Pod Your Reef

BRS 2 Stage (GFO + Carbon) Reactor

Neto

Hey guys!

I have a small tank 20 gallon + 10 gallon sump and I would like to know if buying a kit like a BRS 2 stage (Carbon and GFO) would be ok for this setup or will it be overkill?

I am having this diatom bloom and I dont know how to controll the problem.. I am sure is not cyano because its not a red slimy algae, its more like brown dots on all over the sand.... I dont think is dyno's because I have had dyno's before and this doesnt look like it..

I think I am adding silicates to the tank by the top off and water changes. I currently have an RO / 5 stage system that contains 1 sediment filter, 2 carbon filters, 100gpd membrane and final carbon filter.. TDS currently measures 3 and the system does not have a DI stage because we use this system to drink water as well....

I was thinking on buying the BRS 2 stage in the future but I wasnt sure if this would fix the problem nor this would be too overkill for my little system...

what do you guys recommend....

Here are some pictures of the diatoms

_DSC0034.jpg

_DSC0012.jpg

Hey guys!

I have a small tank 20 gallon + 10 gallon sump and I would like to know if buying a kit like a BRS 2 stage (Carbon and GFO) would be ok for this setup or will it be overkill?

I am having this diatom bloom and I dont know how to controll the problem.. I am sure is not cyano because its not a red slimy algae, its more like brown dots on all over the sand.... I dont think is dyno's because I have had dyno's before and this doesnt look like it..

I think I am adding silicates to the tank by the top off and water changes. I currently have an RO / 5 stage system that contains 1 sediment filter, 2 carbon filters, 100gpd membrane and final carbon filter.. TDS currently measures 3 and the system does not have a DI stage because we use this system to drink water as well....

I was thinking on buying the BRS 2 stage in the future but I wasnt sure if this would fix the problem nor this would be too overkill for my little system...

what do you guys recommend....

Here are some pictures of the diatoms

_DSC0034.jpg

_DSC0012.jpg

I have the single BRS Deluxe reactor on my 29g and am running their granular GFO and the large lignite carbon in it. The one reactor is working just fine for me. I went from an ac70 HOB with floss, chemi pure elite, and purigen to this reactor setup and a reef octopus hob skimmer. I am happy with it. The cobalt mj1200 is dead silent. I chose to run the gfo in the bottom of the cartride and the carbon up top between the foam discs. Easier to figure out where to have the flow for me. I bought a gallon of each. Wont have to buy anymore for a long time. Definitely cheaper to maintain than my old setup.

I currently keep my carbon in my canister filter in a mesh bag with my reactor plumbed on the output side of the canister running BRS GFO on my 8.5g. I don't really see much benefit in keeping carbon in a reactor since it doesnt really clump. Definitely recommend having at least the single reactor running GFO, it's been an extremely worth while investment. Just be sure to use GFO accordingly to avoid bleaching

i use a single on my 20h/10g sump. 6 tbsp of gfo every month and 5 tbsp of carbon every two weeks. a maxijet 600 is powering it, the canister has had a few of the slits cut out to keep it from clogging every week. it works excellent for me. a single is all you need and you wont fit a duel to nicely in there.

i added it after the tank was running and having a wicked hair algea and cyno bloom, less than 48 hours later the tank was nearly spotless. i would have ran it sooner but my maxijet was crap and had to wait for the other one to get here.

phosphate is .02 according to my hanna

Archived