Pod Your Reef

How long does a BTA take to split once it starts splitting?

C.I._Reefer

C.I._Reefer

Like do they take an hour, a day, a week? I have a beautiful purple tip green BTA that is nearly the size of a dinner plate. I have read a few techniques for making it split, but i am wary to cut it like some ppl do, and it is just simply too large for my DT. I think i am going to try the cold water method, the random direct flow method, or the removal from water method, unless someone has a better suggestion.

jedimasterben
Like do they take an hour, a day, a week? I have a beautiful purple tip green BTA that is nearly the size of a dinner plate. I have read a few techniques for making it split, but i am wary to cut it like some ppl do, and it is just simply too large for my DT. I think i am going to try the cold water method, the random direct flow method, or the removal from water method, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to try and piss it off to get it to split.

Got any pics of it? It sounds amazing.

We as reefers cut up hundreds of doallars worth of corals but shy away from cutting a nem.

Since you dont wanna cut it.. making it mad isn't to advisable either.. what about a trade in at the LFS for a smaller one and maybe something cool on the side or some salt or what ever.. even just store credit maybe?

C.I._Reefer
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to try and piss it off to get it to split.

Got any pics of it? It sounds amazing.

I will try to get pics of it, I just cant seem to do it justice with my crappy P&S. It is cool, The purple tips really stand out under good light. The coloration looks different than a standard green BTA to me, but it was priced as a normal gbta, which was $25. It may very well be just that, but I sure like it either way. I know people have coaxed them to split pretty successfully, which is why i was thinking about it. It looks like it might be starting to split on its own tho, and if that is the case how long does it typically take?

I will try to get pics of it, I just cant seem to do it justice with my crappy P&S. It is cool, The purple tips really stand out under good light. The coloration looks different than a standard green BTA to me, but it was priced as a normal gbta, which was $25. It may very well be just that, but I sure like it either way. I know people have coaxed them to split pretty successfully, which is why i was thinking about it. It looks like it might be starting to split on its own tho, and if that is the case how long does it typically take?

I know you're wary to cut it, but I watched this video 2 days ago, and it seemed like a pretty straight forward procedure, and he says they close on the wound and look "normal" within an hour.

Grumblecakes

guy at my lfs was telling me a customer was trying to get his nem to stay put and rubber banded it to a rock, it ended up splitting where the band was. however the lfs guy didnt know wither it was a BS story or not.

I can see how that would actually work. I just wouldnt want it to be to tight.. and getting it so it splits over the foot would be most important.. I may try this will like a LTA or something some day .. LOL

jedimasterben
I can see how that would actually work. I just wouldnt want it to be to tight.. and getting it so it splits over the foot would be most important.. I may try this will like a LTA or something some day .. LOL

Most anemones do NOT survive after being cut as they don't replicate themselves that way, and I believe the LTA is on that list.

Back to the topic of the thread, my nem split the night before last! He was in one spot when I went to bed around midnight, and at 6:30AM the next morning he looked like this:

IMG_20120327_072014.jpg

Finished that up about 15-20 minutes later.

Archived