SaltCritters.com

Need glue/putty suggestion for dry rock aquascape

Diaper Dandy

Diaper Dandy

Hello,

Just looking for suggestions on some kind of putty or glue to hold together the dry Bulk Reef Supply “Reef Saver” Eco Dry Aquarium Live Rock that I bought. I want to keep a shape I like that would naturally fall over without something to hold it together.

I would use a combination of glue, putty, and most importantly, nylon threaded rods (w/nuts)

usplastic.com has them.

i would use glue and putty to hold things in place while you drill and insert the rods.

Hello,

Just looking for suggestions on some kind of putty or glue to hold together the dry Bulk Reef Supply “Reef Saver” Eco Dry Aquarium Live Rock that I bought. I want to keep a shape I like that would naturally fall over without something to hold it together.

Captain Hook

Ive seen people drill holes through 2 rocks and than zip tie them together, im pretty sure thats a really common way to keep your rocks together, and at the same time it gives them some amount of flexibility as opposed to a solid rock structure

In the UK (don't know if its available in the US) many of us have switched to Epo-putty. Great stuff and cheap.

No need for rods or any other support except while it drys.

Diaper Dandy
I would use a combination of glue, putty, and most importantly, nylon threaded rods (w/nuts)

usplastic.com has them.

i would use glue and putty to hold things in place while you drill and insert the rods.

Thanks, I found them on that site

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx...d=searchresults

I couldn't find any threads showing folks doing this but I'm guessing it is: Drill 2 rocks. Add glue to nylon rod. Insert rod into 1 rock then the other. Let dry. I'm not so sure about how to use the nuts. Would they show outside the rock, and would corraline algae grow on them?

Is Acrylic the same as nylon or is nylon the same as fiberglass?

i use jb waterweld from walmart (under $6) one drop of red and one drop of blue food coloring, and super glue gel from the dollar store (3 pack -$1). the glue holds the rock to the epoxy. although dry rock just regular epoxy without the glue would work ok. epoxy doesnt grab wet rocks really well.

I have the same rocks that you do and they are pretty easy to work with, like Lego blocks. I used Epoxy stick from Mr Foster& Smith I think but you can buy it anywhere. Here is my tank right after filling it with water. I used just small balls of glue in the place where pieces of the rocks touched each other. Now after over 2 months, barely visible.

post-72272-1332961165_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find any threads showing folks doing this but I'm guessing it is: Drill 2 rocks. Add glue to nylon rod. Insert rod into 1 rock then the other. Let dry. I'm not so sure about how to use the nuts. Would they show outside the rock, and would corraline algae grow on them?

I've drilled and used the rods. I don't have pictures on my thread, only a description of what i did.

I don't understand the need to drill and bolt through rods if you use a good epoxy as with Epo-putty. You only need to support them for a while while it cures. Sounds like unnecessary cost and extra work when you can simply support and add the epoxy. You could use acrylic rods to support your reefscape if you wish and once the epoxy has set it will be solid and the acrylic rods or any rods come to that will be redundant but wont cause any harm of course..

Diaper Dandy
I have the same rocks that you do and they are pretty easy to work with, like Lego blocks. I used Epoxy stick from Mr Foster& Smith I think but you can buy it anywhere. Here is my tank right after filling it with water. I used just small balls of glue in the place where pieces of the rocks touched each other. Now after over 2 months, barely visible.

post-72272-1332961165_thumb.jpg

I can't see a thing. Have you tried to lift out a section of the rock though? Do you think it would come out as a whole?

Was you product AquaStik Epoxy Putty from Two Little Fishies or the one in the green wrapping?

Diaper Dandy
I've drilled and used the rods. I don't have pictures on my thread, only a description of what i did.

Can you give me a link to your thread. I have not figured out how to find member's threads unless a link is provided. Thanks.

I checked out the link. Thanks. Does corraline algae cover this well in your experience?

Yes it does get corroline algae etc grow on it plus unlike many epoxy's it does not remove or use oxygen from the tank water if used in the tank, Some epoxys if used in any real quantity will wipe your tanks fish out by causing asphyxiation due to lack of oxygen. Many used to use Milliput here in the UK which needs and strips oxygen from the tank water. Fine if you use it out of the tank and let it cure first but deadly if you use a lot of it in the tank with fish in. Just be careful what expoys you use if you use it in the tank wet.

