Pod Your Reef

Matt's 20L College Reef (Retired)

M&C

They haven't charged me yet. They won't until one ships, but like I said, I don't think that's going to happen. They keep orders open for 2 weeks before cancelling them. Then I'll have to try again next time they're in stock. Ohh well.

In another news, the curse of the salmon continues for me. I am a really avid fisherman, and I've been trying to catch a salmon for 8 years now with no luck. Today I had a great chance out on the Mendocino coast. My buddy invited me out on his boat. He caught one and lost one. I didn't catch one and lost 4. FOUR. Ugh. It was still a beautiful day though, and my friend felt so bad for us (my girlfriend was with us) that he gave us the salmon he caught. It wasn't a total loss. :)

Hopefully there's more PSW in stock soon!

And that was nice of your friend :) We used to fish every summer on our boat, never had any luck with salmon. We caught one that was about 4", but we obviously threw that back. We did have very good luck catching various snapper and ling cod around kelp beds though! (Along with a lot of "salad" :P ) We also had some pretty interesting experiences with dog fish (aka dog sharks), the lure was only hanging in the water a couple inches because we were done fishing and a dog fish still bit it. They're so hard to get off the hook! Ugh.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully there's more PSW in stock soon!

And that was nice of your friend :) We used to fish every summer on our boat, never had any luck with salmon. We caught one that was about 4", but we obviously threw that back. We did have very good luck catching various snapper and ling cod around kelp beds though! (Along with a lot of "salad" :P ) We also had some pretty interesting experiences with dog fish (aka dog sharks), the lure was only hanging in the water a couple inches because we were done fishing and a dog fish still bit it. They're so hard to get off the hook! Ugh.

Cool stories. :)

Why did you release a 4" salmon though?? That's trophy size!! Btw, I'm jelly that you've been fishing up there. I love the Pacific Northwest. I used to live in Washington (Puget Sound)... it's just so gorgeous there. I could easily see myself living (and fishing :) ) there after I've finished school.

Cool stories. :)

Why did you release a 4" salmon though?? That's trophy size!! Btw, I'm jelly that you've been fishing up there. I love the Pacific Northwest. I used to live in Washington (Puget Sound)... it's just so gorgeous there. I could easily see myself living (and fishing :) ) there after I've finished school.

Agreed, we have some beautiful coast line. I am lucky enough to have explored some of it not seen by most because growing up we had a boat. I've seen orcas so close I could touch them and seen old native drawings on cliffs :) among other fabulous wildlife.

How goes the tank? Anything noteworthy? Still no word from LA?

Agreed, we have some beautiful coast line. I am lucky enough to have explored some of it not seen by most because growing up we had a boat. I've seen orcas so close I could touch them and seen old native drawings on cliffs :) among other fabulous wildlife.

How goes the tank? Anything noteworthy? Still no word from LA?

No word from them yet. Oh well...

The tank is doing very well! It's kind of been on autopilot the last week or two since I've been so busy. I think the frogspawn is finally starting to grow some new heads. The acropora tenuis I got a few weeks ago is starting to encrust more on the plug. I've also noticed the orange monti cap is growing like crazy. So yeah everything is good. :)

Any updates on your tank?

No word from them yet. Oh well...

The tank is doing very well! It's kind of been on autopilot the last week or two since I've been so busy. I think the frogspawn is finally starting to grow some new heads. The acropora tenuis I got a few weeks ago is starting to encrust more on the plug. I've also noticed the orange monti cap is growing like crazy. So yeah everything is good. :)

Any updates on your tank?

No my tank is same old mostly. Went through brief random algae break out but that has subsided. I bought a Berghia nudi but I haven't seen it since I put it in the tank 2 days ago, and no aiptasia seem to be disappearing. But I'll give it a while longer before I declare it officially MIA because it could be behind the rocks where I can't see it.

I also still have no word on a PSW. These little buggers are hard to come by!

It's been a while since I've posted an update. I've been really busy lately so everything has pretty much been on autopilot. The tank turned 6 months old today! For the most part everything is doing well, although for some reason I've had a bit of an algae outbreak... not on the rocks, just on some coral frags. I'm going to be dipping them in peroxide next water change. Not sure why it's happening. I haven't had a nitrate or phosphate reading since my tank finished cycling. The only thing I changed about a 5 weeks ago was I started to more regularly feed the LPS and SPS with Oyster Feast and mysis shrimp (once a week). I stopped that about 3 weeks ago, and THEN about a week after that, the algae started popping up. Puzzling.

Other than that, everything is growing well. The SPS continue to look great, as well as most everything else that doesn't have a patch of algae on it. I'm still not getting any coloration out of the chalice. It's been in there for a couple months now I think and it's still brown. If I can get SPS to color up so well, then I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this chalice. I might get rid of it soon.

