SaltCritters.com

Gillz's 8g Cadlights Build

KMitch

Welcome Nano-Reefer's! :welcome:

I am excited about rejoining the saltwater reef club with my new CadLights 8g tank build! I have kept a variety of SW reefs over the past few years with the most recent being closed down due to a crash and moving. After being out for awhile I was hit with the bug to keep a tank again, but this time I figured I'd opt for something nice and small.

Lots have changed in the past year - suddenly LED lighting technology isn't unreasonably priced and has become the better way to keep a tank! I didn't want a traditional all-in-one like the Nano Cube as I've been dissatisfied with my previous purchases of those tanks. The CadLights looked like a nice option and since I am not planning to keep SPS the lighting fixture was more than adequate.

I ordered my supplies from Marine Depot and purchased some live rock from a fresh shipment (I like getting my pick of the rock) and it's been curing in my kitchen in a bucket for several days.....

Can someone please tell me what this all means?

Supplies.jpg

liverock.jpg

Yep!

I have ordered a 8g Cadlights and am ready to plop this all in there.

Unfortunately the FedEx man decided it should be signature required for delivery so I have to wait until he delivers again tomorrow. Argh! :angry:

Well FedEx man left me a box today....

DSC_5863.jpg

DSC_5864.jpg

DSC_5865.jpg

DSC_5866.jpg

DSC_5867.jpg

DSC_5869.jpg

:tears::angry:

So I called CadLights and they're going to send me a replacement. Unfortunately I'm traveling for work next week so that live rock is probably going to spend a little longer in that bucket than intended. FedEx was pretty rude when I called them about it too.

The light fixture was a little cheaper looking than I was expecting but is pretty bright. I got the small pump, which apparently was an issue for other folks who bought the tank. Interestingly nothing else was broken except the tank back which was odd considering the top cover was packed outside of the glass tank. :huh:

I would be so mad at UPS.

Bleh!

Me too... except it was FedEx. UPS has shipped tanks to me before without issue.

If I didn't have to send the old tank back to CadLight's I'd try to cut the back off and cut a new piece of glass just for the kicks of it, but no dice. If you look at the packaging it really doesn't look too bad.

To CadLight's credit, people complain about the customer service but they answered the phone when I called and were all over getting this fixed. Can't argue.

Sorry FedEx. I have had bad experiences with both.

Yeah bummer, I bet their going to do the same and just repair it and resell or send it back to you.

Sorry FedEx. I have had bad experiences with both.

Yeah bummer, I bet their going to do the same and just repair it and resell or send it back to you.

They're sending me a new one today and lord knows what they'll do with this one. I had to send them photos so they could get FedEx to pay the bill. Presumably if they can recoup the cost of the tank from FedEx they can just trash it and it's not worth the cost to repair?

They're sending me a new one today and lord knows what they'll do with this one. I had to send them photos so they could get FedEx to pay the bill. Presumably if they can recoup the cost of the tank from FedEx they can just trash it and it's not worth the cost to repair?

Not if 4 out of 5 panes are fine. I would personally think it would be less to just remove the damaged one and replace it at the cost of the one pane of glass vs the 5.

IDK they are sending you a whole new one. I would be PO if I was FedEx! HAHA

IDK they are sending you a whole new one. I would be PO if I was FedEx! HAHA

I actually called the FedEx dispatch center next to my house and talked to the shipping manager there and he was going to have a chat with the driver. He saw the pics and agreed someone got overly eager with the box for it to be packed that well and still be broken!

I actually called the FedEx dispatch center next to my house and talked to the shipping manager there and he was going to have a chat with the driver. He saw the pics and agreed someone got overly eager with the box for it to be packed that well and still be broken!

Good I mean it was marked Glass and Fragile! WTF they can't read now? LOL

I would have let them know that they are now footing the bill for the replacement per the contract with the company and shipping! LMAO that driver needs a lesson in package handling. ;):P

Although I hate waiting, only to find out it's broken! :rant:

No kidding. I was so excited I considered taking the day off work. Glad I didn't! hah!

Tell them to keep it there? Or just get someone to wait around and sign for it.

Sadly it's a big state and I'm visiting the wrong part. But my man will be around and he can sign! ;-)

So I just took some more photos of the setup after test fitting it in my selected location. Fits perfectly!

Also tested the light out, pretty bright and nice blue tint. Of course too soon to say how well it'll support coral growth so stay tuned.

Pics:

DSC_5870.jpg

DSC_5873.jpg

DSC_5872.jpg

DSC_5874.jpg

DSC_5875.jpg

DSC_5877.jpg

And yes, I do plan to move my Taylor guitar when I get the tank started. No saltwater on that baby!

Archived