Photo

Fungia (short tentacle plate) coral disappearing?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA

Is this a goner? I've had it for only two weeks, and after about the third day it stopped inflation it's tentacles. Since then, there is less and less "flesh" visible within the skeleton. I have a 24" deep tank with 2 HO T5 fixtures @ 72 watts each. I run 2 10K and 2 Actinic bulbs in each fixture. The coral was in the middle front of the tank on the substrate with medium flow. My water parameters are as follows:

Temp: 79
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 10
PH: 8.2

Nothing else in the tanks is new or having any issues. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120313_195946.jpg

alaskan84

alaskan84

Making Alaska a little more tropical.....

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2010
  • Kodiak Island, Alaska
Whilst you can still see small amounts of flesh inbetween the skeleton, it looks to be long gone....did it get stung or just melt away?

Fluffeh

Fluffeh

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,903 posts
  • Joined 02 Nov 2010
wow that thing looks horrible lol

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA
It wasn't stung that I'm aware of, but I did notice a curious hermit crab a few times. It seems to have just melted away. Should I remove it, or hold out hope for a miracle???

boxboy

boxboy

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,465 posts
  • Joined 17 Oct 2011
I remember reading some place that if your plate coral dies completly. keep it in ur tank. because it could possable
grow new babies from it. I may be wrong tho.

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA
I read that, too. I guess I could just keep it in and cross my fingers. It's a shame, because it was so great looking in the store!

gerbilbox

gerbilbox

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Joined 27 Sep 2010
  • SF Bay Area, CA, USA

It wasn't stung that I'm aware of, but I did notice a curious hermit crab a few times. It seems to have just melted away. Should I remove it, or hold out hope for a miracle???

Keep it in the tank! There have been many anecdotal reports of them growing new baby polyps weeks after their "death." Fungia's are generally such hardy animals so I'm sorry for your loss, but I think it's worth a try to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Edited by gerbilbox, 13 March 2012 - 04:31 PM.

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA

wow that thing looks horrible lol

Thanks! Very helpful!!! LMFAO!!!

Keep it in the tank! There have been many anecdotal reports of them growing new baby polyps weeks after their "death." Fungia's are generally such hardy animals so I'm sorry for your loss, but I think it's worth a try to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the condolences. I have heard that they were fairly hardy as well, so I thought that I would give it a try. I must have gotten a lemon!

gerbilbox

gerbilbox

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Joined 27 Sep 2010
  • SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Thanks for the condolences. I have heard that they were fairly hardy as well, so I thought that I would give it a try. I must have gotten a lemon!

If your plate skeleton grows new polyps you'll get to have another try.

LOL, the lemon coral, the one coral no one ever wants to get.

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA

If your plate skeleton grows new polyps you'll get to have another try.

LOL, the lemon coral, the one coral no one ever wants to get.

Nice! Thanks everyone for the replies.

IamTomm

IamTomm

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 11 May 2010
  • Coal Twp., Pa
What is your calc, Alk, and mag at?

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

Coral Trader

• Members
  • 3,505 posts
  • Joined 30 Jan 2011
  • Appleton Wisconsin
ya dont expose to air let it sit for months,someone had one they refered to as a plate factory because of babys it would make ,might even want to look for those in petshops
Anthonys 5 Gallon
Pictures
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=267313

mmcguffi

mmcguffi

meow mixer

• Members
  • 3,403 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2011
  • Ann Arbor MI
+1 to just leave it in the tank for a good long time

dunno what the problem was--what's your SG at? how do you measure it? did you have it positioned on the sand bed? (where it should be)

do you think you could get a feeding response if you tried to feed it now?

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA

What is your calc, Alk, and mag at?

Alk is at 8, and I don't test for calc or mag.

+1 to just leave it in the tank for a good long time

dunno what the problem was--what's your SG at? how do you measure it? did you have it positioned on the sand bed? (where it should be)

do you think you could get a feeding response if you tried to feed it now?

My SG is 1.025 steady, and I did have it on the sand bed. I also tried to feed some mysis, but it is not responding. I do weekly 5 gallon WC in a 27 gallon cube.

mmcguffi

mmcguffi

meow mixer

• Members
  • 3,403 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2011
  • Ann Arbor MI
How do you measure your SG? Maybe have a friend/LFS do a quick double check? It's prolly fine but definitely worth investigating imo

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA

How do you measure your SG? Maybe have a friend/LFS do a quick double check? It's prolly fine but definitely worth investigating imo

I use a hydrometer for this (cheap plastic with floating needle). I do clean it before and after each use, but I am aware of the lack of precision and/or reliable results using these. I think I may take a water sample to the LFS just to confirm all of my results.

boxboy

boxboy

Nano Reefer

• Banned by Moderators
  • 1,465 posts
  • Joined 17 Oct 2011
I just feed my orange plate pellets a few times a week. maybe 5 pellets at a shot. it loves to eat. leave it on sand. med flow. med light. its growing well so far. had it for 10months.

henningero

henningero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2012
  • Souderton, PA

I just feed my orange plate pellets a few times a week. maybe 5 pellets at a shot. it loves to eat. leave it on sand. med flow. med light. its growing well so far. had it for 10months.

You're lucky. I didn't even have enough time with it to develop a feeding pattern...

BTW, what type of pellets do you feed the plate? I've never heard of feeding pellets. Also, do you feed all 5 pellets at once? Does the plate take all 5 in it's mouth at once?

Edited by henningero, 14 March 2012 - 11:19 AM.