Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ballz' 3 Gallon

iball1804

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of right now, I have no idea (stocking wise). I'm thinking of an LPS (hammer, frogspawn, etc.) in the center surrounded by a field of GSP. Nice and simple. And then a fiddler crab to roam and such.

I googled "Fiddler Crab" and evidently that aren't reef-safe.

Any other species of crab that stay small but are amphibious?

Glass came in. I'm using GE I Window/Door (clear) and masking tape

6983291783_fa87da602c.jpg

Dry fitting.

6983304937_697611c148.jpg

Prepped and ready to go! I'll push hard in order to get silicone into the seams.

6983355007_b05d229f1f.jpg

Wish me luck! fingerscrossed

pico-reefer

Have you ever tweaked a few panes of glass trying to pull the tape off for the clean silicone line? I could see that being difficult to remove without moving something.

No. If you wait 15-20 minutes the silicone is hard enough to offer resistance. I still try and support the glass while pulling the tape back. All the tape is off except the tape on the sides. All internal tape is off. Silicone is laid.

I made sure that the silicone was in between the seams of the glass, not necessarily just resting on the glass itself.

fingerscrossed Until the leak-test tomorrow afternoon!

Aqui Esta

6983429539_fb3e7217d5.jpg

I googled "Fiddler Crab" and evidently that aren't reef-safe.

Any other species of crab that stay small but are amphibious?

From what I've read, they are less reef safe because they are opportunistic feeders. If you only have a fiddler I think you would be safe.

@Joel - I think it'll be fine. Konolua has a tank with many crabs. I'll check him out!

@Boxboy - Thanks bro! Appreciate it.

Good luck getting ahold of him. He's not been active for a while and his tank is now a tidal tank if you check his YouTube channel.

where did you get your glass

At the local glass shop for around 16$. Punctuation wouldn't kill either! ;)

This looks sweet :)

Thanks! Can't wait for the leak-test tomorrow.

looking goood! now where's that cardboard tank with the mock up scape you promised? ;)

Crap! Let me see when I can get.

When you built your 2 tanks, did you put your side panels on the bottom pane? What about the front and back?

Both the sides and front panels went past the bottom panel. Each side touches the ground.

Same for home depot...And they call themselves a home improvement store! How am I supposed to improve my home without a wicked hand-built aquarium? ;)

Nice ballz, looks like you did it right the first time this time around :)

Nice ballz, looks like you did it right the first time this time around :)

You've been with me this whole time. Thanks Shawn ;)

Crap! Let me see when I can get.

Both the sides and front panels went past the bottom panel. Each side touches the ground.

Yo dude, I think you made a boo boo. I'm no tank builder, but I believe all of your side pieces of glass are suppose to sit on top of the bottom pane. You are also suppose to have silicone between the glass, not just along the seams. I'm not criticizing, just looking out.

I just don't want to see you have a blow out. but again it is a small tank. Don't move it once it's set up if you decide to keep it the way it is.

-dan

Yo dude, I think you made a boo boo. I'm no tank builder, but I believe all of your side pieces of glass are suppose to sit on top of the bottom pane. You are also suppose to have silicone between the glass, not just along the seams. I'm not criticizing, just looking out.

I just don't want to see you have a blow out. but again it is a small tank. Don't move it once it's set up if you decide to keep it the way it is.

-dan

Sides shouldnt be on the bottom, they should be around the bottom, Weight of glass/pressure from water can cause bottom pane to crack if sides are placed on top..then again were only talking 3 gallons here..

also he did get silicon in between the panes :P

I made sure that the silicone was in between the seams of the glass, not necessarily just resting on the glass itself.
Sides shouldnt be on the bottom, they should be around the bottom, Weight of glass/pressure from water can cause bottom pane to crack if sides are placed on top..then again were only talking 3 gallons here..

also he did get silicon in between the panes :P

Wrong! Sorry dude, bad advice. If you were to pick up that tank, the glass on the sides has nothing to rest on. Therefore they are floating and not ideal.

"also he did get silicon in between the panes :P"

Wrong again, lol you are on a roll.

This is what he said :rolleyes:

"Prepped and ready to go! I'll push hard in order to get silicone into the seams"

Again, this is not ideal. It's only 3g, but 3g can ruin a hardwood floor. Just saying... :eek:

You clearly haven't read the post correctly and have no idea what you are talking about. :unsure:

-dan

Wrong! Sorry dude, bad advice. If you were to pick up that tank, the glass on the sides has nothing to rest on. Therefore they are floating and not ideal.

"also he did get silicon in between the panes :P"

Wrong again, lol you are on a roll.

This is what he said :rolleyes:

"Prepped and ready to go! I'll push hard in order to get silicone into the seams"

Again, this is not ideal. It's only 3g, but 3g can ruin a hardwood floor. Just saying... :eek:

You clearly haven't read the post correctly and have no idea what you are talking about. :unsure:

-dan

Lol whatever you say dude...obviously your whacked enough to think tanks are supposed to get picked up haha...and you obviously haven't taken a look at how tanks are constructed. Tell me a rimless tank manufacturer that puts the side panes on the bottom....

Because all 8 rimless tanks I have owned have been constructed in this fashion with the sides around the bottom. Including all acrylic tanks are made like this. Deep blue makes tanks like this. Hagen builds tanks like this. Cadlights . Mr aqua . Ada. etc etc you should know this because your 250ish cube is more then likely built like this also.

So your saying they're all wrong? Go tell them that and see what they say. Better yet - go order a 150 rimless and ask for the side panes to be placed on top of the bottom - I'll be awaiting news of your tank blowout

Even on top of that think about this. If the panes were placed on top vs the sides how would torsion from wave making effect the flex of the panes and the silicon seal. The side panes sitting on top will rip the silicon. Where as the panes around the bottom will be held square.

Also me being wrong about what I said? I think not I quoted balls directly from his post using the quote button that you haven't figured out how to multi quote with yet. Here is the full post instead of a cut. Third page go read

No. If you wait 15-20 minutes the silicone is hard enough to offer resistance. I still try and support the glass while pulling the tape back. All the tape is off except the tape on the sides. All internal tape is off. Silicone is laid.

fingerscrossed Until the leak-test tomorrow afternoon!

Aqui Esta

6983429539_fb3e7217d5.jpg

You sir have just been crushed - it would be wise for you to do your homework before speaking out of your ass. Please wipe.

Alright guys. Dan I appreciate you and your advice. I'm not worried at how it's constructed right now. I've made plenty of tanks mirroring this design and they've all been successful.

Thanks for trying to help though :)

Archived