inTank Media Baskets

Algae on my new candy cane frag

M&C

Beginner here... I recently bought a small candy cane colony with about two dozen heads, and there's a bunch of algae on it that I can't get to (because the spacing between the heads is too small). My question is: what is the best way to clean off this frag? I've read that LPS corals don't tolerate h202 dips very well, but I'm not sure what else to try.

If it help, I've noticed two types of algae on it: a little patch of what I'm sure is bubble algae. The rest of the algae is reddish/brown and looks tough/coarse. There's also some off white looking stuff on some of the red/brown algae, which I am assuming may be a fungus.

Any input would be appreciated.

Edit: Of course I would never buy a frag like this if I saw the condition it was in... but I guess that's the biggest problem with ordering online.

You just apply the peroxide with a dropper while the frag is out of water so you can pinpoint the target. Wait one minute while it treats, rinse, reinstall algae dies in two days. Use a new bottle of peroxide not a used

bhskicker18
You just apply the peroxide with a dropper while the frag is out of water so you can pinpoint the target. Wait one minute while it treats, rinse, reinstall algae dies in two days. Use a new bottle of peroxide not a used

I sorta have the same problem, can you apply the peroxide to the cyano on the flesh of the coral too?

bhskicker18
No I would rinse that of with a jet of water/something gentle but a targeted physical removal

Do you have a pic

No, the LED's are off right now and it takkes a while to ramp up. I can get some tomorrow though

Archived