Cultivated Reef

What is this? It has moved around!

teaklejr

I saw this about 2 weeks ago when looking around at night but then the next day it was gone. I thought maybe I had a few to many and was just seeing things but the yesterday it was back. Now today it has moved to a different spot. Hope you experts can tell from the pics what it is.

post-71146-1333070091_thumb.jpg

Its is more round and flat. Does not look like a Nudibranch to me. I just looked again and it has moved to where I can see what looks like a mouth in the center kind of like a Riccordia mouth how it sticks out a little.

That could possibly be what it is. I just looked at a few pics and saw a few that kind of resemble it but none where the same color as the one in my tank. This thing is basically round and looks to be soft with no hard skeleton from what I can tell. It definitely goes from flat around the outside edges to thicker in the middle. It sure looks like a mouth right in the center. Kind of like this one in the pic but with a more defined pointing center to it. http://www.nudipixel.net/photo/00024309/

A shield slug or elephant slug aka scutus sp. is a type of limpet. It has a head like a snail at once end though it can be hard to see sometimes. They are nocturnal. The commonly hitched ones are black. I have a few in my tank. They have an obvious shell in the center that they cover up with their mantle most of the time, but if you poke it, it will withdrawl a bit into the shell and you will see it exposed like in that last pic.

Look for a snail like head, and the shell.

Archived