28 replies to this topic

Jacob042426

Jacob042426

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,538 posts
  • Joined 24 Dec 2011
  • Miami

Brandon, you need to rewrite the pico guide.

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA

I'm completely unopposed to using any means to reduce water changes and still get same life span, the safe method of aggressive water changes sure is wasteful

Being that I started with a 14G and then started up a 3G I believed there was no escaping the frequent water changes. Are there other things I can do (aside from not over-feeding, etc) that will lessen the need? It would be nice to have the option to skip a WC if needed.

brandon429

brandon429

• Members
  • 5,316 posts
  • Joined 16 Feb 2002
  • Tx
Good phosphate and nitrate binding media + dosing for micronutrients maybe, technically that's why we do all the changes, but finding that mechanical balance is really tough in a pico hence the water changes

I think in the very least fabricating a nice skimmer would help for what you want

one very old pico

gimptastic matt

gimptastic matt

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 11 Mar 2012
  • north wales uk

Good phosphate and nitrate binding media + dosing for micronutrients maybe, technically that's why we do all the changes, but finding that mechanical balance is really tough in a pico hence the water changes

I think in the very least fabricating a nice skimmer would help for what you want

from what ive read is that a small enough skimmer to fit a pico is almost useless
hence with all popualrity of pico tanks there isnt much around on the market
then again they could be wrong?
i feel that by me doing a 250ml water change twice a day and virtually no feeding also with phosphate sponges and chaeto my 2 gallon pico will last indefinatly well hopefully
my dymax iq3 2 gallon pico reef
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=297163