Top Shelf Aquatics

Would this work?

Paigee

I plan on upgrading my 10G tank to a 20L soon, and I've decided not to move over the LR because it has become fairly infested with aiptasia and some kind of caulpera (sp?). However, I don't necessarily want to lose all of the good stuff it has to offer, mainly copepods and brittle stars and such. I had an idea to try and harvest some stuff out of the rocks, tell me if this sounds feasible.

I was thinking of doing a FW dip of the rock and hold a big net under it, so when any HH come running out of the rock, they will fall in the net and I can lift them immediately out of the FW and put into the SW. Would that work? Or would they die too quickly?

That has been my only idea so far, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be really happy to hear them!

My only other thought was to take one rock that only has 2 visible aiptasia on it and nuke those and put that rock in as an "island" so if there are any small undetectable aiptasia on there, they can't move onto the rest of the rock. But then, I just don't want to risk transferring in any of the algae or aggressive macro that is in my current tank.

To be honest I would not worry at all about the pods and such. That bio diversity you are trying to preserve will establish itself in time in the new tank. You move coral over you will move pods.. If you want to move some micro brittlestars over just siphone some out and move just them.. but basically it will jsut take time to rebuild from there.

FW dip could kill most of the tiny lil HH your trying to move.. if they are effected enough to go running and screaming from their home then I would say its a bit of a health risk for em also.

I plan on upgrading my 10G tank to a 20L soon, and I've decided not to move over the LR because it has become fairly infested with aiptasia and some kind of caulpera (sp?). However, I don't necessarily want to lose all of the good stuff it has to offer, mainly copepods and brittle stars and such. I had an idea to try and harvest some stuff out of the rocks, tell me if this sounds feasible.

I was thinking of doing a FW dip of the rock and hold a big net under it, so when any HH come running out of the rock, they will fall in the net and I can lift them immediately out of the FW and put into the SW. Would that work? Or would they die too quickly?

That has been my only idea so far, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be really happy to hear them!

My only other thought was to take one rock that only has 2 visible aiptasia on it and nuke those and put that rock in as an "island" so if there are any small undetectable aiptasia on there, they can't move onto the rest of the rock. But then, I just don't want to risk transferring in any of the algae or aggressive macro that is in my current tank.

i was actually thinking about doing the same things... i have these nasty bristle worms that dont do harm to my tank but they just look nasty and i dont want them in my new tank..

Will dipping the corals in Coral RX kill the pods? I plan on dipping my corals before putting them in the new tank because I don't want to get any algae in the new tank.

Hmm alright thanks for the tip! I thought it did kill some algae, thought I read that on the Coral rx website.

Captain Hook

you could try taking a 5g bucket with salt water from your preexisting tank and swoosh the rocks around in it, than pour the contents of the bucket through a sieve or net and try and pick out the live pods/stars and such....

Lol don't worry about pods.

the frags WILL have pods on them and those pods will infest the tank within a matter of days if not overnight.

Archived