Anyway, I'll be posting a FTS in the next few days and maybe some other random pictures.

I finally gave in and bought a Tunze Osmolator. That was a tough pill to swallow, but we needed one if we ever wanted to leave the house for more than a day, or two at most. Also, since I am currently topping off manually twice a day, the switch to an ATO will help keep parameters more stable (I dose top-off water with alk).

It's been a while since I've posted an update. I've been really busy lately so everything has pretty much been on autopilot. The tank turned 6 months old today! For the most part everything is doing well, although for some reason I've had a bit of an algae outbreak... not on the rocks, just on some coral frags. I'm going to be dipping them in peroxide next water change. Not sure why it's happening. I haven't had a nitrate or phosphate reading since my tank finished cycling. The only thing I changed about a 5 weeks ago was I started to more regularly feed the LPS and SPS with Oyster Feast and mysis shrimp (once a week). I stopped that about 3 weeks ago, and THEN about a week after that, the algae started popping up. Puzzling.

Other than that, everything is growing well. The SPS continue to look great, as well as most everything else that doesn't have a patch of algae on it. I'm still not getting any coloration out of the chalice. It's been in there for a couple months now I think and it's still brown. If I can get SPS to color up so well, then I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this chalice. I might get rid of it soon.

Anyway, I'll be posting a FTS in the next few days and maybe some other random pictures.

I finally gave in and bought a Tunze Osmolator. That was a tough pill to swallow, but we needed one if we ever wanted to leave the house for more than a day, or two at most. Also, since I am currently topping off manually twice a day, the switch to an ATO will help keep parameters more stable (I dose top-off water with alk).

Hmm that's really strange about your algae problems. It isn't old bulbs is it? I seem to recall you just recently got this fixture/bulb combo. Did a big snail or something die? I don't know! :(

I feel you on the chalice pains. I know we talked in my thread, but I can't get nice colours on mine either. My green with flecks of red one turned dark brown, thought it was gonna die, it's coming back slowly. The other two just look blah. I'll give them a few more weeks, might ditch them. I got two of them online for 9.99 so I'd probably break even trading them in for credit anyways!

Let me know how you like the osmolator! Could you maybe post a pic of how you have it mounted in the tank? I was looking at getting one but I wasn't entirely sure how it mounts, and it has to fit in a small space. Also, does it come with a pump?

Hmm that's really strange about your algae problems. It isn't old bulbs is it? I seem to recall you just recently got this fixture/bulb combo. Did a big snail or something die? I don't know! :(

I feel you on the chalice pains. I know we talked in my thread, but I can't get nice colours on mine either. My green with flecks of red one turned dark brown, thought it was gonna die, it's coming back slowly. The other two just look blah. I'll give them a few more weeks, might ditch them. I got two of them online for 9.99 so I'd probably break even trading them in for credit anyways!

Let me know how you like the osmolator! Could you maybe post a pic of how you have it mounted in the tank? I was looking at getting one but I wasn't entirely sure how it mounts, and it has to fit in a small space. Also, does it come with a pump?

Yeah the bulbs are new so I'm pretty sure that's not what is causing it. I did a big tank-cleaning yesterday and removed all the algae so hopefully it doesn't come back. I ended up getting rid of the chalice yesterday too. I gave it a good couple months to color up but it didn't, so out it went.

I'll definitely post some pictures and a short review on the Osmolator. It does come with a pump, unlike some of the cheaper ATOs like the JBJ. That's one of the reasons it's more expensive in the first place.

Yeah the bulbs are new so I'm pretty sure that's not what is causing it. I did a big tank-cleaning yesterday and removed all the algae so hopefully it doesn't come back. I ended up getting rid of the chalice yesterday too. I gave it a good couple months to color up but it didn't, so out it went.

I'll definitely post some pictures and a short review on the Osmolator. It does come with a pump, unlike some of the cheaper ATOs like the JBJ. That's one of the reasons it's more expensive in the first place.

Probably a good call on the chalice. If it doesn't make you happy, it's taking up valuable real estate in our small little reefs :)

I'll await your review of the Tunze, I'm interested to hear about it. I think that's the one I will go with, only thing is that it has to fit in one specific spot in the AIO chamber. If not, I'll have to find something different! I'm sure it makes your life easier though! Topping up is such a pain.

I'll await your review of the Tunze, I'm interested to hear about it. I think that's the one I will go with, only thing is that it has to fit in one specific spot in the AIO chamber. If not, I'll have to find something different! I'm sure it makes your life easier though! Topping up is such a pain.

