Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coral Disposal

TheKleinReef

The only time I will throw coral in the trash is if it is OBVIOUSLY not going to make it and it's more than 50% gone. I have only had to do this once and it was the other day. I had this tiny acan frag that I was suspect of from the start. Had some sort of weird macro as well, so I pulled the trigger. I would never do it with healthy coral though, that would be stupid.

All the "toughen up" and such comments are funny.

BlackSumbel

Even better than the rubble solution? Join your local reef club and see if there is a frag program. Newbie reefers joining a club are usually ECSTATIC to receive any freebie corals. Just call the person running it and say "Please, come get it. Take as much as you want."

The frag program can then mount the corals and distribute to the LFS as well, boning up the local club's treasury.

Frag programs generally generously reward "donors" - even if they're donating Xenia. :P

Xenia scrubber its effictive and interesting to look at.

And comparing corals to dogs is ridiculous. If all animals are equal then that mosquitoes, spiders, roaches, and wasps that i have no problem killing because they annoy me should mean as much to me as much to me as my daughters. But i dont squish them when they annoy me. Man up! throw it away, give it away or make a scrubber. I cant help but feel i just got trolled.

TheKleinReef

i knew the dog comment would blow up with "YOU CAN'T COMPARE THOSE TWO" comments

relax. pushing your views on animals onto me will not magically change my mind.

i won't throw coral in the garbage or outside or in the freezer. that's it. boom done.

i'm not a whimp because i refuse to kill a coral, however simple of an organism it is.

Xenia? KILL IT 10/10. Some people want xenia as noobs only to wake up one day wishing they'd never came across it in the 1st place. :lol:

I minimized my "satanic cruelty" and killed what little xenia I once had all at once so I don't have to become a "murderer" on bimonthly basis.

Seriously though - this whole conversation serves no purpose but to wake up the troll deep within all of us. :ninja:

Even better than the rubble solution? Join your local reef club and see if there is a frag program. Newbie reefers joining a club are usually ECSTATIC to receive any freebie corals. Just call the person running it and say "Please, come get it. Take as much as you want."

The frag program can then mount the corals and distribute to the LFS as well, boning up the local club's treasury.

Frag programs generally generously reward "donors" - even if they're donating Xenia. :P

+1 . Not only noobs...you would be surprised how many reefes are happy to shell out 5 10 15 (25-35 for more rare xenia varieties) $ for healthy xenia frags. They were my top seller on ebay (along with GSP) I made hundreds $$$ in a very short aount of time on my xenia mat growing on the back wall of my tank B)

Shipping isn't hard, although xenia is a pretty bad shipper. Still if its garbage vs shipping to a reefer you can always try it. Best way is to float it in the bag on styrofoam..otherwise polyps crush, deflate, and sometimes never open again:( But usally people don't want to pay for shipping unless you have more species to sell....

a CL Add saying FREE is usually the easiest. I would be SHOCKED if you put an ad up (with a pic) and didn't have 5 takers in less then 2 days:) Its also a great way to meet fellow local reefers- and sometimes get free trades too. You may think xenia is a pest-- someones else thinks their zoa mat is a weed- you each get trades..win win:)

Archived