ReefCleaners.org

No bubbles?

Blennylover14

Blennylover14

So this is more than me whining, but I have my reef in my room and it gets hard to sleep by hearing bubbles hitting the water. My air pump is quiet but he bubbles aren't... Can I take them out, I hear they help create benificial bacteria. I have no filter, just bubbles and a koralia. I might replace the bubbles with a protein skimmer. What should I do.

Btw: don't hag me for having no filter. It's cheaper and honestly in my opinion easier, I grow coral better. I do a water change once a week.

Help?

C.I._Reefer
So this is more than me whining, but I have my reef in my room and it gets hard to sleep by hearing bubbles hitting the water. My air pump is quiet but he bubbles aren't... Can I take them out, I hear they help create benificial bacteria. I have no filter, just bubbles and a koralia. I might replace the bubbles with a protein skimmer. What should I do.

Btw: don't hag me for having no filter. It's cheaper and honestly in my opinion easier, I grow coral better. I do a water change once a week.

Help?

You really shouldn't have bubbles in a sw tank in general. You also dont need a filter, but it is nice to have an avenue to run carbon, purigen, etc. I would nix the bubble crap and just get a second koralia.

I have a reef in my room too. it is super annoying tryin to sleep if i forget to top off that day. The trickle from the HOB gets pretty loud if the water level is a bit low.

Yeah, you don't need an air pump. Just make sure there's some surface agitation to ensure proper gas exchange and oxygenation of the water. Point a powerhead up to create a ripple, or a HoB filter would work too.

nor_cal_nano

Are you going for that tacky fw look? If so a little scuba diver will really top it off. :lol:

Seriously though. Take it out if it bothers you.

Blennylover14

Thanks guys I took it out today, I noticed my skunk clown is acting a little weird though... He's being real shy and hiding in the rocks. Could this be because I took the bubbles out? My zoas are expanded nice since I took the bubbles out and seem to be doing really well!

Archived