SaltCritters.com

ADA 90P 48g -> Now 90g Rimless

jestep

Here's the maroon clown. Was really hard to get a good picture with the low lighting and glare from the sump, but this one came out pretty cool even with the movement and weird glare.

IMG_0593_1024.jpg

His pure black fins are what really sold me on him. He's also quite a bit more red than the brown here and his eye is bright red. The thin outer edge of his fins is bright orange. Just a really cool maroon.

Ceramic skimmer stand. This is a beast of a ceramic brick.

IMAG1222%20(Custom).jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed my biopellet reactor pump was messed up and was not actually flowing through my bioepellets. I can only guess but I would say it's been at least a 4 weeks if not more like 8 weeks since I noticed more flow in my return chamber of my sump. I thought it was due to when I increased the return pump flow, during the same time, but saw this morning that the nozzle of the reactor pump was completely outside of the reactor. My NO3 still tested undetectable so I have to assume that some serious denitirification is going on either in the ceramic block or somewhere else in the tank. I've been feeding much heavier in the past 2 months, and I added a huge foxface, which I'm still trying to catch to rehome, so the bioload has easily doubled since I added the block.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a cadlights biopellet reactor on ebay to replace my beta CPR reactor, of which I'm not a fan of at all. I was a little worried about the size but it still fit perfectly in the inlet/skimmer chamber of the sump.

IMAG1275%20(Custom).jpg

Started religiously dosing korallen zucht SPS amino acids about a month ago, 5 drops per day, and SPS growth and polyp extension have exploded. I am extremely skeptical of any miracle additive, especially at these dosages, but there's no doubt this makes a big difference. All of my SPS look markedly better. Several coral which hadn't encrusted in more than a year have encrusted a half inch or more at the base. 2 of my valida have easily grown a quarter to half inch in 2 months. I would absolutely recommend this stuff to any SPS keeper. It's the only additive other than Ca and Alk dosing that I would recommend at all. Just based on cost, I'm going to give the TLF AcroPower a shot as I've heard good things in online blogs and from other reefers.

Cadlights biopellet reactor tumbling. Very impressed. Some still have some air stuck to them so there's a bit of clumping, but should settle down in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this little valentini at my LFS. Hopefully wont regret it but the only risk is likely my porcelain crabs who i think can hold their own.

IMG_0635_1024.jpg

Took a few photos after the toby puffer. SPS are starting to take off well.

Valida finally starting to grow well.

IMG_0636_1024.jpg

Another valida that I've had for more than a year now. It's doubled in about 2 months.

IMG_0639_1024.jpg

Yet another valida....
IMG_0640_1024.jpg

ORA Hydnophora, brightest green coral I've ever seen.

IMG_0643_1024.jpg

Same hydnophora back in July

IMG_0175.jpg

Also, maybe someone can suggest why the easiest sps on earth, my red cap, is STN'ing and my acros including the wild, non maricultured ones, are growing like crazy.

IMG_0652_1024.jpg

I never had luck with monti caps. I don't know what it is. At one point I had a purple monster acro, supposedly the slowest growing sps, growing like a weed and my monti cap turning pale, not growing at all.

I never had luck with monti caps. I don't know what it is. At one point I had a purple monster acro, supposedly the slowest growing sps, growing like a weed and my monti cap turning pale, not growing at all.

I'm usually ok with caps unless I bleach them, but this one is a complete mystery. Have had it for 2 years and now it starts to recede. I'm hoping it was a flow issue since it was in a weird spot, but really no solid idea.

I typically have a horrible problem with birdsnests and other seriatopora's though. Had this guy for more than a year and he did this in a day in my last tank.

IMAG0670.jpg

Also, maybe someone can suggest why the easiest sps on earth, my red cap, is STN'ing and my acros including the wild, non maricultured ones, are growing like crazy.

when i had my display tank at 7.0 dKH the monticaps looked like crap. so i slowly raised it to 8.3 dKH and they look better. i haven't done too much searching through your thread but what's your dKH?

as for your birdsnest i have no clue. chadf ran into a similar problem and he ended up starting all over. :/ hopefully you get it all figured out.

Euphyllia garden. Conch is photo bombing it but since I've never actually seen him move except when he jumped one time I won't hold it against him.

IMG_0655_1024.jpg

Wow nice tanks! The first one was incredible and this 90 is even sweeter! I like your taste in corals. Your Euphy garden is my favorite. Especially that orange hammer :o LUV it!

• 6 months later...

Looking good as it grows. That scribble fox face definetly has me thinking of getting one. Hope the tank is doing good. I'll wait till you update more pics. Hows the red scoly doing? Saw it not doing to well. .

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a long time, so figured I'd throw something up here.

Switched from the 500W of MH a few months back to 3 AI SOL blue's. Took a long time to get anywhere near acclimated, and still only at about 25%. Really liking the color as well as light spread and my chiller has only kicked on a few times since switching.

We moved at the beginning of July so have been neglecting just about everything since then. Tank move took about 6 hours, but was easy compared to moving everything in a house we'd been living in for 7 years without using a moving company. I don't ever want to do that again...

Bought a wall cabinet for my supplies and reactors. Much nicer than having them junk up the free sump space. Running 4 reactors for GFO replacing media in 1 reactor per week. Very stable PO4 since I switched to this method.

IMAG1891%20(Custom).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Need more updates!

Just got my camera back from my brother so will try to get some picture updates when I get a chance.

Not much has changed as far as the tank goes. I did lose my kole tang this past week. No idea what happened. I've had her for several years and haven't added a new fish in almost 10 months. She was well fed and grazing on the glass and rock 16 hours a day. All the other fish are completely fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was doing some work in the tank and accidentally obliterated my large hammer. Looks like it was around 80 heads, just guessing.

Pretty crazy how much skeletal growth is on this. Started as a single head about 4 years ago.

IMG_9845%20(Large)_edited.jpg

Volleyball size:
IMG_0661_0124.jpg

Boom :tears:
IMAG2109_1024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this little darwin from AD to pair with my 16+ year female. He instantly started following her and was eating about 15 minutes after being added. Unlike a lot of the recommendations I hear, I try to get fish eating in the first hour after adding them. They seem to settle in much better. He's also pure black, which I hadn't seen in a clownfish this young. They normally start out a chocolate orange color and turn black when they mature.

IMAG2130%20(Custom).jpg

I've had so many problems with dosing, some on my part, some a result of crappy dc motors, going to switch to this CaRX since I already had a fully automatic CO2 system from my FW tank that I was no longer using.

IMAG2116%20(Custom).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Was doing some work in the tank and accidentally obliterated my large hammer. Looks like it was around 80 heads, just guessing.

Pretty crazy how much skeletal growth is on this. Started as a single head about 4 years ago.

IMG_9845%20(Large)_edited.jpg

Volleyball size:

IMG_0661_0124.jpg

Boom :tears:

IMAG2109_1024.jpg

what happened? it's not dead, just broken in half? that sucks :(

I'm interested in seeing your long-term review of going to ca reactor, I think it's a good move but they're kinda intimidating...

Archived