Coral Vue Hydros

This is weird

nystang

A lot of things happened last night in my tank but this is definitely weird at least to me. One of my hermit crab, lefty his shell, killed one of my Mexican Turbo snails, entered into his shell, kicked out the rest of his meat and took over his shell. Now he lives in it, walks around the tank like nothing happened. The turbo snail shell is a few times bigger than the original hermit's shell. Here is the pic.

post-72272-1332600549_thumb.jpg

A lot of things happened last night in my tank but this is definitely weird at least to me. One of my hermit crab, lefty his shell, killed one of my Mexican Turbo snails, entered into his shell, kicked out the rest of his meat and took over his shell. Now he lives in it, walks around the tank like nothing happened. The turbo snail shell is a few times bigger than the original hermit's shell. Here is the pic.

post-72272-1332600549_thumb.jpg

This is actually quite common. I don't keep hermits in my reef tank because the are snail killers. I use only snails and micro brittle stars in my clean up crew.

drunkenmonk21

IMO hermits are pretty destructive, I dont like having them myself, always find them tearing into somthing.

Well, my CUC is in trouble. I had 4 peppermint shrimps that started to pick on my duncan and frogspawn, my crab killed a snail, one so far, other crabs are bothering my corals making them to close completely, so I don't know what CUC I should create to be reef safe and do the job.

Captain Hook
+1 I hate hermits...

OMG YESSSS DOWN WITH THE CRABS!

My favorite are: Super tongan nassarius (aeration, algae and cool to look at), astrea (GHA), Sandsifting star (eats meaty bits left over, detritus, and aeration of sandbed), cerith snails (I have tons of these, great for aeration, and algae), and newly aquired emerald for bubble algae and other macros.

I have only 2 nassarius, 10 astrea, 2 emerald, 9 Mexican Turbo snails and a couple of red tip and scarlet hermits. I think I will search for some sandsifting stars now.

Hermert crabs sux.

Thay have always ate my snails no matter what i did. so I just use sand siffting starfish. mirco stars. turbos. and anything els that wont eat other parts of my cuc.

Mr. Microscope
scarlet hermits are very peaceful.

+1. Never had an issue with a scarlet. Though, they don't work as hard as some of the other hermits.

Archived