Pod Your Reef

The Official PicO Aquariums owners thread

PicO Aquariums

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PicO Aquariums
The build process email was a nice touch. Put a big smile on our faces (the wife and I).

One question. Can you black out the rear for us? It will partially be hiding the wires and bits. Would that be extra? If so, any recommendations for a tiny DIY for that?

Already had it planed to do that for you. No worries, your getting a PicO-pico :D

i ordered one. sup now suckas? nipco aquarium>yours. thanks again pico aquariums

:happydance::ninja:

I'm excited to get my MR 18! The anticipation is killing me!

Unfortunately you guys are kicking my ass and I am behind a bit. :owned: :owned:

Should be catching up this week though and at some point UPS may figure out how to get my supply of return pumps here :lol: .

Thanks!!

I knew from the start PicO was the way to gO. B)

I only ordered it a few days ago, and am already dying to get my hands on it. My house isn't even completely built yet either... wonder if they would let me cycle a tank on the counter anyways? hehe :P

• 2 weeks later...

I Just ordered my DB18 and am very excited. I would love to get some insight as to which light fixtures everyone is using as I am debating between these two?

Sunbrite Slimline:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/lighting/...te-slimline-led

or the AI Nano:

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/AI-NANO.html

The wife really wants a fixture as she doesn't want me hanging anything from the ceiling in this particular location so she is leaning more towards the Subrite, but I have seen some "custom" made fixtures attaching the nano's to shelf support etc.

Does anyone have either of these on their tanks now? Would the Sunbrite even fit on the DB18 (thin or wide mounting leg?)

Any help, or any other light recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Definitely want to go LED.

My Ridge had been running for about a year now. Sadly it has been repeated to QT duty and doesn't get much attention since I completed my 27g (also by PicO). This is an older pic but nothing has changed equipment wise. I did add a glass lid over the display area.

7caa9749.jpg

My 27g

Glass cut by Chris, but assembled by me so he is not to fault for the seams

634f357d.jpg

Sorry, this was not meant to be a rhetorical question at all. Just curious as to what others are using on their pico's. I really like the pics above as they do give me some other ideas. I appreciate it!

PicO Aquariums
Sorry, this was not meant to be a rhetorical question at all. Just curious as to what others are using on their pico's. I really like the pics above as they do give me some other ideas. I appreciate it!

You could go Kessil or do a PAR bulb with a nice goose neck mount or track lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
pico-reefer

Tank should be arriving tomorrow.. waiting impatiently :happy:

Tank arrived about 20 minutes ago. I think I'm the first to say this, but i'm not really impressed.

Theres a couple things wrong with it.

the AIO section isnt square, theres a gap on the left hand corner, and where the intake is, its got a "curve" to it, where if you put something square next to it, you can see it.

It looks like where the return is, he cut the AIO section alittle short, and just shimmed it with another peice of abs and siliconed it in, IMO, witht eh money you pay, it should have been re-done, correctly. it seems like he just wanted to get it done. Here are some pics ( sorry for the bad quality)

You can see where he added a small peice to make up the gap,

tank3-1.jpg

Here you can kind of see the gap at the left hand corner, in the back,

tank5.jpg

and you can see how its not square,

tank4-1.jpg

PicO Aquariums

It's not a shim. It's there to add more sealant area on that side to keep the wall from separating. With your tank being a custom unit you didn't get a full insert like the production units have.

That's the reason for the shifting.

If your not happy with the unit Pack it up and I will have UPS pick it up and I can refund you.

I want everyone I deal with to be happy with there purchase.

Custom tanks are the hardest part of what I do. Which is why I keep flip flopping back and fourth on doing them and not doing them. They rarely meet everyone's expectations.

PicO Aquariums

You might be the last one :P

Remember the talk we had!

pico-reefer please don't think any of this is directed at you.

It has been a discussion I have had with a few people about the deteriorating quality and missed deadlines due to little mistakes in ordering or packing and taking on too much with the custom work. I am thinking of dropping the custom work " again " and getting back to what i do best. I have been promising a ATO unit, skimmer and Overflows for months but have no time to get to them and I would love to get the acrylic tanks moving along also.

Boo..

