Coral Vue Hydros

Cleaner Shrimp keeps dying

disaster999

disaster999

anyone know besides copper, what else will kill a cleaner shrimp within hours?

ive been trying to add a cleaner shrimp in my tank for a while now and they just keep dying. its pretty frustrating.

weather is getting warmer and i guess whatever parasite in my tank that was dormant in the winter is waking up and is attacking my fish. its impossible to catch the fish in my tank and i dont feel like taking down my entire tank to treat the fish. cleaner shrimp is my best bet and i cant even keep on a live for more than a few hours.

parms are all normal. no ammonia, nitrate. calcium 400, dkh, 7, mg 1400. minimal phosphates,

disaster999

oh right, i forgot to check the salinity of the water....

should drip acclimate for a few hours next time

oh right, i forgot to check the salinity of the water....

should drip acclimate for a few hours next time

i think one hour is enough.

disaster999

but i still think theres something in my tank thats killing them.

i had a cleaner shrimp in my tank before and it was fine. had it for around half a year. then one day just all of sudden it went missing. it was missing long enough that i know it was dead. so i tried buying more and they just keep dying.

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

i decided to try again today and bought 2 to increase the chance of one surviving....they both died within within 12 hours

i first temp matched the bags, and slow drip acclimation for 2 hours to ensure they are filly used to my tank water. i even tried feeding them in the container and they ate some pellets.

i added both of them into my tank and dumped the water. watched the shrimp closely and they seemed ok...hiding in the rocks which i was expecting them to since its a new environment. thought ill go check on them before i went to bed and saw one lying on the sand and the other sticking from a hole in the rock which doesnt seem natural. couldnt really confirm it but i had my flash light on the shrimp for a good 10 mins and it didnt move so im sure its dead.

so anyone have ANY idea what else will kill shrimp this fast? nothing else in my tank seems to be affected by it. snails, pods worms, coral crabs urchin are all doing fine in my tank.

im giving up for now. my fish is dying left and right right now from ich. i couldnt get a shrimp to stay alive long enough to help pick the ich off the fish. my fish instantly went to the shrimps for help after noticing their presence but i guess they are still pretty stressed out from the move and dont wont to clean yet.

at least my corals are getting better and better by the minute...still sucks my fish are dying

The key to acclimating inverts I have found is temperature.

Temperature seems to be a big killer, especially when drip acclimating them, since the water in the bag tends to cool off considerably by the time you dump them in.

So..

What I do, is I pour up some freshwater in a bucket or other container and put a heater in it and heat it up to the same temperature as in the tank.(though you can use tank water if you want to play it safe)

Then I just float the acclimation container in said bucket/container while drip acclimating for about 1-2 hours for crustaceans.

3-4 hours when I'm doing snails.

I tend to let let it drip at a rate of 1-2 drops per second.

And since I started with that I have not lost a single animal from acclimation.

Have you considered a cleaning fish of some sort? I don't like suggesting cleaner wrasses, but in your 100g tank with your fish dying left and right it might be a permissible solution. You could also buy a handful of neon gobies to try and help, but I haven't heard much about them tackling ich.

i decided to try again today and bought 2 to increase the chance of one surviving....they both died within within 12 hours

i first temp matched the bags, and slow drip acclimation for 2 hours to ensure they are filly used to my tank water. i even tried feeding them in the container and they ate some pellets.

i added both of them into my tank and dumped the water. watched the shrimp closely and they seemed ok...hiding in the rocks which i was expecting them to since its a new environment. thought ill go check on them before i went to bed and saw one lying on the sand and the other sticking from a hole in the rock which doesnt seem natural. couldnt really confirm it but i had my flash light on the shrimp for a good 10 mins and it didnt move so im sure its dead.

so anyone have ANY idea what else will kill shrimp this fast? nothing else in my tank seems to be affected by it. snails, pods worms, coral crabs urchin are all doing fine in my tank.

im giving up for now. my fish is dying left and right right now from ich. i couldnt get a shrimp to stay alive long enough to help pick the ich off the fish. my fish instantly went to the shrimps for help after noticing their presence but i guess they are still pretty stressed out from the move and dont wont to clean yet.

at least my corals are getting better and better by the minute...still sucks my fish are dying

disaster, I'd treat the ich before adding anything to the tank. Good luck!

GBose

1fishmonger

QT the fish for ich... You sure it's not velvet? Velvet kills much faster while ich is usually more of a nuisance until it gets out of hand.

Archived