Coral Vue Hydros

leica v-lux 3 vs cannon t3i

gabe_j

hey guys so I'm torn between 2 cameras, like the title says, I'm really liking the Leica V-Lux 3, and my wife is a steady Cannon fan leaning towards the T3i.

so the big question is what would you pick and why.

The Canon. I have a bag full of Canon-mount lenses.

It all depends on what you plan to use it for, and how much money you want to have spent in the long run. In order to get focal length comparable to the Leica on the Canon, you'd have to buy more lenses. If changing lenses and/or spending thousands on lenses is too inconvenient for your taste, go with the Leica.

a majority of it will be for coral and livestock photography. i'd still like something i can take with me to the zoo as my daughter loves going there. so an "all around camera" would be cool but isn't absolute. i i'm not terribly worried about the cost but i don't want have to have 10+ lenses to do what i can do with one.

also what do you think will give better picture quality overall?

anyone else?

The T3i has a much higher resolution, lower pixel density on the sensor, and higher ISO settings (and likely to have better performance), but the Leica has an 35-mm focal length equivalent of 25-600mm. You wouldn't need 10 lenses to match that focal length with the Canon, but you would most likely want at least 200mm for shooting close-up shots of zoo animals. A good macro lens for the Canon would set you back $500+.

hmm... ok. i'm almost debating buying both and running a side by side test lol i've always wanted a leica but if its not very much worth the trouble i'll stick with the cannons.

personally I think lecia is overpriced point n shoot and just paying a stupid price for a name..Id never own one.

But why...

Aren't the Panasonics typically the same camera as the Leicas?

From what I understand hardware yes, but the image processor is different.

But why...

Exactly what is soooooo great about the Lecia that warrants its $1000 price tag..you could buy a T3i or 60D with a Sigma 17-70 OS lens and plus you have a huge options for expanding yourself in other ways..if i was going to buy a glorified Point n Shoot it would be something like a G12 not the over priced Lecia anyway these are just rebadged Panasonic

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic...nasonic_dmcfz47

they can keep their name and overpriced crap

so you wanna spend around $600 more for a little different image processing when you could probably shoot the Panasonic in its raw format and processes them yourself and be better or just as good.

Archived