ReefCleaners.org

Matt's 20L College Reef (Retired)

M&C

Looks like things a going your way and the algae problems are solved. I really like the birds nest and plan on getting one for my tank as soon as I make some changes and thin out some other stuff.Great job ;)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like things a going your way and the algae problems are solved. I really like the birds nest and plan on getting one for my tank as soon as I make some changes and thin out some other stuff.Great job ;)

Thanks! The algae problem was fixed as soon as I realized the mangroves I had were dying and leaching nutrients. Once those were out, everything cleared back up. And yeah, birdsnest corals are amazing! Especially the ORA green. It's probably the brightest coral in my tank. iPhone pics don't really do it justice.

Thanks for checking out the thread B)

I really like the new frags :) Awesome bonus one too!

Thanks Paigee! I was really happy with how this order turned out. :happydance:

Great looking stuff. Very nice torch!

Thanks! I love Euphyllias. I only wish I had room for a hammer coral to complete the trio.

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Haha yup! I feel a little weird for getting THAT excited when I saw it, but it's a big reason why I got clownfish in the first place. They were only in it for a few minutes today, and I failed to get a picture. Hopefully they start hanging out in it more often

TheKleinReef
Ahh!! My clownfish were swimming around in the torch! omgomgomg

My clown almost killed my torch hosting it. But mine is really small (2 heads) so yours might be able to handle it. Good luck and beautiful tank :)

buddythelion

Looks like you got a nice tank coming along! I'm from SJ and also in college, whattyaknow?!

Have you swung by Neptunes before? They're a good store to go by. The only LFS I know in SF with decent corals is Aquatic Central.

My clown almost killed my torch hosting it. But mine is really small (2 heads) so yours might be able to handle it. Good luck and beautiful tank :)

Thank you! Mine has 4 heads, 3 of which haven't fully split apart yet. It doesn't seem to mind, but then again, they haven't really started swimming through the tentacles yet. They just kind of hover around and occasionally brush up against it. I'll keep a close eye on it though.

Looks like you got a nice tank coming along! I'm from SJ and also in college, whattyaknow?!

Have you swung by Neptunes before? They're a good store to go by. The only LFS I know in SF with decent corals is Aquatic Central.

I have heard of Neptunes but I haven't checked them out yet. I live in the North Bay (Marin County) so I'm pretty sure that's at least a 1.5 hour drive one way. I've just been ordering my corals and livestock online. I've had good experiences with Cultivated Reef and Vivid Aquariums.

Thanks for checking out the thread. B)

Big update! I'll let the pictures & video do all the talking. omgomgomg:happydance:

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

The torch coral doesn't seem to mind at all. She's been going at it for the last hour now and the tentacles are all nicely extended. My other clown is on the other side of the tank... he looks lonely. I have a feeling she doesn't want him near her new home.

That's so awesome! Congrats :)

Thanks! Today was the first day I saw her actually swimming through the tentacles like that. I think the trick was to just put the torch where they like to sleep. It's pretty exciting. She won't let the smaller clownfish in with her, but she tolerates his presence near the torch. I think that's a step in the right direction to a true pair.

Just a quick update: About a month ago I fragged a single zoanthid off a big colony rock that was infested with pests. For the first few weeks it didn't really grow, but literally in the last week--one week--it's gone from one polyp to 7. I can't believe how fast it's growing. I see a new baby every day now almost.

dallasprstn

saw your post on a different thread and took a second to look through this thread. the tank looks awesome! i'm jealous of that torch. i thought i had a green torch, and after seeing yours, mine looks brown. lol, i like the slimer too!

saw your post on a different thread and took a second to look through this thread. the tank looks awesome! i'm jealous of that torch. i thought i had a green torch, and after seeing yours, mine looks brown. lol, i like the slimer too!

