Cultivated Reef

My 2x20 Clustered LED light

Ocean Flyer

Ocean Flyer

Hi Milad,

I’m into LED soon n wish the HVTV will be released too by then. I'm planning 2x20 clusterd Full Spectrum LED light and will be use on my Rimless 24” cube with mostly SPS and LPS. It will be hanging 12~15”above water line

Here is my plan;

Heat sink – Finned, 16x12” (not confirmed yet)

Driver – Inventronic or Meanwell (not decided yet)

Controller – ProfiLux Light II controller (can provide 4 channels dimming)

Len - 60 degree

Fan – 2x 80 0r 120mm Fan

6x XTE Royal Blue, 1000mA – Channel 1

2x XPE Blue, 1000mA – Channel 2

4x XTE Cool White, 1000 mA – Channel 2

4x True Violet , 600 mA – Channel 3

2x Deep Red , 600 mA – Channel 4

2x Turquiose , 600 mA – Channel 4

Please advice whether my design is good to go ahead…LOL!

post-39694-1332751123.jpg

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

That will be a really white tank with the Blue to White combos. I would suggest switching to Neutral White instead. Everything else looks good.

Ocean Flyer
That will be a really white tank with the Blue to White combos. I would suggest switching to Neutral White instead. Everything else looks good.

If I reduce the current to 700mA for CW, do I still need switch CW to NW?

eg: 6RB - 1000mA, 4CW - 700mA

By the way, the XTE max is 1500mA but if I run half of it, will it loss the efficiency?

Ocean Flyer
Wait, you've got a rectangular heatsink, and want a circular profile per the pic?

Circular heatsink needs to customize which incur higher cost. Beside that, It's easy to diy an enclosure for rect/sq heatsink rather than circular :happy: .

By the way, using rect or circular heatsink for circular profile is not going to affecting the performance of the LED light as such I stick at rect heatsink instead ;) .

FYI, I'm going to integrate 2 clustered LEDs into 1rectangular fin heatsink(size not confirm yet) just slightly similar to Ecotech Radion's shape but with more colours involved to create full spectrum.. :D !LOL!

post-39694-1332810548_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben
Circular heatsink needs to customize which incur higher cost. Beside that, It's easy to diy an enclosure for rect/sq heatsink rather than circular :happy: .

By the way, using rect or circular heatsink for circular profile is not going to affecting the performance of the LED light as such I stick at rect heatsink instead ;) .

FYI, I'm going to integrate 2 clustered LEDs into 1rectangular fin heatsink(size not confirm yet) just slightly similar to Ecotech Radion's shape but with more colours involved to create full spectrum.. :D !LOL!

But if it's going over a square tank, you're gonna have a ton of light spillage on the left and right. I would go with a single square array.

Also look into the 3up NW+RB stars. I would skip over the 470nm blue, as turquoise at 495nm is gonna give you all the color pop you're gonna need at that part of the spectrum.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
If I reduce the current to 700mA for CW, do I still need switch CW to NW?

eg: 6RB - 1000mA, 4CW - 700mA

By the way, the XTE max is 1500mA but if I run half of it, will it loss the efficiency?

Then your tank is going to be a bit dark. Also the XTE is max 1000mA not 1500mA.

M@rine_lover
Then your tank is going to be a bit dark. Also the XTE is max 1000mA not 1500mA.

Same as Ocean flyer, I thought I saw XTE white in the CREE.com stated as Maximum drive current: 1.5 A. How come It's 1A?

M@rine_lover
But if it's going over a square tank, you're gonna have a ton of light spillage on the left and right. I would go with a single square array.

Previously I have the same thought as you till I saw my friend having 2 Radions in his 48" tank without any light spill. I think ocean flyer is using the radion led layout concept of 2 clusters in single set.

Perhap, we must change our mindset and let see what will be the result from ocean flyer after running on his tank.

Ocean Flyer
Previously I have the same thought as you till I saw my friend having 2 Radions in his 48" tank without any light spill. I think ocean flyer is using the radion led layout concept of 2 clusters in single set.

Perhap, we must change our mindset and let see what will be the result from ocean flyer after running on his tank.

haha..you hit the spot :lol::lol::lol: !

I like the way Ecotech design the Radion but feel that there is a let of true violet or UV and some colors and costly too if not, I definitely buy one instead of diy my own -_- .

Just google and you will find that there are ppl using cluster led in their diy led lighting set w/o problem if led spacing, len..integrated correctly.

Same as Ocean flyer, I thought I saw XTE white in the CREE.com stated as Maximum drive current: 1.5 A. How come It's 1A?

May it be the printing error :huh: ?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I extracted first 2 pages from the CREE XTE white data sheet and highlighted with yellow.

Yes but we are talking about the XTE Royal Blue, not the White.

Ocean Flyer
Yes but we are talking about the XTE Royal Blue, not the White.

Please see the page 2, " Flux Characteristics - White (TJ = 85 °C)" table, under Column "Calculated Minimum

Luminous Flux (lm)*". It show that cool white run at the current of 1500mA is 369ml.

iirc, XTE RB is max at 1000mA only.

post-39694-1332989751_thumb.jpg

Archived