SaltCritters.com

My River and Reef UK style.

atoll

albertthiel
New pink Hystrix frag bought today from a fellow reefer.

PinkHystrix002.jpg

Very nice Les ... great frag ... looking good too ...

Albert

Made a new trolley for my AWC30 this is the mark 2 version. The first I made from scrap contiboard which was a bit small. I bought this chopping board from a charity shop for just £2 and is ideal.4 swivel 3.1/2" trolley wheels bought from Aldi for £9.99 and a plastic plant tray for just £2.99p which I screwed to the board. The tray not only helps retain the barrel but will also catch any drips that might run down it. All in all the trolley cost me £14.50p

AWC30trolly.jpg

These auto water changes are made by a company here in the UK called Reefloat. They make waters changes so much easier and far less of a chore. The water level in the aquarium does not fall while the water is being changed and I don't have to carry buckets of salt water from the tank as the old water goes into the barrel for disposal.

• Like 1
albertthiel
New pink Hystrix frag bought today from a fellow reefer.

PinkHystrix002.jpg

Very nice .. did you ever post those pics to my thread Les ?

Albert

KeyboardWarrior
Well less you sure did a lot of modifications to get this set up but I guess it all worked out well looking at the tank. Nice!

BTW is that a Biocube or is it something made in the UK by a local manufacturer ... looks like the Coralife/Oceanic BC 14 or 29 but can't be sure since you are in the UK and a lot of equipment and a lot of pre-configured tanks get made there as well.

In fact I was in touch the other day with a David Dunnett who sent me some pics of the filters and reactors he makes. Quite nice but on the pricy side and that would be before shipping from the UK to the US :(

Anyway I am not going with a BC I think ... I think that I will use a 20 gallon for the tank and another 20 gallon for the sump (with a refugium) ... details when I have it all figured out

Albert

I think les missed this post Albert so I'll jump in, the river reef is a 94 litre tank which they recently stopes making, well the still makenit they have just re branded it as a Kent bio reef I dont know if you get them in the states or not of the top of my head but my guess is no as I've no seen a thread for one on the forum hth

Josh

albertthiel
I think les missed this post Albert so I'll jump in, the river reef is a 94 litre tank which they recently stopes making, well the still makenit they have just re branded it as a Kent bio reef I dont know if you get them in the states or not of the top of my head but my guess is no as I've no seen a thread for one on the forum hth

Josh

Thanks for the clarification and that is what I thought as well. Mind you the Kent products are sold here in the US but that one must be a special model made for the UK

Albert

OOps yes I missed the above posts sorry :o

The River and Reef 94L is I believe the same tank as the Kent however I think the only difference is that the Kent comes with different pumps and a skimmer. The River and Reef leaves you to decide if you want a skimmer or not and at least allows you to choose. The River and Reef pumps are often changed by owners as they are not the best. maxi-jets being mostly favoured as replacements.

Hope the above helps.

Les.

Very nice .. did you ever post those pics to my thread Les ?

Albert

I think I did Albert yes. These corals are soooooo brittle and I knocked against it yesterday and a large (well large seeing its a frag) snapped off :angry:

albertthiel
OOps yes I missed the above posts sorry :o

The River and Reef 94L is I believe the same tank as the Kent however I think the only difference is that the Kent comes with different pumps and a skimmer. The River and Reef leaves you to decide if you want a skimmer or not and at least allows you to choose. The River and Reef pumps are often changed by owners as they are not the best. maxi-jets being mostly favoured as replacements.

Hope the above helps.

Les.

I think I did Albert yes but in case you did not I just reposted it :=) . These corals are soooooo brittle and I knocked against it yesterday and a large (well large seeing its a frag) snapped off :angry:

Not sure but you may have indeed but if not I just reposted it :-) ... knock it over ??? well I guess the + side is that you now have one or more frags to sell :-)

Thanks for the details on the difference between the two types of tanks les

Albert

albertthiel
Thanks but don't put too much emphasis on DIY skills. A third is planning and knowing what you are aiming to achieve. A third is having the right tools then you can add a third DIY skills.

+1

Looked at video on the Tubastrea again ... is that in your tank ?

Wow what a water flow ...

And oh for those who have not seen the Oxydator pictures :

A Model

oxya.png

D Model

oxyd.png

Mini Model

oxymini.png

Catalyst

oxycat.png

For anyone who has questions about this H2O2 usage device post a message and either Les or I will give you some more details (it converts the H2O2 to water and oxygen and therefore raises the ORP of your water and its purity).

It is available in the US BTW

Albert

• 1 month later...
Excellent tank. Can we get a full tank shot for July

Sorry missed this post but better late than never I guess.

This pic was taken last week.

Acrogrowthandfulltankshots003.jpg

• Like 1

Nice .... I like it ! Keep those pics coming Les.

• 4 months later...

Acrogrowthandfulltankshots003.jpg

Gorgeous. Is this tank still up and running? if so more pictures please! :D

EDIT: just saw you YouTube videos. WOW! I really enjoyed this one:

Nope I broke it down when I set up my 2' cube and transferred all the rock work, corals and fish etc over. The tank and some of the equipment I sold on but transferred some of the equipment over to my 2' cube. The tank was very successful but I just wanted more space and a sump which I now have. The LED unit on this tank was one of the items I transferred over and it is doing just a good a job on the cube.

Les.

Gorgeous. Is this tank still up and running? if so more pictures please! :D

EDIT: just saw you YouTube videos. WOW! I really enjoyed this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/krAPmYmI9dE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nope I broke it down when I set up my 2' cube and transferred all the rock work, corals and fish etc over. The tank and some of the equipment I sold on but transferred some of the equipment over to my 2' cube. The tank was very successful but I just wanted more space and a sump which I now have. The LED unit on this tank was one of the items I transferred over and it is doing just a good a job on the cube.

Les.

TY Les. I thought as much when I saw your YouTube channel. Do have a thread for the 2' cube set up? I guess not since it is not on your sig.

BTW I really appreciate your video on fragging the Duncans. Thanks for the how-to tips.

YVW, I don't have a thread on here of my 2' cube but I do have one on salty Box plus I have 2 on my YouTube channel but just of the tank and inhabitants not of the equipment used as yet but I will be doing one at some point. When I did the fragging of the Duncans it was the hardest fragging of any coral I have had to do due to the compactness of the corals skeleton. BTW the little cutter never got to close to my fingers its just the way it appears in the vid due to my partner zooming in to get a good close up.

TY Les. I thought as much when I saw your YouTube channel. Do have a thread for the 2' cube set up? I guess not since it is not on your sig.

BTW I really appreciate your video on fragging the Duncans. Thanks for the how-to tips.

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful fish, their coloring is gorgeous. Your corals are so happy too. Lovely rockscape and sets off your corals perfectly. I love it. Thanks for sharing your video. Your choice of music was wonderful too. :) I just sat back and relaxed!

• 1 month later...

awesome tank, I have the same and I've also had to make quite a few modifications to make it work better I really like the refugium, I always wanted to build one like that.

take a look to my tank

Archived