SaltCritters.com

Coral Disposal

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

I HATE throwing coral in the garbage when it starts to grow like a weed. When i was chopping up my xenia today i put as much as i could on live rock rubble to bring back to the LFS, but i ran out and ended up throwing out a few frags. It felt awful, murdering an animal like that. :/

I'd just like to know some other opinions on throwing away corals. To avoid this problem. i might just get some more rubble rock. but what do you guys do with the weed corals you frag?

chucktdbm321

Maybe its just me, but i enjoy throwing out kenya tree. I thought of it as weeding out my garden, not killing a helpless animal. So my advice is toughen up :P

I would just make a Craigslist ad for free, unattached frags. Or offer to give the unattached frags to your LFS. You get rid of the coral without killing it, and if your LFS take it you're building up favor for better deals in the future. Win win.

TheKleinReef

hey an animal is an animal. if i had 30 puppies running around i'm not going to throw them down the disposal. if you think an animal is worth shredding into pieces, then you are satanic.

i frag as much as i can fit onto plugs, anymore and that animal cruelty, even if it is a weed coral.

TheKleinReef
i have a solution for all of u give it to me :D

if you're local i can. and if i knew how to ship coral i would. it can't be that hard?

I would just make a Craigslist ad for free, unattached frags. Or offer to give the unattached frags to your LFS. You get rid of the coral without killing it, and if your LFS take it you're building up favor for better deals in the future. Win win.

i like you're reply the best. haha

chucktdbm321

hmmm you should start adopting from the humane society because you wouldn't want to know what they do with their extra 30 puppies when people don't adopt them... its very sad and i was shocked! But seriously almost any lfs will take free clippings of coral as well as friends

I donate to my old teacher, she runs the marine bio program and has a butt load of tanks in the school. I'm actually giving her some zoas and a whelk tomorow.

devilsadvocate

so cutting it with a knife just cause you think its too big is ok, but throwing the excess away is bad? LOL

TheKleinReef
so cutting it with a knife just cause you think its too big is ok, but throwing the excess away is bad? LOL

they cut themselves in half, so helping out isn't that big of a deal. lolll

I donate to my old teacher, she runs the marine bio program and has a butt load of tanks in the school. I'm actually giving her some zoas and a whelk tomorow.

Come to think of it, maybe this is a tad "mean" to some of you, but if I have somthung that I know is dieing bc it looks so terrible or is melting, I just flush it to save my water quality.

Think of it as shooting your friend in the head bc that zombie may have drooled in his open wound.

I'm pretty sure the corals are not capable of feeling pain the way you or I do. I killed a spider yesterday and I'm ok with that. If I have extra xenia I throw it away and I'm ok with that. It doesn't make me "satanic". You do know that animals tend to kill each other, and it's not nice and gentle.

TheKleinReef
Come to think of it, maybe this is a tad "mean" to some of you, but if I have somthung that I know is dieing bc it looks so terrible or is melting, I just flush it to save my water quality.

Think of it as shooting your friend in the head bc that zombie may have drooled in his open wound.

i am guilty of this. lolll i had a dying acro i didn't know what to do with. no LFS would want it so i put the thing out of its misery.

devilsadvocate
I'm pretty sure the corals are not capable of feeling pain the way you or I do. I killed a spider yesterday and I'm ok with that. If I have extra xenia I throw it away and I'm ok with that.

that is retarded.

randythefishdude
I'm pretty sure the corals are not capable of feeling pain the way you or I do. I killed a spider yesterday and I'm ok with that. If I have extra xenia I throw it away and I'm ok with that. It doesn't make me "satanic". You do know that animals tend to kill each other, and it's not nice and gentle.

is it just me or does this not make any sence at all :mellow::huh:

igotreefermadness

Put them in the freezer, I do this with all my marine animals that I have no other choice for, it slows down their metabolic rate, become numb, and they die from a sort of hypothermia. It's better than letting them suffocate to death in a garbage bag.

I'm saying these are very simple creatures so saying an animal is an animal is silly. These creatures are purely reactionary and do not feel pain.

I was also saying that we kill creatures all the time and it also happen in nature. Doing so does not make one a bad person.

randythefishdude
Put them in the freezer, I do this with all my marine animals that I have no other choice for, it slows down their metabolic rate, become numb, and they die from a sort of hypothermia. It's better than letting them suffocate to death in a garbage bag.

i wouldent want to be put in the freezer but i guess thats better than drying out in the garbage

I euthanize fish the same way. Since they are cold blooded it affects them much differently than it would a warm blooded creature.

Archived