28 replies to this topic

Jacob042426

Jacob042426

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,540 posts
  • Joined 24 Dec 2011
  • Miami

Brandon, you need to rewrite the pico guide.

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA

I'm completely unopposed to using any means to reduce water changes and still get same life span, the safe method of aggressive water changes sure is wasteful

Being that I started with a 14G and then started up a 3G I believed there was no escaping the frequent water changes. Are there other things I can do (aside from not over-feeding, etc) that will lessen the need? It would be nice to have the option to skip a WC if needed.

brandon429

brandon429

• Members
  • 5,573 posts
  • Joined 16 Feb 2002
  • Tx
Good phosphate and nitrate binding media + dosing for micronutrients maybe, technically that's why we do all the changes, but finding that mechanical balance is really tough in a pico hence the water changes

I think in the very least fabricating a nice skimmer would help for what you want
one very old pico

Got that way by:
Problem algae growth has nothing to do with excess of anything in many natural settings and in most reef tanks its the absence of something. Find the something, earn an old reef tank.

Quit chasing phosphate. Last decade was nitrate, neither are the something.

gimptastic matt

gimptastic matt

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 11 Mar 2012
  • north wales uk

Good phosphate and nitrate binding media + dosing for micronutrients maybe, technically that's why we do all the changes, but finding that mechanical balance is really tough in a pico hence the water changes

I think in the very least fabricating a nice skimmer would help for what you want

from what ive read is that a small enough skimmer to fit a pico is almost useless
hence with all popualrity of pico tanks there isnt much around on the market
then again they could be wrong?
i feel that by me doing a 250ml water change twice a day and virtually no feeding also with phosphate sponges and chaeto my 2 gallon pico will last indefinatly well hopefully
my dymax iq3 2 gallon pico reef
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=297163