Coral Vue Hydros

Ballz' 3 Gallon

iball1804

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those looks legit. It says the max wattage is 13w?

I have a PAR38 in one with no problems. Those warning labels are just suggestions

Jacob042426

I wish I had more money too, but I am getting a ledtric bulb anyway :P. do a DIY kit! I'll get you a link to a suppper cheap driver that comes with LEDs!

Jacob042426
Why not try something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120816481692?ssPag...984.m1423.l2649

Plus he's in Cali so it's not going to take forever to get to you. I have a 3g, 12x10x7 that I'm making a small frag tank and I'm planning on using those lights. He also has a 8pc set for $34.50. All you need is a cord to plug that driver into the wall. Cheap and simple.

"Plenty of people have made DIY fixtures with Chinese eBay LEDs and been satisfied with the results."

I have a small 2.5G Pico in my livingroom on an end table that has 4x24 led white lights and 1x24 led blue light strips mounted under the canopy that is making my corals grow very nicely. These lights have been used on mine, friends/family's motorcycles because they are 12v and waterproof. Thus far has proven to be great on the tank and is also doing a good job with coral growth. Here's a link to these types of lights. Though not the best considering you can get away with using fewer 3W leds, but at the time they were extras I had laying around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-24CM-LED-Str...=item20c26a7e54

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-24cm-24-LED-Fle...=item27c4783ca9

Growth pics under the strips

Mushroom frag with only 3 when I got it, about 5-6 weeks ago, now has 5 shrooms on it.

IMG_1241.jpg

Some Eagle Eye Zoas that only has 3 heads when I bought it, about 4 weeks ago, now has 9 heads.

IMG_1269.jpg

Also have some Ricordia from my 10G that NEVER looked like this or open as full as it has before I put it in the Pico with the LEDs.

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

I'll also get some pics up in a bit after the corals have opened to show the difference.

More

Some Xenia

IMG_1288.jpg

Other Ricordia I picked up $10!!

IMG_1283.jpg

Mushroom's

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Zoas

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

All-in-all Id say the cheap LED's have been great. The 4 white's I got off Amazon for $6 shipped and the one blue strip I had. I bought a CurrentUSA 3 LED moon light strip from MarineDepot for $10 and have everything wired to 3 RCA AC/DC adaptors. Nice thing about the adaptors is there 500ma and you can change the voltage, but I have everything set to 11v so not to over drive the leds.

And the other first Ricordia again. This frag was only $5 from a local reefer. Turns out they go for $35 a head and there are 2 heads on that LOL.

IMG_1287.jpg

What the stip setup looks like

LED set-up:

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

Th

Here's those LEDs on my livingroom Pico.

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Much smaller and cleaner than the old set-up. The shimmer effect is awesome and now with these lights I can keep anything in that tank. I already ordered more LED's so I can finish my work frag tank project.

My one piece of Ricordia yesterday under the new lights. He was LOVIN it LOL

IMG_1303.jpg

Or why not just gu10's?

Thinking of these LEDs

"Plenty of people have made DIY fixtures with Chinese eBay LEDs and been satisfied with the results."

I have a small 2.5G Pico in my livingroom on an end table that has 4x24 led white lights and 1x24 led blue light strips mounted under the canopy that is making my corals grow very nicely. These lights have been used on mine, friends/family's motorcycles because they are 12v and waterproof. Thus far has proven to be great on the tank and is also doing a good job with coral growth. Here's a link to these types of lights. Though not the best considering you can get away with using fewer 3W leds, but at the time they were extras I had laying around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-24CM-LED-Str...=item20c26a7e54

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-24cm-24-LED-Fle...=item27c4783ca9

Also thinking of adding a tailspot blenny sometime. Thoughts?

Jacob042426

An adult tail spot seems too big, but would be sick. Why not a hi fin goby and a pistol shrimp?

It also says that a tailspot needs lots of lr, which you don't have.

If you haven't decided on a fish yet, you might want to look into a green banded goby. I just bought two the other day. Once I saw them in the store, I couldn't resist. I've only had mind in the tank a couple of days, and they're already out and perched on the rocks. They ate frozen cyclop-eez on the first day and they are smaller than a cerith shell! TINY. I know they get to 2", but they're so thin that they don't have much biomass.

Anyway, I think they're awesome and worth at least giving a thought to :D

And by the way; I LOVE your tank! Its dimensions make it look so much bigger than it actually is, and your scape is super clean :)

Thanks Lara! :blush: I've been looking at goby's like those.

I hate these planning stages. Too much thought :wacko:

well that's no good

sorry i havn't been following your thread-but i just skimmed through it. very nice build, tank is looks very clean and well done.

Thanks Lara! :blush: I've been looking at goby's like those.

I hate these planning stages. Too much thought :wacko:

Haha. Really? I always thought it was the best part!

Where you been Ismael!?

Lara, no it's too stressful for me! I want it right the first time around, but don't know what I want! :P

Where you been Ismael!?

Lara, no it's too stressful for me! I want it right the first time around, but don't know what I want! :P

I guess I agree with the stressful part. I can't wait to see what you choose for the tank!

I guess I agree with the stressful part. I can't wait to see what you choose for the tank!

iknorite!? I'm excited as well.

nah. schools not that bad.

So you just lost the vision?

Archived