Pod Your Reef

Aquascape

Iam King

What a good epoxy for aquascape LR,BR all the rock I receive is big pieces that is in the tank cycling now.I would like to break them into pieces to change the aquascape if I take them out of the tank will this mess up the Cycling process?

What a good epoxy for aquascape LR,BR all the rock I receive is big pieces that is in the tank cycling now.I would like to break them into pieces to change the aquascape if I take them out of the tank will this mess up the Cycling process?

Not for the sake of assembling them. You may have a bit more dieoff, and it may cause a bit of a spike. But since your already cycling it shouldn't matter.

I would say do it now before your done so you don't cause your tank to cycle again if there is dieoff from it being out of the water for an hour or two.

Fix-it-Stick from Lowes or Home Depot. came reccomneded to me from reputable reefers in my area. I use it with no problems thusfar (but in still learnin)

It was also reccomended to mount frags

I have ripped down the liverock and re-scaped it post-original cycle with no recycle afterward. Just keep the rock as wet as you can or in a bucket of saltwater, take it out, break it up, dump it back in.

IMHO----careful how many pieces you epoxy together. You dont want to end up with a 30 pound epoxied chunk of rock you have trouble moving later.....:)

I used a marine expoxy from home depot.

Which brand do u have? The one I seen their on the package says not to use with aquariums.

Which brand do u have? The one I seen their on the package says not to use with aquariums.

I threw the package away and I have it in a ziplock bag now. My husband works there so I told him what to get. I think it was called AquaMend or something like that. Come to think of it, I assumed he got it at work but he may have gone somewhere else and not told me. Oh well.

I usually just use the super glue on small stuff anyway. The only thing I used the putty on was my toadstool leather.

im using jb water weld now, i like it a lot compared to the pc products stuff i was using before. it doesn't make the skimmer go crazy, cures whitish instead of gray, and really bonds well under water. a lot of the epoxy's ive tries cure best out of water. unfortunately its about twice the price of the other stuff.

JMCollins24

I've used the loctite stuff from walmart and it seems to work really well and it's really cheap ($4) and does the trick :) It comes in a blue stick

What you decide to use could depend on the size/weight of the rocks in question. for bigger pieces that are heavy I've used emaco from marco rocks. Sets fast cures over night and us basically cement that is bonded with acrylic and is non toxic. I have used it successfully in several scapes and re-scapes with no ill effects to livestock.

For smaller nano pieces 2 part epoxy putty used with super glue gel would be best, uncomplicated and fast. The 2 part epoxy is available in purple color which is pretty natural looking, but hardens very very fast so you have to mix small amounts and work quickly.

northeastern

unless your amazingly slow braking your rock up you'll be fine spike wise. Not a ton of stuff will die being out of water for a min or two.

unless your amazingly slow braking your rock up you'll be fine spike wise. Not a ton of stuff will die being out of water for a min or two.

I haven't see anything from the live rock I don't think it will have any die off.

Archived