Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what is this starfish doing?

loyongbo

so i bought a starfish and i've had him for quite a while now, today after i had dinner i came home and saw him lying in between the leather corals on a piece a rock. i wasn't sure if he was reef safe or not or what type of starfish he was but now i'm afraid my starfish is going to eat my corals, does anyone know what type of starfish he is? (pictured down below)

post-72275-1332770427_thumb.jpg

Does he have bumps on him back. General rule of thumb is that bumpy starfish (big bumps) are very bad, smooth are good. There are of course exceptions. Also starfish feeding requirements are largely guesswork and so cannot be catered for properly. They generally need very large aquariums to survive long term. He will die, but could give you a year or two of pleasure if you're lucky. He certainly looks very beautiful, most likely from the Fromia family. But can't get proper ID from your pic. If he is smooth-ish, then most likely Fromia, who's feeding requirements can be catered for with large amounts of live rock. Hope he is this species as they are reef safe. I think the family that Fromia are from is Ophidiasteridae.

Archived