SaltCritters.com

First coral

lifen

I caught mine early this am, it had super gnar tentacle extension.

I was lucky to snap a decent pic.

And by 0 taste I mean it's your first coral.

It's hard to know what you like if you're never kept anything IMO.

Ah that's right, since I can only watch them for a short while at the LFS, I can't really tell all the cool behaviour that they normally show.

Easiest way to solve this problem... buy more than one coral. Their impact on water quality is relatively small. I myself bring home more than one coral every single time I go to my LFS. I see absolutely no effect on the water quality.

And if money is the issue... save up : D

Get a chalice.

Watch it at night.

Awesome.

+1

They also grow fast and are easy to frag. And most go for big$$$

Or like others have said get a frogspawn. It is by far one of my favorite corals, I have touched it a few times and it tingles but nothing painful or like a sting. Just place it on a side of your tank away from other corals and you should be fine. Mine is on it's own off to the side so it has 0 opportunity to sting anything else. Plus it's fun to feed it myisis or shrimp! So cool to watch it eat!

Oh and if your worried about getting stung wear gloves. Most corals can sting, and zoas and palys have a toxin in them that can really cause emergency situations. Just wear gloves and get something pretty.

There are blue polyps and xenia, but I find it has the same problem as gsp. It spreads too fast. Check out sympodium. It's supposed to grow slower and is green and blue, but is related to xenia. Also, if xenia isn't growing fast it means your tank parameters are off (granted it does like a dirtier system than most other corals).

Duncans are nice, and it was the first frag i added to my newest tank.

There are blue polyps and xenia, but I find it has the same problem as gsp. It spreads too fast. Check out sympodium. It's supposed to grow slower and is green and blue, but is related to xenia. Also, if xenia isn't growing fast it means your tank parameters are off (granted it does like a dirtier system than most other corals).

Duncans are nice, and it was the first frag i added to my newest tank.

+1 on the blue clove polyps. I just managed to get a eight hitch hikers with frag of two orange tipped clove polyps. Had I know they would hold their color so well, I would have bought an entire frag of the BCPs. I also bought a tiny frag of sympodium. This coral will most likely show up much better when I get a new fixture. Right now, I'm not too impressed. My Duncan has pinkish tentacles and a green center, One of my faves. I had a galaxea for a few days. It truly does have long tentacles. After he stung one of my palys, I traded him in at the LFS. Funny thing is, the paly healed after a few weeks. Another one of my favorites is my favia. It has small tentacles and is an aqua green color. I believe that it is called a 'green lantern favia'.

+1

Or like others have said get a frogspawn. It is by far one of my favorite corals, I have touched it a few times and it tingles but nothing painful or like a sting. Just place it on a side of your tank away from other corals and you should be fine. Mine is on it's own off to the side so it has 0 opportunity to sting anything else. Plus it's fun to feed it myisis or shrimp! So cool to watch it eat!

Oh and if your worried about getting stung wear gloves. Most corals can sting, and zoas and palys have a toxin in them that can really cause emergency situations. Just wear gloves and get something pretty.

What kind of gloves would you recommend? Are there special aquarium gloves or something? I would think that a lot of the "normal" gloves wouldn't be too good to have in an aquarium.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions everyone! Really appreciated!

Candy cane corals are easy aswell, and you can not go wrong with zoa's.

Torch coral is a hardy and easy to maintain LPS just keep it in its own corner of the tank with a lower flow then the rest of your tank, the sting only hurts other small creature not us humans.

GL with what ever you decide on and feel free to take a look at my tank thread in my sig to see my beginner corals.

+1

Nice job... now you are going to throw him into a quandary about which type of glove to get. My vote is for the frogspawn, it gives you motion, color, it will eat, all the characteristics you are looking for.

There's no real need to wear gloves unless you have very dangerous ones, or are clumsy and have a lionfish.

The palys and zoas are toxic, when they're boiled and their toxin goes airborn. If you're not eating them or cooking them you'll be fine.

get a frogspawn.

This is exectly what you are looking for. They are very hardy the the green varieties are very bright neon under actinic lighting and they sway with the curent. One of my favorite corals.

Infact its in my signature lol

What kind of gloves would you recommend? Are there special aquarium gloves or something? I would think that a lot of the "normal" gloves wouldn't be too good to have in an aquarium.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions everyone! Really appreciated!

You can get the long aquarium gloves that cost huge $$$$ or go into publix, any of the gloves that are non-toxic and powderless will be fine.

Nice job... now you are going to throw him into a quandary about which type of glove to get. My vote is for the frogspawn, it gives you motion, color, it will eat, all the characteristics you are looking for.

Yeah just fixed it.

There's no real need to wear gloves unless you have very dangerous ones, or are clumsy and have a lionfish.

The palys and zoas are toxic, when they're boiled and their toxin goes airborn. If you're not eating them or cooking them you'll be fine.

Yes there is, don't you know there is all kinds of nasty bacteria in your tank and other things that can cause infection and whatnot? Besides if you use lotions or other things and it gets into your skin how can you be sure you are cleaning your hands well enough? Gloves are not only for the safety of you but the safety of the tank.

Read more next time before you give a half answer like that. ;)

... or you could blow up the glove and tie a weight to it and place that in your tank. You could call it a glove anenome and they come in a variety of colors, wont sting anything, and will move in the current...

Sorry, I couldnt resist.... Look, we all know and have been in your shoes with picking out your first coral. The frogspawn or hammer meet your inital requirements and are easy good first specimens. Actually what you are doing by researching things first is a very good thing, that way you are less likely to make a impulse OMG I gotta have it buy like alot of people do only to be dissapointed later. We have given you alot of options all of which would be good choices. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy!

Yes there is, don't you know there is all kinds of nasty bacteria in your tank and other things that can cause infection and whatnot? Besides if you use lotions or other things and it gets into your skin how can you be sure you are cleaning your hands well enough? Gloves are not only for the safety of you but the safety of the tank.

Read more next time before you give a half answer like that. ;)

no need to try and condescend. I stand by my previous statement. If you keep good personal hygiene, use common sense, and use care with known stingers (like nems) you'll be just fine. There is no need to fear monger

;)

no need to try and condescend. I stand by my previous statement. If you keep good personal hygiene, use common sense, and use care with known stingers (like nems) you'll be just fine. There is no need to fear monger

;)

Not being a fear monger stating the facts. And this is a newb who is already asking re getting stung. I was just giving them a way to not have to worry about it.

andrewguilfoy

Just to back up candy on this one, I think wearing gloves is a good habit to practice no matter how clean you think your showers make you. Things like purell, foam hand sanitizers, soaps, all bad things for our tanks. But again thats how WE keep clean, not our tanks. Pathogens, coughing, colds, door handles, nail biters open sores. Our hands are a dirty place from time to time. My point is you only think you know where your hands have been. People stink!

Archived