Top Shelf Aquatics

Sick xenia

Pipposanta

Hi,

it has been two weeks that my xenia looks bad. You can see it in the photo.

The values are:

nh3 0

no2 0

no3 4

po4 0

ph 8.0

ca 380 (it went down yesterday for a wrong dosing, but it was nearly ok before)

mg 1230

kh 13

I am not currently using carbon or resins. I dose Reef Snow every day.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

post-72590-1332920000_thumb.jpg

Captain Hook

What is your calcium normally at? Xenia likes slightly dirty water compared to SPS and LPS corals. Regular water changes and a good brand salt mix are all you need for calcium and alk, mg.....coral snow is a money grab I wouldnt waste any on it...unless you have sps corals that are using up all the calcium, I would stop dosing everything and just feed your tank and do regular water changes and that will improve it.

my calcium value is normally at 410. by the way reef snow is a coral food not a calcium buffer.

as stated on product page:

Simultaneously delivers appropriate inorganic and organic nutrients required by stony

corals, both zooxanthellate and azooxanthellate soft corals, gorgonians, clams, tube

worms, sponges, tunicates, and other suspension-feeding invertebrates for growth of

both soft tissue and skeletal material.

how's the flow around that area? I had some pulsing xenia in my tank. my first batch (from the same person did not survive). My second batch given a week later, started ok, then looked bad. After a few weeks it finally got use to my tanks flow and started to get super healthy. That or my water just got more dirty from stocking up the tank with more stuff.

Islandoftiki

Your KH seems awfully high for your pH to be that low. Are you sure all of your test kits are giving correct results?

Your KH seems awfully high for your pH to be that low. Are you sure all of your test kits are giving correct results?

I'm sure the kh test gives correct results because I tested it with the provided 6.7dkh test solution and it's ok.

Regarding the ph I have some doubts since the result is always 8.0

nathanq.inc
Xenia is a pest. Let it die.

I disagree, xenia can be a beautiful addition to any tank and if well maintained it can stay that way. It only becomes a pest if you let it.

nathanq.inc

Some authors suggest other wise on the topic of iodine in regards to Xenia. They say it's not required for good health or growth of pulsing xenia.

Archived