inTank Media Baskets

Chris's JBJ28 CF

Chrisl1976

Just getting back into reef keeping after like 12 years. Figured I'd throw in my tank info here and some pics to help others as much as most of the tank posts here have helped me.

Tank was set up February 26th with just sand and water. Got 26 lbs of Manado live rock from Premium Aquatics on March 2nd and tunze 9002 skimmer and mini-skimmer cup from Intank that same day. The Manado LR from PA is wonderful. Its very open and has tons of swim-thrus in the rocks and lots of surface area for bacteria. Really glad I made the choice to go with that. Live rock went in and levels went up as expected with die off.

What was not so much expected as by like the 4th/5th, AM started dropping, PH went from 7.8 to 8.0 to 8.2. NAT and NIT levels all dropped to zero as well. Since then the levels has been consistent at zero and 8.2 PH. 8 day cycle?? Algae is growing, little brown showing up. Fish not going in for a few more weeks at least. Too expensive not to be 99% sure the cycle wont restart and mother nature gives me a cruel April Fool's joke.

I'm still working on the livestock list.

CUC crew from Reefcleaner.org. Ordering that today.

--Probably a pair of clowns.

--Love the personality of the yellow headed jar fish.

--Would love a small Flame hawk fish, but I want at some class of shrimp in there. Not sure how well that will work out. Would have for the shrimp to end up dinner.

--couple fire fish

--or maybe a sixline wrasse

Any recommendations for movement in the tank?

Slowly a assortment of soft corals and such.

March 2nd, 2012

DSCF4867.jpg

DSCF4878.jpg

DSCF4877.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

DSCF4881.jpg

March11, 2012

On March 11th went to the MACI event and took the Frag class and put together a nice chunk of Devil's eye Zoo's and cabbage coral. Also got a few nice polyps that did not make the trip home intact, so they got glued to another rock. Everything but the Cabbage is doing good. It pulled back from point it was glued to, so I cut the rest off and rubber banded it to a smaller rock. We'll see if that helps any.

DSCF4914.jpg

Won a frag piece of Favia (I think?) from the Reef-geek raffle. so far, that looks to be doing very well.

DSCF4915.jpg

March 17, 2012

Some more pics of the progress.

DSCF4936.jpg

DSCF4937.jpg

DSCF4938.jpg

DSCF4919.jpg

DSCF4921.jpg

Need to break out the lawn mower. This was the raffle prize and never was told what specifically it was. Hinted at Favia from another post elsewhere, but doesn't seem to match any pictures I can find of it. Anyone have any idea?

DSCF4924.jpg

• 1 month later...

looking good now dude!!!

How did you cure the green algae problem.......

I have the same tank with the LED professional lights, what kind of lights do you have?

• 2 weeks later...
Chrisl1976
looking good now dude!!!

How did you cure the green algae problem.......

I have the same tank with the LED professional lights, what kind of lights do you have?

I have the CF version, but looking into putting in a retro-fit LED kit in there. 2 emerald crabs and a awesome CUC from reefcleaner.org solved the algae problem in like 8-10 days it was gone.

Just picked up this nice little ricordia at a new reef shop here in town.

DSCF5174.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what that top pic is. Appears Favia like in structure but it's like the feeder tentacles are always out? Everything is looking awesome so far, and those CF lights can get you quite far actually. Where did you find the black stomatella? (bottom pic, and I think I spelled that right)

Chrisl1976
The coral in the top pic looks like a Leptastrea. Your tank is looking good!

Thanks!!! Its coming along slowly.

Yes, its a green Leptastrea.

I have no idea what that top pic is. Appears Favia like in structure but it's like the feeder tentacles are always out? Everything is looking awesome so far, and those CF lights can get you quite far actually. Where did you find the black stomatella? (bottom pic, and I think I spelled that right)

The CF lights are working out very nice. They were actually bleaching the leptastrea when I had it closer to the top. I think its happy at that level so it might be time fix it to the rockwork close to it.

The black Stomatella was a hitchhiker.

• 2 weeks later...
Chrisl1976

Picked up a few new items at an open house for a new reef store.

DSCF5259.jpg

Tri-color Acro

DSCF5244.jpg

Bright Orange mushrooms

DSCF5248.jpg

Orange Montipora

DSCF5246.jpg

Been eyeing this guys since the store opened. $25 for all the RBTA's

DSCF5240.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Did some rescaping.....more pics of that later. Moved my Orange Montipora and now one of my emerald crabs has decided that is where he sleeps every night.

DSCF5318.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Isteallunch$$$

Looks great! Can't wait to get mine up and going. Did you decide on whether you were gonna keep the CF's or switch to LED's yet?

Looks great! Can't wait to get mine up and going. Did you decide on whether you were gonna keep the CF's or switch to LED's yet?

Actually getting really good growth from my SPS I have with the stock CF lighting, but still think I may upgrade to LED's. Waiting on a used replacement hood right now. I dont really want to cut up the stock hood.

Archived