on half of your tank rofl...6kgph ;P

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Going to be sick!

I love the Le before everything in your diagrams.

MGDMIRAGE

MGDMIRAGE

Land Loather

• Members
  • 3,121 posts
  • Joined 19 Feb 2009
  • Spokane, Washington
Sounds like an awesome tank! Love the dimensions i was drooling over that tank in their catalog.