I can't see a thing. Have you tried to lift out a section of the rock though? Do you think it would come out as a whole?

Was you product AquaStik Epoxy Putty from Two Little Fishies or the one in the green wrapping?

I used Instant Ocean HoldFast Epoxy Stick Bonding Solution. As for the sticking together:

let me tell you how I created my aquascape. I put a large piece of grey paper on the floor to protect it from the sharp edges of the rock and then using masking tape I taped a square of the same size as my tank which is 30" x 12". And this was my working area to create the aquascape. I actually glued everything together outside of the tank and then carefully put the rocks to the tank. The aquascape must be a little smaller then the size of the tank because you have a lip on the top and you don't want the rocks touching the glass. I also measured the height of the rocks to make sure that the top is about 6" below the upper edge of the tank. I don't have a sump so I don't want to expose rocks and now corals to air when doing WC.

I hope it helps.

If you go onto reefcentral.com, there are a few people who have pictures.

You could glue the rods in, but I don't know how well that holds. I'm sure someone else might have experience here.

You use the nuts on opposite ends to hold the rocks together on the nylon rod.

You can use the epoxy to cover the ends of the rods with the nuts on them, thus allowing coraline to grow on them.

Why have I not used super glue and epoxy to simply hold the rocks together?

Because in my experience, they fall apart easily.

I've had to move rock in the water, and sometimes I bump them, and the epoxy simply fell apart easily. I then tried using super glue gel. It fell apart on the third time I had to move my rocks around. You can use a combination, but I said forget it, I'll go with nylon rods.

Here's a step by step guide to how I created my reefscape in my last tank and before I discovered Epo-putty.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthr...8216&page=5

And.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthr...8216&page=6

BTW Epo-putty sets as hard as rock and does not fall away or crumble, it sets very hard and there is no need to provide extra support. Lots of us have used it with great results and its so easy to use.

get a fiberglass driveway marker from a home store, cost under $2 for a 4 foot one. use a masonry bit (mine was 1/4"x6") for under $6. drill the rocks, insert the rods and epoxy them together.

FH00JUN_CONCRE_07.JPG

plus.jpg

1c984858-8219-4230-8e47-466f444c0116_300.jpg

plus.jpg

21008.png

equal_symbol_128x128_reasonably_small.png

duh-winning.jpg

I ordered some of that epoxy to try. Thanks.

I looked at your tank. Your aquascape is gorgeous. Nicely balanced, great colors. One of the nicest I've seen.

atoll great reefscaping by the way.

do you have any steps you did with the epo-putty? i'm curious. If you claim what it does, I would be more than happy to use it on my current aquascape. If i can avoid drilling anything, I'm wiling to try it.

Here's a step by step guide to how I created my reefscape in my last tank and before I discovered Epo-putty.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthr...8216&page=5

And.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthr...8216&page=6

BTW Epo-putty sets as hard as rock and does not fall away or crumble, it sets very hard and there is no need to provide extra support. Lots of us have used it with great results and its so easy to use.

atoll great reefscaping by the way.

do you have any steps you did with the epo-putty? i'm curious. If you claim what it does, I would be more than happy to use it on my current aquascape. If i can avoid drilling anything, I'm wiling to try it.

Thanks neuro.

I use Epo-Putty just as I would Milliput in my "how to" above. However one tip is after mixing the 2 parts let it cure for around 15mins before using it. If the rocks etc aren't self supporting then you need to support them until it cures therefore strong water movement it best avoided while its curing. I have used it to stick all manner of things inc frags to the existing reefscape. Another thing you will notice unlike some other epoxy putty's is that nothing is given off as it cures, no smoke like residue or clouding of the water. Lots in the UK have been using it for sometime now and it does what it says on the tin (that might be a UK terminology) :lol:

Thanks neuro.

I use Epo-Putty just as I would Milliput in my "how to" above. However one tip is after mixing the 2 parts let it cure for around 15mins before using it. If the rocks etc aren't self supporting then you need to support them until it cures therefore strong water movement it best avoided while its curing. I have used it to stick all manner of things inc frags to the existing reefscape. Another thing you will notice unlike some other epoxy putty's is that nothing is given off as it cures, no smoke like residue or clouding of the water. Lots in the UK have been using it for sometime now and it does what it says on the tin (that might be a UK terminology) :lol:

Sweet. I just picked up two orders incase I need it in the future for a larger tank. Thanks for the tips!!!

Archived