Innovative Marine Aquariums

Canon EOS Rebel T2i?

Zer0

How is this camera? I see a pretty good deal on it at BestBuy, and I was just wondering how good of a camera it is. 18.8MP is a lot, but there's more to great photographs then just megapixels right? It comes with a standard 18-55mm lens. How is that lens as well? Should take nice pictures right? How close to the object would I need to be to get a nice macro shot?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

all of it.

Still not helping me on trying to understand if I should get that camera, or a different one within the same budget range.

does it feel good in your hands? are the menus easy for you to navigate? if yes, then buy it. if not, then buy something else.

It's really all about performance more than anything else when it comes to cameras. For the most part, the sensor itself is the same. Some have better metering, better Auto focus, better build, etc.

If you want good macro shots then you need a good macro lens. The camera itself is just a stepping stone. The t2i is a solid camera worth having. Your lens selection is the most important part.

I have the t2i and use the stock lens for 90% of my shots. The other 10% I use a sigma macro lens. Great camera, easy to use and the software that comes with it is pretty nice. Feels good in your hands easy to make adjustments or custom settings.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably be going with the T2i or something cheaper like a used 40D or T3.

I advise against the t3... It has very low performance. It still produces good images and is very light wieght though. The number one problem I have with the T3 is that it is the only model that does not support the wireless shutter release (RC-6).

It is as good as the camera's that are 2 and 3 times the price, it is not as durable however. Definately a good starter DSLR, IMO. Get a Macro filter set for it or a 160 dollar macro lens and it will suit most needs.

• 2 weeks later...
pics

Most definitely! But I bought it through ebay, so it needs to get here first though lol. But as soon as it comes in, I'll probably take a gillion pictures immediately. :P

Hey guys, what's that photography forum everybody here talks about? It was suggested to me once before but I can't find the post it was in :P

Can anybody speak to this lens? I'm looking for a really nice, but fairly cheap Macro lens to take super close up pictures of things in my reef and many other things.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=m...mp;ved=0CA8QrhI

Does anyone have any recommendations as well? I have the Canon 550D btw..

Macro on a typical lens like the one above only means that that is the focal length for the highest magnification on that lens. While telephoto lenses do get close up to the subject and make a nice bokeh at the same time, your still not gonna get anything "super close" with the minimal focus distance being 37 inches.

If your current lens and turn it around... it will be a real macro lens. not as easy to use or as effective as a lens made for this though.

Macro on a typical lens like the one above only means that that is the focal length for the highest magnification on that lens. While telephoto lenses do get close up to the subject and make a nice bokeh at the same time, your still not gonna get anything "super close" with the minimal focus distance being 37 inches.

If your current lens and turn it around... it will be a real macro lens. not as easy to use or as effective as a lens made for this though.

I don't think I am understanding what you mean with the whole focal length and what not.. could you recommend a lense? Telephoto.. macro.. whichever?

m76w7k.jpg

:3

Anyone know any good image hosting sites? I used to use imageshack but I can't now because the files are all too large :P

I don't think I am understanding what you mean with the whole focal length and what not.. could you recommend a lense? Telephoto.. macro.. whichever?

Ok... I'm gonna start with macro. Macro means to have a magnification of 1:4 or larger on the sensor. Take a penny for example. If the image of a penny goes through your lens and is captured onto the sensor as actual size, this would be a 1:1 macro or "lifesize". Just to be clear, open the front of the camera, raise the mirror and put a penny right on the sensor. That is how it should be captured to be 1:1 macro.

Each lens has a minimum Focus distance. on the sigma 70-300 that distance is 37.4 inches. it can not focus any closer than this. The sigma 70-300 actually has a decent macro ability which is a 1:2. The biggest downside to this lens is that without image stabalization, you will never be able to shoot anything with it handheld. You will also need a higher end tripod to hold it steady for macro shots.

the next thing that is for good mention. Most lenses get the sharpest image at f\8. Trying to get photos of a reef tank at such an aperture can be next to impossible if there is any movement happening. This is where you can play with your kit lens to decide what qualities you need in the next lens. Some of the best photos I have taken in my reef were with a 28mm f/1.8 just because of how sharp the lens is at a wide aperture. The magnification is only 0.18 though.

