ReefCleaners.org

Retired 6 Gallon Rimless

TheKleinReef

• 1 month later...
TheKleinReef

Well, I gutted it and started over again due to the frustration of the flow and excess algae growth. I ripped out all of the algae, sand and cleaned the glass. I took sand and water from my 29 and restarted. I tried to get all of the coulpera algae off but as you can see I missed some and it's growing.

Last weekend I moved 1 candy cane frag, 1 Xenia colony, and 1 Xenia frag over to the the pico (from the 29). And i'm going to see how that goes.

Here's a current FTS:

3975e8f5.jpg

I'd like to make this a pure Xenia tank: pulsing and red sea Xenia. But my infatuation with multiple types of coral will probably force me to add some mushrooms and zoanthids :)

I do need some advice on some cool inverts. I'd like an active type of (shellless) crab. Anybody have any tips? I've heard porcelain and anemone crabs but are there any cool rare crabs? I'd like to have something different.

Also is a mini skimmer worth it on a pico tank. I'd Ike to make a tiny one to help with the nutrient levels? Any opinions? Thanks guys.

-roger

TheKleinReef

I'm finally getting the hang of his pico thing, i have some dead spots that i need to blast with a turkey baster a few times a week but other than that, i pretty much got it down.

After much deliberation, i'm going to keep this tank a mushroom, softy tank. due to the fact that there is no way to keep the nutrients at 0 (like my 29gal is). besides, some soft corals are water filters so getting some of those may help keep the water clean, in addition to the chemical filtration i have on the tank.

also, i don't know what to do with the random macro algae i have growing. i think i might just leave it, but it looks awful. opinions?

So its been about 5 weeks and i added some new coral!

I added 1 little blue mushroom ( i hope it'll split and i'll get a nice colony growing)

and i moved both pieces of the candy cane over because my CUC is always knocking them around.

so that makes the livestock list:

2 xenia colonies (not permanent)

2 small candy cane frags

1 small blue mushroom

1pulsing xenia colony

full tank shot as of: april 29, 2012

ba41d95b.jpg

its really dark blue, but i like the 15k look.

here it is at 10k:

f68284e7.jpg

TheKleinReef

i took my 2 rather large xenia colonies to the local fish store, they thanked me and offered me a $20-30 frag so i decided on a nice colony of green star polyps to help take over my pico, and process some of the excess nutrients.

so far everything is going really well.

IMG_1082.jpg

newest addition: orange ricordea yuma (5 minutes after adding)

IMG_1084.jpg

my favorite pico coral, blue mushroom.

IMG_1085.jpg

**all pics are under the 10k setting of my par38 because the blue bleaches out 100% of the color.

TheKleinReef

UPGRADE! Iam moving everything in the spec over to the completely upgraded fluval edge. Here it is day one:

9e76b59d.jpg

Here's my filtration: poly filter and chemi pure, so far. I have to find a way to put purigen in there.

67e5882c.jpg

Lighting: my old 10 gallon light aquatic life 2 bulb

cf56b402.jpg

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks for reading.

RustyRocket

woah another edgey reefer xD!! since your running without the hood and the original look anyway, i suggest taking off the top glass, this way access is much bigger, and you lose that unsightly neck~

I had a problem with the tank overflowing every time i stick my hand in the tank, got sick of it, enough for me to take the top off xD!!

just my oppinion tho.

TheKleinReef
woah another edgey reefer xD!! since your running without the hood and the original look anyway, i suggest taking off the top glass, this way access is much bigger, and you lose that unsightly neck~

I had a problem with the tank overflowing every time i stick my hand in the tank, got sick of it, enough for me to take the top off xD!!

just my oppinion tho.

Never thought about that. I might try that! Thanks for the suggestion.

TheKleinReef
looks great! :D

leave the tank barebottom, it makes life soooo much easier and looks super clean. :)

i agree about the easier part. i'll be moving this tank 3x a year so it'll be nice to avoid the sandstorm and mini cycle after each move, but i'm going to have to figure out a nice aquascape to make it loot a little bit nicer.

• 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

I took rustyrocket's advice and removed the top glass of the edge. i love the look of it now. It was rather easy: all you need to do is slice through the silicone on in between the side panels and the top glass. It takes a little bit of fines in some spots (back wall) but after 15 minutes the job was done.

Since the top glass is gone, i went ahead and added a protein skimmer (aqua c remora) I had it on my old 10gallon nano system and it did the job rather well.

BUT Its making a horrible buzzing sound and the air bubble chamber is loud too. I took the pump off and out it in a pale of water and ran it. It made 0 noise. but once it was hooked up to the tank it couldn't be any louder. you guys have any tips on what i have to do to quiet it down? This tank will be in my dorm room and i need to be able to sleep at night.

Here's a shot of the glass removed:

d5e3517e.jpg

Here's a FTS: a little cloudy from adding some sand:

082b7b99.jpg

Here are two of my first ever top down shots:

08920e9b.jpg

090ce8d9.jpg

Livestock:

• 2 candy cane frags
  • 1 montipora digitata frag
  • 1 hammer coral
  • 1 birds nest frag
  • 1 ricordea
  • 1 blue mushroom
  • xenia
  • Green star polyps
  • skunk cleaner shrimp
  • snowflake clownfish
  • 2 plate corals (small hitchhikers)
  • 2 nerite snails
  • 2 nassarius snails

TheKleinReef

Does anyone have a good set of plans for a DIY mame skimmer? I want to replace the aqua c mainly because it's rated for 75 gallons. It's a little big, and really loud.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man Ive been debating getting rid of the top of my edge as well. Did you cut it while there was water in it? Are you nervous at all of possibly weakening the integrity of the tank? Also could you please link me to your light!

TheKleinReef

now i lowered the water about 3" while i was cutting.

i don't have a link to the lights themselves, but i'm willing to sell them dirt cheap. i have a classifed thread about them.

TheKleinReef

UPDATE! NEW CORALS!

Full Tank Shot June 14, 2012:

bab1d5a2.jpg

New Fire & Ice Zoanthids:

28691945.jpg

New Montipora Capricornis:

0577f866.jpg

New Acropora Millepora:

76225af8.jpg

New Skimmer (Modified Bio-Cube Skimmer)

8bf8f6d4.jpg

My Pal Alfred:

dc3c789e.jpg

My Pal Parker:

ad115866.jpg

After much testing, i have come to realize that dosing is a must with this small tank. I didn't think i would have to, but after i tested and found out my dKH dropped to 6 i knew i had to. so i dose b-ionic 2 part and everything is stable and my sps has white growth tips.

Dosing Regimen:

2.5 mL B-Ionic Alaklinity (Daily)

2.5 ML B-Ionic Calcium (Daily)

5 mL Kent's Essential Elements (Once Weekly)

1 drop Kent's Iodine Concentrate (Once Weekly)

clocks ticking... ;):D

DONE! READ!

TheKleinReef
The Spec is looking great. You should get a small mantis shrimp for it.

the spec was taken down and moved into the edge.

Happy birthday! omgomgomg

:D

thanks for noticing :) i actually got an AI Nano for my birthday present, but it didn't get shipped until yesterday. D:

Archived