Cultivated Reef

MiniMalistic Pico by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

d'Espresso

Everytime I come visit your page I am always tempted to build a pico tank once more. I love your build but is there any more updates pictures of your tank or creation?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NanoTopia

Thanks d'Espresso, it's a lovely compliment to be an inspiration. I will see what pics I can find and maybe take a few more tonight and post :D.

NanoTopia
Drool... That 2nd pic is so sexy! Lol

What you did new on the last pic?

Yes... the sexy shrimp, I plan to get more, and some anemone shrimps. Nothing new in the filtration dept. Just reactor, skimmer, heater, matrix, floss, and return pump. I got it all in there.

Your overflow blows my... mind.

Why iball, I think it's pretty straight forward as far as overflows go. I got skilz with the dremel.

I got skilz with the dremel.

You did all of that with a Dremel? :huh:

I figured you had to have access to a fancy and fully equipped shop. I'm even more impressed now!

NanoTopia
You did all of that with a Dremel? :huh:

I figured you had to have access to a fancy and fully equipped shop. I'm even more impressed now!

The majority was done with a dremel and sand paper, no technology here at all, no fancy shop.

Inspiring tank. Great work. I wish for my new tank to come out half as decent! Any comments on the lighting? That is my next purchase- I'm thinking of copying you. Would you do anything different? Again, A+ !!

Inspiring tank. Great work. I wish for my new tank to come out half as decent! Any comments on the lighting? That is my next purchase- I'm thinking of copying you. Would you do anything different? Again, A+ !!

Thanks Divine, I'm pretty happy with the lighting, 4 cree cool white and 2 cree royal blue. That's 18 watts total over 3 gallons. I have a digitata encrusting that has been in the tank for a week or so, I can see growth, as with all the corals in there. I don't think I would do anything differently except make a bit of a skirt around the leds, they are a bit blinding. Don't know if you have seen the thread for the LED build or not, here it is anyway: Pico LED Build

d'Espresso

I think this tank need an update pictures!

What do you feed your sexy shrimp? I just got a pair and they just immediate went to my little maxi mini lol :P

I think this tank need an update pictures!

What do you feed your sexy shrimp? I just got a pair and they just immediate went to my little maxi mini lol :P

I have fed them frozen mysis shrimp (one big one each) or med pellet. I am getting them used to feeding with foreceps. I just hold it next to them and they jump on it. Feed once a day and they will not eat your corals. Mine are hosting all my corals but I have not seen them picking. I will take an update soon, I'm out of town right now.

Dude, awesome tank! I have a question about your reactor; how did you make the lid? I have a 4g Starfireglass with a 4g acrylic refug/sump in the back but I can't find a reactor that will fit height wise in my setup until I saw yours.

Dude, awesome tank! I have a question about your reactor; how did you make the lid? I have a 4g Starfireglass with a 4g acrylic refug/sump in the back but I can't find a reactor that will fit height wise in my setup until I saw yours.

It's dudette, and thanks. Well it's difficult to explain how I made the lid. Basically two pieces of round cut acrylic, one smaller with a concave grove which holds the "o" ring which keeps the tension for holding the lid on tight and sealed. The two pieces were glued together. It did take some time to get the exact grove depth needed. Hope this helps.

Sorry, don't run into too many women in the fish forums, unfortunately, lol. Anyway, that did help. I guess I just needed a better mental picture. How is it working so far? I think I may try a similar build. Is there any advice or anything you would do different if you had to build it again? All in reference to the reactor.

Sorry, don't run into too many women in the fish forums, unfortunately, lol. Anyway, that did help. I guess I just needed a better mental picture. How is it working so far? I think I may try a similar build. Is there any advice or anything you would do different if you had to build it again? All in reference to the reactor.

I think I am pretty happy with this first attempt, I would design a better way to keep the screens/floss stable in the reactor. They tend to get pushed around a little. This can cause loss of media out of the reactor. No other changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been paying much attention to my pico lately, still some things I would like to do. Here's the way it's looking today anyway.

7337979440_15675fa01f_z.jpg

7337982030_2b10a5d124_z.jpg

d'Espresso

So much joy on this sexy tank! Just sit back and relax. And watch it grow! Do u have any fish beside the sexy shrimp?

• 2 weeks later...
albertthiel
I decided to turn an old 5 gallon rimless tank into a pico by building in an overflow. I figure I will have about 3 gallons display space. The theme is "minimalistic" in the display, BB and a small dry rock island. LED lighting (not yet decided on a fixture). No fish or inverts except for some snails. Have not decided on coral as of yet but it will be something LPS and colourful. I'm using a lot of spare parts that were kicking around. Here's some picks of what I have done so far, more to come as the build progresses.

7013120575_004787924e_z.jpg

7013120281_5f7745f90f_z.jpg

7013120921_473c7025e8_z.jpg

Nice design ...

Albert

Nice design ...

Albert

Thanks, I have replaced the return outlet with black Loc-Line 1/2 inch

I see you keeping it bare bottom too!

This is working very well for me, I just take a turkey baster once a day and blow off the rock and bottom. So much easier to keep clean.

Archived