SaltCritters.com

3/10th gallon bonsai pico with SPS

BigRok

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So time to get to work.

My inspiration for this came to me in a dream. Actually it wasn't a dream, I was awake at my girlfriends parent's place for Thanksgiving. I was taking a poo, or maybe I was just urinating, but her mom had these cool little cubic glass candle holders or whatever they were, filled with potpourri. I thought to myself, why didn't she do something cool, like put a reef in there? She could use an aqualifter as a pump or something.

Anyways, so some time later this contest popped up and I figured I would find a little glass cube and make my dreams come to reality! Or I guess as it were, my reality come to reality.

Apparently I'm going to make this as difficult on myself as possible.

I have a tank, so to speak, and I have filtration and flow all in one.

I don't have a light yet, so I thought I'd start with that, because apparently it's important.

So the first thing I did was shuffled through my big box of old aquarium junk I figure I will put to use some day, but never in fact do.

I cam across this old 9 watt 6700k light I used over a fuge once. I found a bunch of old ¼ watt blue LED's from some old car starters and wired them up to a little 5 volt power supply from an old MP3 player. I gangstered them all together and taped them to the end of the fixture.

2d7bkwl.jpg

Powered up, and it works! Actually looks kind of neat.

jiyz9x.jpg

Now to turn on the 9 watt bulb... Hmmmmmmm, might be a little too yellow for my tastes.

2emlx89.jpg

So back to the box of junk to look for other lighting solutions.

Ahhhh, now HERE is a good balance of colour that I really dig!

20f6z54.jpg

But then again... maybe it's a little excessive.

And it doesn't come across as very pico-esque.

34t8phd.jpg

So, it looks like once again my box of junk turned out to be just that. So back to the closet it went and time to look for other solutions.

I think, given the size of the tank, I may just be able to get away with one of these things, if I can find one.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

ddbd62a1fd9e2e3a1f5e5c6c94fa2c5e.jpg

I've used those reef-sun bulbs and a few other varieties (coralife makes one if i'm not mistaken). They're okay, but not nearly as good per watt as a t5 or other setup. Why not try a single Gu10? If you're worried that's not enough they make a 9w one (granted it's all white).

Good luck with SPS,

I had considered the GU10. They have a pretty cool Chinese one on ebay with 2 1w blue and a single 1w white. But that was going to come from China, and probably take 2-3 weeks. I'd also need a socket, or at least medium base adapter. So I said screw it and got whatever I could locally.

Surprisingly, I expected to find the Coralife version of bulb, but ended up finding the one I actually looked up last night.

I'm not sure I'm going to run into any sort of intensity deficiencies with a 2½" deep tank. If I do I can always mount the bulb a little closer!

So here's how the new bulb looks:

1zdm4d1.jpg

And the entire setup, as it sits so far:

154df7a.jpg

And for comparison, this is how each of the potential lighting compares to each other.

All pictures are set with the white balance at 7500k.

2hictv6.jpg

• Like 1

Cool ideas, but kinda looks like my wife's food processer/blender. BTW, that tang and zoas look like they are photoshopped in that tank.

Exposure levels were different due to the huge difference in intensity between lighting. For example, to expose for the fixture with the PC lighting, it blew the tank right out as per the picture in post 2.

I am guessing here, but the lighting I am going with is actually the least intense of them all.

I might now, out of curiosity, compare the 3 reasonable lighting options to each other. Just for the record, the 24" fixture leaning on the kleenex boxes is the unreasonable option.

Cool ideas, but kinda looks like my wife's food processer/blender. BTW, that tang and zoas look like they are photoshopped in that tank.

Nope they're real. It's a dwarf yellow yang.

That is correct, Zebramosa Drawfii Jaunis. "Dwarf Yellow Tang"

They max out at 1½" long, so they're perfect for small tanks. Quick, everyone go out and buy one!

So I redid the lighting comparison with identical white balance settings and exposure.

34xnqzq.jpg

So now that this little experiment is over, I can get around to actually stocking this thing.

Who has livestock ideas for me? I was thinking a pair of clowns, and maybe a scooter blenny.

Islandoftiki
So now that this little experiment is over, I can get around to actually stocking this thing.

Who has livestock ideas for me? I was thinking a pair of clowns, and maybe a scooter blenny.

How about a snowflake eel? Those are really cool. Or a bamboo shark. Stingray? A puffer fish would be cool, but if it puffed up, it would probably overflow the tank.

My official solution to topoffs is to do a string of initial tests, followed by completely ignoring the problem in its entirety.

I started by placing the tank on a tray of fresh water in an attempt to humidify the area as much as possible. I filled the tank with fresh saltwater at 1.0245. I retested the water 12 hours later at 1.0255.

With this data, I'm now going to either do 2 water changes a day, or maybe get lazy and just do 1.

Either way, top off seems like I'd be adding extra complication to the system.

Archived