Cultivated Reef

Help ID please!

PeteyC

So Ive been trying to fight this algae problem for 3 months now and im losing. I had some GHA but thats mostly gone since getting new bulbs for the T5 and lowering my phos to 0. But this red algea is a problem it does not want to go away no matter what I do. My water is good, I have a big wad of cheato in the fuge so nitrates are almost always 0 and my ph stays a steady 8.3. My calc is at 450 alk 3.0 meq and mag 1400. I do a 15% wc every week. I have been putting hydrogen peroxide on it directly and at first it looked like it was working because the algae starting turning white but after a day it got even brighter red. I have kept hitting it with peroxide for a week and a half now and I dont think its working at all. Honestly im not even sure what kind of algae this is so I really dont know how to treat it. I have attached a pic so please help me ID and kill this anoying red algae

post-25346-1332607657_thumb.jpg

It seems to be dying judging by the white

We haven't seen an algae resistant to peroxide yet so there are a few variables to check

Red algae take the longest to die compared to green varieties

And, the bottle should be new/unopened not a weak used bottle

how do you apply it to the target, where is the tank water during your treatment

Ive been taking that rock out and pouring peroxide on it directly,then let it sit for about two mins and then put it back in the tank. I noticed it getting white but then it came back stronger and more red. Im going to continue hitting it with peroxide but it just seems to not be working. I have blue leg hermits and turbo snails in the tank but they wont touch the stuff even the white part which is weird. Also the bottle I had was new but after the first dose out the bottle it seemed like it did less and less.

We will have to keep watching, it was five days for the red patches to die off in the peroxide threads...nothing about the algae you pictured seems different than the hundreds of other treaters I can't wait to see how it looks next week

Archived