ReefCleaners.org

Need Assistance with Dismantle

Jmifland

I have a Fluval Edge that I was using for awhile but started to realize how much of a pain it was to work with and upgraded. I was thinking about removing the top plate of glass and turning it into a small rimless aquarium and maybe making it an acan nursery. Does anyone have any idea how to break the silicone hold that it currently has? I don't mind using a chemical fluid to break it down because I have more silicone that I can use to make sure the side panels have no holes from melted silicone. I attempted to use a razor but the glass is so close together that I don't think it is going to work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I was using a razor blade the other night and it didn't seem like I was getting too far. Maybe I just need to be patient and take my time getting it done. Beats spending $109.99 on an ADA rimless tank I was looking at.

Beats spending $109.99 on an ADA rimless tank I was looking at.
At first, I read this as "Bets on spending $109.99 on an ADA rimless tank I was looking at?" :lol: I was going to say that'd be a decent bet.

I know it not the same quality, but you might consider a Mr. Aqua tank instead.

I have a Mr. Aqua tank already and I love it but I was looking for a small shallow aquarium and Mr. Aqua doesn't have one already made. They do custom orders but I get really bad shipping rates from them since I live in Florida. I ended up just putting a towel onto the surface of the Fluval Edge and hitting it with a hammer a couple times. It was must easier to remove the glass from the silicone little pieces at a time instead of working on the entire plate. Aquarium looks great rimless and is the perfect size for the Acan nursery I plan on setting up. Now I need to think about how many Par30 bulbs I am going to need to order from BoostLED. I already have one so I am going to test it over the tank and see if I need to get one or two.

Well you could use a glass cutting tool and score the top. then carefully break it in the center.. you would make smaller pieces and possibly be able to flex the seam to get the blade in to cut the silicone in the seam itself. On the fluval tanks the razor is larger than the seam so extremely difficult to get the blade in without chipping the glass...

I haven't tried this before so its just a suggestion.. use at your own risk...

Try a good quality box cutter, utility knife. The blade is a little thicker and you can get more leverage.

I think acetone will eat it away, but may too hard to keep it from dripping into the seams you don't want it in.

The top of the aquarium has already been removed. Took me about five minutes to do it with the hammer and then remove the small pieces from the silicone one at a time. Then it took me another 2-3 minutes to remove the fragments that I placed inside the aquarium to a cardboard box that I am placing into a compacter at work. I just need to clean the coralline from the glass and remove the excess silicone on the top and the aquarium is good to go. Probably going to fill it with water and check for leaks as well as find the spot I would like the water level to be at so I can determine what the sand level should be. Anyone know how many Par30 BoostLED bulbs I would need for this aquarium to sufficiently illuminate acan corals?

Archived