SaltCritters.com

My 10 Gallon Nano Reef Build

ReeVo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm setting up a ten gallon tank too. What is the reason for the overflow with a canister filter? Also I want to copy your idea of the second aquaclear. That is pure genius. Also is it absolutely necessary to mod the AC70 or can it just be a refugium by inserting chaeto and adding a light?

The overflow is to capture surface scum, oxygenate the water, to house my heater and ATO. Makes things look a lot cleaner when everything is in there. The ATO also works much more efficiently.

You don't need to mod it but it's best if you do. Makes it so cheato doesn't go into the display. It also gives it a good tumble.

been following for 6 months and still not wet. you suck. :P

It's wet, just been moving slow lol

I'll take pictures of it once my cyano is gone. Just got CUC 3 days ago from reefcleaners.org.

Got a snail only CUC.

Good looking build, looking forward to seeing the livestock.... :)

jan

Thanks jan :)

I hate waiting to stock this tank up.

this all looks oddly familiar ha ha! nice build

haha well your build really inspired me to build up a 10 gallon. Same general idea with a few tweaks :D

UPDATE!

Well I set up the ATO today and it works great. I could not be any happier :D

No more topping off 2-3 times a day. Waking up in the middle of night to sloshing sounds lol

I extended the acrylic tab so the the magnet will not interfere with the switch, and so far so good. I'm using my old Two Little Fishies algae clip. Can't get anymore aquarium safe than that.

My CUC has really cleaned up the tank. Cleaned the glass, stirred the sand, everything I expect from a good CUC.

I ordered it from reefcleaners.org and I would definitely order from them again. They arrived alive, packaged very well, and even gave me extras :D These guys are awesome!

I got the 5.5 gallon kit just because I didn't want to overstock on snails when there isn't much food available. But I basically got the 10 gallon kit because of all the extras lol

It's a mixture of dwarf ceriths, Florida ceriths, small nerites, and small nassarius snails.

I got all snails because I've had a lot of rouge hermits already. I may get a 2-3 scarlets, still debating.

Only live stock I have at the moment is a Black Ocellaris Clownfish, Fire Shrimp, and a peppermint shrimp.

Had a piece of aiptasia growing and the shrimp took care of it within 2 days.

I will be getting a PAR38 12-3W Cree LED bulb from OCReef. That's when i'll start stocking up on corals. I really can't wait for that. Might start off with a few mushrooms, zoas, ricordeas, and a few LPS. I'll make my way up a monti or acro later on.

I'm doing weekly water changes. 1 gallon a week.

My parameters are:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5ppm

Phosphate: Undetectable

PH: 8.0 - 8.2

Temp: 78-80 F

Salinity: 1.024 - 1.025

I am using Red Sea Coral Pro so my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are pretty high. I'm not checking those at the moment but I will soon once I get my LED light.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures. :D

IMG_1674_zpsa6a6e99c.jpg

IMG_1675_zpsa91c1e09.jpg

IMG_1676_zpsa074bfe3.jpg

IMG_1677_zpsfd8a213f.jpg

IMG_1678_zpsc5536ef8.jpg

IMG_1682_zpsc2502a3e.jpg

IMG_1686_zps0fc88bb3.jpg

IMG_1688_zps61b0e1e5.jpg

IMG_1695_zps52e42117.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry for no recent updates guys. Haven't done much lately.But I just recieved my led par38 bulb today and it rocks :)

It's a RapidLED Par38 12 LED with UV. I love this bulb. I can't wait for corals. They will look amazing under this thing.

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

So it turns out that my fuge light is not growing my cheato. I figured it was the light because it’s not a sufficient amount of light. It’s been a month my cheato has been in my fuge and it has not grown at all. Still tennis ball sized, like the day I got it.

My solution to this was to make a new a fuge light with a driver, single LED heatsink and, one Cree LED.

I’m using a moonlight driver by RapidLed and one Cree XP-G cool white.

I sleeved everything to make it look more neat.

I’ll post another update once I fit it over the fuge.

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

Mounted the fuge light today and it is MUCH brighter. I hope my cheato likes this light better. if not, I'm going to change the led to warm white. Here's are a few pictures of it mounted.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Mounted the fuge light today and it is MUCH brighter. I hope my cheato likes this light better. if not, I'm going to change the led to warm white. Here's are a few pictures of it mounted.

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Very cool idea!

Wow, this tank is awesome, its gonna look great with some corals.

Whats your plan, mostly sps, lps, softies or a mix?

Also, what do you do to keep your line down at the bottom of your ato reservoir? I tried using a airline suction cup to hold mine near the bottom but it keeps falling off.

Wow, this tank is awesome, its gonna look great with some corals.

Whats your plan, mostly sps, lps, softies or a mix?

Also, what do you do to keep your line down at the bottom of your ato reservoir? I tried using a airline suction cup to hold mine near the bottom but it keeps falling off.

Thanks bud : )

Mostly softies and lps. I might get a 2 or sps corals.

I use a 5 gallon jug with some rigid air tubing so it says at the bottom. Works like a charm.

Ill take pictures of it to show you.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not yet. ..battling hair algae at the momment :(

How did the CW led work as a fuge light? Growth might be improved with a lower kelvin white...

• 1 year later...

Archived