Godfathernikki's 12g Eclipse!
- Eclipse 12g Aquarium
- Current Sunpod (MH 70w 14K)
- AC70 HOB Filter with surface skimmer
- Hydor Nano
- Aqueon 50w Heater
- Chemipure Elite
- Purple Firefish Goby
- Yellow Clown Goby
- Green Star Polyps
- Candy Cane Coral
- Hammer Coral
- Feather Duster
Clean Up Crew (CUC):
- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- Cerith Snails
- Nerite Snails
- Nassarius Snail
This tank Has been up and running for about 5 years now. The last 6 months have been really busy for me and unfortunatly the tank was neglected a bit. I had some zoas brown some from a pistol that would constantly bury them, a hydroid breakout, and just being lazy about general maintence/cleaning caused some algae issues - but I'm back on top of things now, and the pistol is gone. So hopefully I can whip this thing back into shape.
Recent changes include switching from the stock filter to an AC70. Removing the filter from inside the hood helped the light spread and hit the back of the tank better, it also has more flow than the stock filter.
I also added some new dead rock, which is bright white now, so hopefully it won't take long to get some growth on it. Also with the AC70 I decided to try purigen, since I dont use a skimmer I thought this may give me some cleaner water.
My current to-do list includes saving a pagoda I rescued, and killing the hydroids. A distant third would be to resurface the inside of my tank, it's scratched up, but I think a set of micromesh pads should do the trick.
Pagoda rescue: Looks like the problem was starvation or lack of Ca to me- no signs of disease that I can see. Since I got it, the polyps have opened up and the flesh has stopped receding. I'm still trying to decide if I should frag it or just let it grow out over the dead skeleton.
Kill the droids:Luckily I have the slow growing variety, they are brown and have a hard tube they retract into. I've tried a few things to rid them, tweezers, apstasia X, H2O2, covering them. Aptasia X was least effective, it didn't seem to do anything but irritate them. Tweezers turned big droids into little droids, and H2O2 only made them go away for a day or two. Im still waiting on results for covering them, I smothered a big patch with epoxy about a month ago, I'm going to pull it off next week to see the results - but I think I've also found a new secret weapon:
Boiling R/O water. I blasted them with it 2 days ago and still no sign of them coming back. The tubes also turned green when I hit them with, and they are still green today, so I am hoping that is a good sign.
Edited by godfathernikki, 26 March 2012 - 08:24 AM.