inTank Media Baskets

Nitrate test shows a light blue-ish colour which isnt on my chart...help

tysfoot

Hi,

Im the 8th week into my fluval edge converted to marine

I have 2 clown fish, a shrimp and hermit crab

I did a nitrate test and it shown up as 0.50 so as well as my weekly 25% water change on Monday i did another 25% water change today

I then did another nitrate test but the colour came up like a very light blue-ish colour, this colour wasnt on the chart but if i had to choose which colour it most looked like i would say the colour next to 0.25

I am aware that i have to get it to 0 so i will do another 25% water change in about 4 days time

Is a light blue-ish color a good color to have and would you say its near 0.05 - 0

thanks for the advice guys

C.I._Reefer
Hi,

Im the 8th week into my fluval edge converted to marine

I have 2 clown fish, a shrimp and hermit crab

I did a nitrate test and it shown up as 0.50 so as well as my weekly 25% water change on Monday i did another 25% water change today

I then did another nitrate test but the colour came up like a very light blue-ish colour, this colour wasnt on the chart but if i had to choose which colour it most looked like i would say the colour next to 0.25

I am aware that i have to get it to 0 so i will do another 25% water change in about 4 days time

Is a light blue-ish color a good color to have and would you say its near 0.05 - 0

thanks for the advice guys

What brand test kit? My nitrate kit doesn't read below 1.00 are you sure it is nitrate and not nitrite?

What brand test kit? My nitrate kit doesn't read below 1.00 are you sure it is nitrate and not nitrite?

Hi,

Sorry it is Nitrite, im new to all of this.

The brand is API

it ranges from 0ppm to 5.0ppm

It is light blue but the closest match is purple which is 0.25

altolamprologus
Hi,

Sorry it is Nitrite, im new to all of this.

The brand is API

it ranges from 0ppm to 5.0ppm

It is light blue but the closest match is purple which is 0.25

A pure light blue means there is no nitrite. There should be a color square for 0 ppm. If it's closer in color to .25 you are still cycling.

If you are in doubt take some fresh salt water mix, test it for nitrite in a separate tube and then compare both tubes. The fresh water should be absolute zero.

Archived