Lenses I would recommend.... That really comes down to how much you are willing to spend. With your interest in macros, the 100mm would no doubt jiggle your jollies. This is a fairly expensive lens and hard to recommend as a first lens purchase though. The 60mm 2.8 is essentially the same thing but the minimum focus distance is about half that of the 100mm.

With the 60mm macro, you have to get to 7.9 inches from the subject to get the full 1:1 ratio. the 100mm gives more play room since the minimum focus distance is 12.2 inches. For the big kicker... that distance is not the front of the lens to the subject. It is the distance from the sensor to the subject which means that on the 60mm lens, there is about 2 inches between the front of the lens and the subject if you are going for 1:1. This may actually never bother you though.

Two large advantages to the 60mm is that it is much cheaper and the focal length allows you to be closer to your subject. Inside the tank, the 100mm is the better option. Outside the tank, I would rather have the 60mm. Again, casual photography can help you decide. Personally, If i can get a tack sharp image at a 1:2 ratio, I am more than happy. I do want at least half of my 3" clown fish to be in the frame. the 60mm is more usefull to me overall as I take most photos from within flash range.

The best advise I can give as far as what lens to buy, It would be the 55-250 with IS as a second lens to go with the 18-55mm kit lens, assuming the 18-55 is what comes with your camera. It is a good quality lens for a low price and can be found used for about $150-$175 in mint condition. With these two lenses, you can really get a feel for various focal lengths and determine your shooting style.

If you want to be close range and wide angle, your first macro lens might be better as the 60mm. If long range is your cup of tea then you may decide to blow past the 100mm macro and hold off for a 150mm macro. I don't know how good these macro lenses are at long range but every time I see scenery shots with them, people always claim them to be the "sharpest lens in their collection"

Focal length is the distance between the lens element and the sensor. the focal lenght of an 18-55mm lens is 18-55mm.

m76w7k.jpg

:3

Anyone know any good image hosting sites? I used to use imageshack but I can't now because the files are all too large :P

I use photobucket. The images are auto scaled down to about 1000x1000 pixels though. This isn't a problem though.

flickr is best for image quality but is the biggest pain to manage. photobucket is easier but rapes the quality of your photo.

there's also picasa but i don't know if it is good or not.

I got a t2i as a Christmas present. Although I am very grateful, I probably would have picked a different camera. It feels tiny in my hands and I had a hard time felling comfortable with it. I picked up a battery grip from Amazon and it made way easier to hold. I was a bit leery of it because of all the reviews but I decided to take a chance because the price. I also picked up 2 extra batteries and a bag as well. The total cost was around $50

It works perfectly and I haven't had any problems with it.

Here is the link for the grip: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QZ6SIY/

Now I am happy as can be with the camera.

I actually love the way this camera feels, it's pretty incredible. I wouldn't change it really, but thanks for the link to that stuff.

I'm also using flickr now, it's actually a really awesome hosting site, and once I run out of free space, I see myself paying for the unlimited space they offer.

Nice Gameboy :wub:

On my Flickr account, I've got easily 300-400 pictures, and I'm not a premium member :lol::scarry: Good thing is, once you pass the free 200 pic limit, as soon as you buy the membership, all those pictures are restored.

Nice Gameboy :wub:

On my Flickr account, I've got easily 300-400 pictures, and I'm not a premium member :lol::scarry: Good thing is, once you pass the free 200 pic limit, as soon as you buy the membership, all those pictures are restored.

Thanks! :3

7071756083_6d33ae7086_c.jpg

Not sure which camera you have and how big your photograph files are, but the ones that come out of the 550D are pretty large. I have about 20 photos on my flickr account right now and I'm at 36% :/

Archived