Thank you! The pictures don't even do it justice. If you're interested, Vivid Aquariums sells frags and colonies--they call it an electric green torch. Do you have a build thread for your tank? I only see one for the pico contest.

dallasprstn
Thank you! The pictures don't even do it justice. If you're interested, Vivid Aquariums sells frags and colonies--they call it an electric green torch. Do you have a build thread for your tank? I only see one for the pico contest.

no problem!

and i'll check that out! if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

also, i only have one thread up, which would be my pico. the torch is actually a colony i've grown of about 5-7 heads in my 180, but i haven't ever put up a thread for it because i didn't really think it fit under the "nano-reef" size. i might put one up just on it just for kicks though. :P

no problem!

and i'll check that out! if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

also, i only have one thread up, which would be my pico. the torch is actually a colony i've grown of about 5-7 heads in my 180, but i haven't ever put up a thread for it because i didn't really think it fit under the "nano-reef" size. i might put one up just on it just for kicks though. :P

I can't remember exactly. I snatched up a 4-head colony from their WYSIWYG section for $60, which was a pretty good deal. A 1 head frag is normally $30, 2 heads are $50, and 3 heads are $60 according to their website.

As far as the build thread, go for it! NR has a forum section for non-nano tanks.

dallasprstn
I can't remember exactly. I snatched up a 4-head colony from their WYSIWYG section for $60, which was a pretty good deal. A 1 head frag is normally $30, 2 heads are $50, and 3 heads are $60 according to their website.

As far as the build thread, go for it! NR has a forum section for non-nano tanks.

i've never ordered coral from online, and its kind of scary, but i may give it a try. DId you order from them and if so, how was the process? Thanks, Dallas.

As for the big tank, I'll post one up whenever i get the chance! It's been up for about 3 months now, but it's pretty well stocked. the only thing is that i'd have to post a bunchhhhh of photos for all the coral. i mean, who doesn't like showing off their tank? :P

i've never ordered coral from online, and its kind of scary, but i may give it a try. DId you order from them and if so, how was the process? Thanks, Dallas.

As for the big tank, I'll post one up whenever i get the chance! It's been up for about 3 months now, but it's pretty well stocked. the only thing is that i'd have to post a bunchhhhh of photos for all the coral. i mean, who doesn't like showing off their tank? :P

The more pictures the better! I'm actually trying to type less and post more pictures lately. Everyone likes pictures! To answer your question, I've ordered from them twice now. I've had one good experience, and one bad (aiptasia, which I thankfully took care of before they spread). They have a great reputation, so I'm going to chalk that first bad experience as a fluke. They also have a truly amazing selection of corals. I'll order from them again sometime this summer. The only thing is, most websites have a minimum order total you need to reach before they'll ship to you. For Vivid Aquariums, it's $150 before taxes and shipping. If you order less than $150, the shipping rate goes way up, depending on where you live. If you order at least $150, it's $20 flate rate overnight shipping.

I went to my LFS today and saw a beautiful blue millepora colony. Blue mille = my dream coral. I just about lost it when I saw that it was only $30. I normally see blue mille FRAGS for $40-$70. I couldn't resist that sweet deal so I went and bought it. I'll get some pictures up tonight.

Well it turns out my phone is completely incapable of capturing blue colors, so you'll all have to use your imagination for the new millepora.

Nice contrast with the slimer

IMG_0332.jpg

I think this one captured the blue the best, but it still sucks. In real life it has a nice, soft, powder blue color

IMG_0323.jpg

Under actinics/magentas

IMG_0339.jpg

Some other pictures:

Moved the monti caps over to a single rock, hoping they'll grow into each other. Note the photo-bombing clowns

IMG_0329.jpg

Whammin Watermelons made it out of quarantine a few days ago. They're looking great under the improved lighting

IMG_0336.jpg

Watermelons under actinic/magenta

IMG_0337.jpg

buddythelion

Try World Wide Corals and Phil Your Aquarium next time you order online. Give PYA a PM/email though about shipping, it might be a few dollars cheaper since you're from CA.

WWC is an amazing site to buy from. Nothing is freshly fragged and it really is WYSIWYG.

And you thought your torch was green... BOOM:

http://www.worldwidecorals.com/product_p/r4-7c.htm

^ I actually want that, but shipping killsss.

Try World Wide Corals and Phil Your Aquarium next time you order online. Give PYA a PM/email though about shipping, it might be a few dollars cheaper since you're from CA.

WWC is an amazing site to buy from. Nothing is freshly fragged and it really is WYSIWYG.

And you thought your torch was green... BOOM:

http://www.worldwidecorals.com/product_p/r4-7c.htm

^ I actually want that, but shipping killsss.

I've definitely heard some good things about PYA, and I'll check out World Wide Corals. Thanks for the suggestions! That torch is really nice btw, but I think mine is more neon green than that one. My iPhone can't capture the true colors of the corals I have so my pictures will always be kind of sucky :(

Archived