13 replies to this topic

nystang

nystang

Reefer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2012
  • Brooklyn

A lot of things happened last night in my tank but this is definitely weird at least to me. One of my hermit crab, lefty his shell, killed one of my Mexican Turbo snails, entered into his shell, kicked out the rest of his meat and took over his shell. Now he lives in it, walks around the tank like nothing happened. The turbo snail shell is a few times bigger than the original hermit's shell. Here is the pic.
hermit.jpg

thermosts

thermosts

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • Joined 10 Feb 2009

A lot of things happened last night in my tank but this is definitely weird at least to me. One of my hermit crab, lefty his shell, killed one of my Mexican Turbo snails, entered into his shell, kicked out the rest of his meat and took over his shell. Now he lives in it, walks around the tank like nothing happened. The turbo snail shell is a few times bigger than the original hermit's shell. Here is the pic.
hermit.jpg

This is actually quite common. I don't keep hermits in my reef tank because the are snail killers. I use only snails and micro brittle stars in my clean up crew.

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA
Have a plenty of empty shells of all sizes available so they don't kill snails.

Seiryoku

Seiryoku

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 6,160 posts
  • Joined 01 May 2006
  • Sacramento, CA

Have a plenty of empty shells of all sizes available so they don't kill snails.

+1 I hate hermits...

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
My hermits kill each other more often than not

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,781 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York
You can have empty shells around but if the crab wants to take the snails, he's going to take the snails.

Click the Icons for links

Kats.png max.png TOTM.png featuredRB.png NLOGO.jpg MDfish_White_Background_copy_bigger.jpg JBJ-Cubey-3-Gallon-Desktop-Aquarium-Blac

cal10lee

cal10lee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 19 Sep 2011
This just happened to me last night as well too... no more hermits for my next tank

drunkenmonk21

drunkenmonk21

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2011
  • Illinois
IMO hermits are pretty destructive, I dont like having them myself, always find them tearing into somthing.

nystang

nystang

Reefer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2012
  • Brooklyn
Well, my CUC is in trouble. I had 4 peppermint shrimps that started to pick on my duncan and frogspawn, my crab killed a snail, one so far, other crabs are bothering my corals making them to close completely, so I don't know what CUC I should create to be reef safe and do the job.

Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011

+1 I hate hermits...

OMG YESSSS DOWN WITH THE CRABS!

My favorite are: Super tongan nassarius (aeration, algae and cool to look at), astrea (GHA), Sandsifting star (eats meaty bits left over, detritus, and aeration of sandbed), cerith snails (I have tons of these, great for aeration, and algae), and newly aquired emerald for bubble algae and other macros.

Edited by Captain Hook, 02 April 2012 - 06:00 AM.

MY 55g SPS/LPS holding cell

http://www.nano-reef...s-holding-cell/

nystang

nystang

Reefer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2012
  • Brooklyn
I have only 2 nassarius, 10 astrea, 2 emerald, 9 Mexican Turbo snails and a couple of red tip and scarlet hermits. I think I will search for some sandsifting stars now.

boxboy

boxboy

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,465 posts
  • Joined 17 Oct 2011
Hermert crabs sux.
Thay have always ate my snails no matter what i did. so I just use sand siffting starfish. mirco stars. turbos. and anything els that wont eat other parts of my cuc.

Sub

Sub

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • Joined 11 Jan 2012
scarlet hermits are very peaceful.

Corals!  

10g+20g frag tanks, 8g biocube, 12g Aquapod, 50g Rimless Breeder, 90g Oceanic Tech

rc_Sub_sig.png

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 5,879 posts
  • Joined 29 Sep 2009
  • Evanston, IL

scarlet hermits are very peaceful.

+1. Never had an issue with a scarlet. Though, they don't work as hard as some of the other hermits.
74wp.png6ygv.png5cx1.pngxooo.pngxq0e.pngR2Fe5xc.gif