SaltCritters.com

Bio pellets for a Nano Reef?

Red Sea Reefer

Red Sea Reefer

I'm interested in incorporating bio pelets into my filtration on a bio cube 29. Anybody have experiance with this?

My understanding is that a skimmer is important when useing bio pelets. Will the tunze 9002 do the job???

I am setting up a fluval 306 cannister filter tomarrow and plan to run BRS GFO/Carbon in it. I was considering adding bio pelets to the other media basket. Flow for the filter is about 300 gph. What are your thoughts on this?

bobssecrtsn

not with the canister filters. pellets needs a nice tumble. if not then they'll start sticking together, unless your planning to shake the canister every day. invest in a MR1 shorty. thats a really good reactor and a tunze9002 would be perfect. for it .

So i have also been thinking about using pellets in MY BC but everywhere i read says the outlet for the reactor should go into the skimmer, is this mandatory or is it ok aslong as i have a good skimmer on the tank?

• 3 weeks later...
bobmonkey11

i have recently successfully set up a biopellet reactor for my cube. it is absolutely necessary to have the biopellets tumble in the reactor. It is also absolutely necessary to have a skimmer as the biopellets will increase the amount of bacteria in your water column which uptake nutrients such as nitrate and phosphate. When established you will see that the skimmer pulls much more skimmate than usual. this is a direct result of the biopellets. i also suggest if one were to start a biopellet regimen that they seed the reactor using microbacter7 and reef biofuel.

i also suggest if one were to start a biopellet regimen that they seed the reactor using microbacter7 and reef biofuel.

+1

I was considering carbon dosing(vodka) and the MB7 seeding is very important IMO

Check sunnyx's guide

This is one of the most incredible blogs Ive read in a very long time. The amount of information in here is stunning, like you practically wrote the book on the subject. Your blog is great for anyone who wants to understand this subject more. Great stuff; please keep it up!

led flood light

The reactor can be anywhere, intake should be from the first stage or tank itself and the out take should go to the skimmer intake.

+1 on seeding, MB7 works well. Also, I dose potassium, this will become depleted over time when running BP's

Below is a modified Vertex reactor I did, the modification allows for control of out take without affecting the tumble rate:

6704225907_59bd877ced_z.jpg

Archived