Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what kind of macro is this?

joshik

im just about to jump into adding macro algae to my tank! ive always loved the idea of having macros in my tank...makes it look more natural imho. my friend always laughs when i tell him i like macro algae in my tank. i try to buy coral pieces that have macro algae on them. i've had plate macros and some others on aquacultured sps colonies that i've had in the past.

recently i got a little hitch hiker from a mini sps colony and i fragged it off and glued it to a rock. not sure what it is but i like it. it grows SUPER slow.

anyone know what it is? its kinda waxy and it fluoresces a orange/copper color under actinics or uv light ( i have a little uv flash light i play with at night sometimes).

DSCN1338.JPG

from the description of waxy, i'm not sure if it's nemastoma. Nemastoma should be more gelatinous? Possibly a Fuecha sp.? Whatever it is, it looks awesome, and if it grows out i'd be willing to trade other macros for it.

from the description of waxy, i'm not sure if it's nemastoma. Nemastoma should be more gelatinous? Possibly a Fuecha sp.? Whatever it is, it looks awesome, and if it grows out i'd be willing to trade other macros for it.

cool, yeh im down for a trade in the future. this one grows super slow for me. maybe my nutrients are kinda low. i guess i should bump up the feeding once i get those other macros from you too! :)

do other macros glow/fluoresce under uv light?

cool, yeh im down for a trade in the future. this one grows super slow for me. maybe my nutrients are kinda low. i guess i should bump up the feeding once i get those other macros from you too! :)

do other macros glow/fluoresce under uv light?

Some macros do, but it's not due to the phytoplankton as it would be in corals. Mostly just due to color. I find that red grape fluoresces a bit. Along with upping the feedings, you could always pump some potassium nitrate every once in a while. That's what I do and it's worked pretty well for me.

Some macros do, but it's not due to the phytoplankton as it would be in corals. Mostly just due to color. I find that red grape fluoresces a bit. Along with upping the feedings, you could always pump some potassium nitrate every once in a while. That's what I do and it's worked pretty well for me.

potassium nitrate like this stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Potassium-Nitrate-Py...s/dp/B00355SF7W

or maybe this?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Laborat...WADAOMB-vi.html

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone happen to identify this? I search all of my resources and couldn't find anything even close. If you decide to frag this out at some point I would love to have a sample.

Did anyone happen to identify this? I search all of my resources and couldn't find anything even close. If you decide to frag this out at some point I would love to have a sample.

nope, no one has id'd this yet. i will def be fragging it out when it gets bigger. it has been a slow grower but has showed signs of increased growth since ive been dosing.

I've got to try IDing another macro tonight, so I'll keep an eye out for yours again. Keep me in mind if you do decide to frag the plant.

• 3 weeks later...
holy cow! Thanks!!!! how long did that take?

ill frag it out once it gets bigger :)

Haha you know i'm in line for a frag! :lol:

Archived