But that would make my tank even more unique, if you weren't building any more customs. hah!

Mine was perfect. Couldn't be happier.

Everyone that has seen it has just about crapped themselves. I am fresh out of cards to hand out. Going to get even greater responce whenever i get my light installed, and some LR in it.

Being custom we need to expect some defects, problems, delays... Much like ordering a custom anything. Car, boat, house, furniture... everything "custom" costs double and takes twice as long.

Mine being perfect, within a reasonable amount of time, and such great quailty/design more than makes up for any bickering i may have.

Great customer service aspect means im a customer as long as im in the hobby. Keep it up!!

PicO Aquariums
Boo..

But that would make my tank even more unique, if you weren't building any more customs. hah!

Mine was perfect. Couldn't be happier.

Everyone that has seen it has just about crapped themselves. I am fresh out of cards to hand out. Going to get even greater responce whenever i get my light installed, and some LR in it.

Being custom we need to expect some defects, problems, delays... Much like ordering a custom anything. Car, boat, house, furniture... everything "custom" costs double and takes twice as long.

Mine being perfect, within a reasonable amount of time, and such great quailty/design more than makes up for any bickering i may have.

Great customer service aspect means im a customer as long as im in the hobby. Keep it up!!

Don't worry I can give you more cards when I send the skimmer your way

It's the defects I don't want. The problem currently is a lack of time to give the attention needed to each custom build. Unfortunately the other option is delay and as many have seen I started the year at two weeks and I am up to 4 weeks now ready to push out a 4-6 week time frame.

Quality and customer service are my main goals and all it takes is a few defects to kick me in the ass and get me back in that frame of mind.

Being a super small business just means I have to work twice as hard to get and retain my customers.

I think delay is going to be the new direction for me. keep in mind I don't just put my label on a tank mark it up and ship it out. I take sheets of glass and plastic and make it into the quality aquarium you get, with my own two hands. Made in the USA in a long lost trade known as "Hard Work" :P

Detritus07

Just ordered a starfire Barracuda. I've got a couple evil par38 bulbs handy. Would one be ok?

No way the wife would go for me buying another light.

NanoOrBust
Don't worry I can give you more cards when I send the skimmer your way

It's the defects I don't want. The problem currently is a lack of time to give the attention needed to each custom build. Unfortunately the other option is delay and as many have seen I started the year at two weeks and I am up to 4 weeks now ready to push out a 4-6 week time frame.

Quality and customer service are my main goals and all it takes is a few defects to kick me in the ass and get me back in that frame of mind.

Being a super small business just means I have to work twice as hard to get and retain my customers.

I think delay is going to be the new direction for me. keep in mind I don't just put my label on a tank mark it up and ship it out. I take sheets of glass and plastic and make it into the quality aquarium you get, with my own two hands. Made in the USA in a long lost trade known as "Hard Work" :P

I don't know about everyone else, but I can definitely say that I would rather wait an additional one to two weeks for a top quality product that was custom made. If you don't want to wait... Walmart or Petco is just down the street! :lol:

I don't know about everyone else, but I can definitely say that I would rather wait an additional one to two weeks for a top quality product that was custom made. If you don't want to wait... Walmart or Petco is just down the street! :lol:

I agree with this statement. There is an extremely popular tank builder whose lead times are regularly in excess of 6-8 weeks and people don't complain. Just be realistic and upfront about the wait times. People value quality and cost, and will wait awhile to get it.

Which leads to the truest line ever: Fast, Quality, Inexpensive.... pick 2.

PicO Aquariums
Just ordered a starfire Barracuda. I've got a couple evil par38 bulbs handy. Would one be ok?

No way the wife would go for me buying another light.

Yes one would be enough IMO

fingerscrossed

I agree with this statement. There is an extremely popular tank builder whose lead times are regularly in excess of 6-8 weeks and people don't complain. Just be realistic and upfront about the wait times. People value quality and cost, and will wait awhile to get it.

:lol:

Love that.

That's going in the list of PicO t shirts.

I just ordered a Deep Blue 18 and am really excited to see that there are so many happy customers already out there. I have also sent at least three emails and each one has been a same day response. So far so good!

-Chris

Deleted User 4

:lockdown: +1

Archived