Cultivated Reef

My DIY Auto Top Off

jakal112233

jakal112233

I just put together this auto top off for my aquarium. I had all the parts except for the float valve so it was pretty cheap to make.

All I did was hook a power head up to some 1/4 inch plastic tubing and hooked the end to one of those mini float valves. The way that my tank is set up, I couldn't use the gravity method so I use the power head to push the water up to the valve. Its just enough pressure let water out when the valve is open, but doesn't let any water out when closed. I just attached the float valve to a piece of plastic that i had to set the proper water level.

post-49322-1333053893_thumb.jpg

post-49322-1333053900_thumb.jpg

post-49322-1333053920_thumb.jpg

I am guessing he has the power head on a timer that kicks on several times a day for a few minutes, at least that is how I would do it... ;)

jakal112233

I currently have the power head going in in half hour intrevals throughout the day. i will adjust it accordingly as needed but so far it is working great for me.

Can you give me a link to where you got that float valve? I have limited space and that float looks much smaller than the ones I have been seeing.. Thanks!

Test it to see what happens if the float valve fails. ATO failures are probably the #1 avoidable reason for tank crashes.

How quickly will the salinity in your tank drop, and how far before the pump runs dry?

nor_cal_nano

Totally not trying to rain on your parade, but that seems like an absolutely terrible idea. You can build a safe and reliable system for the same price, I'm sure.

• 4 weeks later...
joeyhatch11

I bought a float switch off Ebay for $1.75 FREE shipping and a Aqua Lifter Dose pump from Marinedepot for $15. Hose I have so this should be a great little $17 ATO. Going to use one of my 7G blue water jugs under my work bench. That should keep my 15x15x7 work/frag tank in check!!!

You could just place your ato water up high and let it gravity feed to the float valve.

No pump... No timer... less to go wrong... A buddy of mine has his 100g set up that way for years with no issues.

joeyhatch11

I currently have a 50oz bottle with a hose and valve set to a drip, installed on the small frag tank. But it's only good for maybe 3 days max. I need to have something along the lines of 5+ gallons so I dont have to worry about evap when I'm on vaca or away from the shop on my days off. I would love to spend less and get more but having something of that scale hanging above the tank would be an ugly eye sore. LOL The 7 gallon jug I have with the dose pump and float switch will work out perfectly with no worries. I just wish I could have it here already to test and install. I hate waiting.

Archived