11 replies to this topic

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland

Over the past few days I have noticed that my Euphyllia Hammer Coral has sprouted a longer than usual tentacle. It's slightly translucent, out all the time and has a bulbous tip rather than the classic hammer/anchor shape. Anyone know what it might be? (it has just recently grown another mouth as well, had it for just over 3 months)
P1100753__1024x809_.jpg

P1100747__1024x575_.jpg

Jacobnano

Jacobnano

The Middlebury College Reefer

• Members
  • 12,040 posts
  • Joined 13 Apr 2009
  • Yakima, Washington.
Sweeper tentacle. It is longer so it can sting stuff around it.

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are

Sweeper tentacle. It is longer so it can sting stuff around it.

And to help get food.

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
Thanks! I thought that's what it might have been but I was just double checking. It's a bit frightening how long it is... anyway of reducing the size? spot feeding?

Edited by nathanq.inc, 24 March 2012 - 10:06 AM.

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

Female reefer

• Members
  • 5,929 posts
  • Joined 21 Feb 2011
  • Bay Area, California

Thanks! I thought that's what it might have been but I was just double checking. It's a bit frightening how long it is... anyway of reducing the size? spot feeding?

Sweepers can get up to 6 inches long be sure to watch out for the corals near it. Euphyllias usually put out sweepers when the flow is too high, so you may want to look into that. I've never heard of them putting out sweepers for food, nor have I witnessed it, but a good feeding is always nice.

You're the type of man who passes by sports illustrated and grabs encyclopedia brittanica when you take a dump, huh?

Did someone mention Alto ???
Im GAGA for Alto !!

I'd give you a hug but you might stab me

29 gallon reef; 20 gallon angler lagoon

Posted Image

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
Cheers, i'll keep an eye on it :) make sure it gets no where near my duncan haha.

godfathernikki

godfathernikki

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Joined 24 Feb 2008
  • Az
That only happens to mine when I put it too close to another coral. I think it can sense it is there somehow and tries to sting it. If you give the offending coral some more distance, the tentacles will shrink back down to normal size.

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
I think the offending coral is my Kenyan Tree. It's living right behind it in the shelter of a dark cave. It seems to be stuck pretty fast but I'll try and get it out tomorrow during my water change.

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

Female reefer

• Members
  • 5,929 posts
  • Joined 21 Feb 2011
  • Bay Area, California

I think the offending coral is my Kenyan Tree. It's living right behind it in the shelter of a dark cave. It seems to be stuck pretty fast but I'll try and get it out tomorrow during my water change.

Why would you have a kenya tree in a dark cave?

You're the type of man who passes by sports illustrated and grabs encyclopedia brittanica when you take a dump, huh?

Did someone mention Alto ???
Im GAGA for Alto !!

I'd give you a hug but you might stab me

29 gallon reef; 20 gallon angler lagoon

Posted Image

Euphyllia

Euphyllia

http://youtu.be/nvcKv85FcYU?t=26s

• Members
  • 7,642 posts
  • Joined 06 Apr 2010
  • http://youtu.be/VlWGfYN0mGY?t=34s

Why would you have a kenya tree in a dark cave?

It will still grow if its getting a bit of light... You can't kill those things! :lol:

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
Between my serpent sea star and my late tuxedo sea urchin I couldn't keep track of where they were dragging the little bugger to. He's quite a bit bigger than when I last saw him.

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
took him out of his cave and moved him, still sweepers from the hammer but I'm not too bothered, they add a bit of variety to the rest of the tentacles and aren't in touching distance of any of my other corals :). I found some more mushrooms under the rock as well!