Well I installed it this afternoon. When I first opened the box, I was a little intimidated by all the different cords, tubes, parts, etc., but after getting everything out and organized, it turned out to be pretty easy to set up. The directions they provide could be better, but they are clear enough to help. If you get it, make sure you suck on the end of the metering hose to get the top off water flowing through it (kinda like starting a siphon). I was confused as to why it wasn't working until I did this to clear the air out of the hose initially.

As far as looks... well it is what it is. It has a pretty small footprint, but you'll still notice it in your display (and of course this will be true for any ATO you buy). My next tank build, however long down the road, is definitely going to include a sump just to hide the equipment. I don't like it all that much but it does make your life a whole lot easier not having to worry about topping off once or twice daily. Also, I'm looking forward to being able to leave the house now for more than a day or two at a time. The trade-off is worth it.

Despite it's looks in the display, I'm still glad I got the Osmolator instead of a cheaper ATO. I would recommend it simply for the fact that it gives me more peace of mind knowing there are two water level sensors instead of your typical single sensor. If the primary electronic sensor fails (which I have never heard of happening), you'll always have the float switch there as backup.

Hope this helps with your decision :)

Hi Matt!!!!! Just got caught up on your thread :)

Still no wrasse?

I believe it's quite common for a tank to get an outbreak of algae around the 6 month mark. Sounds like you are right on track :P

Any idea what kind it is?

Congrats on the ATO. They are magical pieces of equipment :lol:

Hi Matt!!!!! Just got caught up on your thread :)

Still no wrasse?

I believe it's quite common for a tank to get an outbreak of algae around the 6 month mark. Sounds like you are right on track :P

Any idea what kind it is?

Congrats on the ATO. They are magical pieces of equipment :lol:

No wrasse! The order was cancelled after two weeks, so now I have to wait until they are back in stock before trying again. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure it was some kind of hair algae. I removed as much as I could, and then dipped the affected coral frags. There are still a few isolated tiny patches here and there but they're hardly noticeable now.

And yes I love the ATO! Everything is easier now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, I'm going backpacking in Yosemite for a few days next week. I'm leaving my place in 2 days, and of course of all the times it could have happened, I discovered tonight that one of my acropora frags has red bugs. 2 days before I leave!! This sucks. I'm not sure what I can do on such short notice. I think I'm going to dip it in CoralRX, and brush off what I can with a toothbrush before I leave. When I get back I'll do some more research and treat it properly.

Matt! How are things!? Did you get rid of the red bugs?

Also, hint hint, the PSWs are back in stock now :)

Things are doing well. Not great... I mean you can't expect everything to look pretty after a week-long vacation. But so far everything looks like it's in good shape. I'm not sure about the red bugs. After dipping is CoralRX and gently scrubbing the acro with a soft toothbrush, I haven't seen anymore. Although I have read that the only way to really get rid of them is a dip in Interceptor, which I do not have. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

I got an in-stock notification email from Liveaquaria for the PSW, but I've kind of hit a money-block at the moment. I need to prioritize tuition, textbooks, and other bills for my upcoming semester, so it might be a little while before I put anymore money into this tank (besides for routine maintenance).

I just realized I haven't put up a July FTS yet, and I don't think I'm going to. Again, everything looks a little bleh after not getting any attention while I was away. I'm going to make things pretty and vibrant again, then post some more pictures. The tank has seen a lot of growth lately, so I'm looking forward to share that here on NR.

Things are doing well. Not great... I mean you can't expect everything to look pretty after a week-long vacation. But so far everything looks like it's in good shape. I'm not sure about the red bugs. After dipping is CoralRX and gently scrubbing the acro with a soft toothbrush, I haven't seen anymore. Although I have read that the only way to really get rid of them is a dip in Interceptor, which I do not have. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

I got an in-stock notification email from Liveaquaria for the PSW, but I've kind of hit a money-block at the moment. I need to prioritize tuition, textbooks, and other bills for my upcoming semester, so it might be a little while before I put anymore money into this tank (besides for routine maintenance).

I just realized I haven't put up a July FTS yet, and I don't think I'm going to. Again, everything looks a little bleh after not getting any attention while I was away. I'm going to make things pretty and vibrant again, then post some more pictures. The tank has seen a lot of growth lately, so I'm looking forward to share that here on NR.

Yeah I hear ya on the post-vacation bleh's. My tank did the same thing. I'm sure yours will bounce back quickly :)

I meant to ask you about the osmolator - is there anyway you could post the measurements of how wide and deep it is? I have a specific spot it has to go and I'm not sure if it will fit! Thanks :D

I also understand the money prioritization... Tuition and textbook bills are looming! No fun. But this is my last year :) !

• 1 month later...

Archived