Coral Vue Hydros

AquaMaxx HOB skimmer on Biocube 29 HQI?

little_ocean_treasures

little_ocean_treasures

I'm looking into getting the AquaMaxx HOB skimmer for my Biocube 29 HQI but am not sure it will fit. I tried the Hydor Nano internal skimmer and it didn't fit so I don't want to spend (I mean waste) more money on another that doesn't work for it.

So I want to know if anyone has used this skimmer on their Biocube. :) Thanks guys!!

little_ocean_treasures

Anybody? I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. I am having a hard time finding anywhere many others who have used this on their Biocube HQI. It otherwise sounds like a great skimmer.

The hydor slim skim will fit. You need to trim the black plastic around the chamber for it to work. I have this skimmer on my biocube 29 (non hqi). Search for naturalreef he has a thread about getting it to fit.

Once I trimmed the plastic I also had to make a little eggcrate box for the skimmer to sit on so it would keep a constant level. It also restricted the flow causing the water to overflow the back wall. I remedied this by cutting a few of the teeth out on chamber one.

Funny thing is I found this thread looking for someone running an aquamaxx hob on their biocube. I love the slim skim but I am considering starting carbon dosing and will most likely need a more powerful skimmer.

I just added an aquamax to a biocube 14. More just to try it then anything and it works great. the one issue I had was that when I added the skimmer I had to upgrade my return pump (in chamber 3) to a mazijet 1200 to keep up with the output of the skimmer. I have the skimmer pulling from chamber one and depositing into the top of my media rack in chamber two. works great now. I can definetly recomend this set up.

Yes it will fit. There are plenty of people that run the Aquamaxx HOB 1 on biocubes. It is a great skimmer that pulls a lot of junk. The only problem is it is an eyesore. Unlike the mini internal skimmers it is a big box hanging off the tank.

• 3 weeks later...
little_ocean_treasures

Okay, thanks guys...sorry for the late reply too. Been a while since I've been on here. I now see it will fit and am placing my order today tho I will have to wait for it to be back in stock. :huh:

little_ocean_treasures

I actually currently have but am not using the Hydor Slim Skim (internal skimmer) and hate it. It rarely worked because my water level always ALWAYS fluctuated being it only fit in the center chamber after the filter floss which would clog and drop the water level a tad...or evaporation being I don't have an ATO. And my HQI light bracket was always in the way of cleaning out my collection cup which was a major pain. Honestly, not a good skimmer option at all for the BC HQI imo.

• 4 weeks later...
little_ocean_treasures

Finally got mine in last week and it fits in chamber 1 (snugly) with the rim trimmed on the Biocube 29 HQI. Noisy at first but was skimming by the second day. Glad I made this purchase. Even the changing water level from shutting off the pumps doesn't affect the performance of this which is SWEET!!! :happy:

Archived