Top Shelf Aquatics

Ballz' 3 Gallon

iball1804

This tank will be a participant in the "3 and Under" contest! With the dimensions below, it's sitting at around 3 gallons.

6893829954_d99637145a.jpg

• 14Lx10Wx5H Display Tank (1/8" in glass)
  • 50w Stealth Heater
  • Hydor Evolution 400 Return/Powerhead
  • CADLights 8G Mini LED Fixture

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscribed! Great to have another thread to follow...fiddlers need a place to chill, too! :) Welcome to the contest, have fun with it, and good luck!

contest judge

Meta

joeyhatch11

I have a small tank at work that's 12x10x7 and that's made with 3/16. It was a DIY tank that I put together with glass from Lowes. Though Im thinking about buying an acrylic tank instead. Something from Micro-reefs.com with no seams. That'll look real sexy!!!

pico-reefer
Yeah 1/4" is way too thick. I'll probably just do 1/8".

Pico, you say 3/16" Why?

becuase 1/8" is on the thin side, and you'll have a hell of a time trying to get glass that thick square, 1/4 is a bit thick, 3/16" is right in the middle, thick enough that it still sort of stands on end( meaning it wont just fall over like 1/8" would), so its alittle easier to work with.

and its cheaper.

I've got no troubles working on 3/32" thick glass. I made a small tank out of it.

But 3/16" it is. How much would you estimate my tank'll cost me? 20$ for the glass?

:lol: I just sent in an estimate form for my glass. I put in the following information:

Bottom: 13 3/4" x 9 3/4"

Front and Back: 14 x 5"

Sides (2): 5 x 9 3/4"

How does that sound? I also requested an estimate for not only standard glass, but starphire glass as well. Depending on the price difference, I might go with starphire. If it's insanely high, then I'll go with the standard glass. At such a thin thickness (3/16"), the "green" effect from thick glass shouldn't be a problem.

Comments/Suggestions? Thanks!

jedimasterben

You'll probably cry at the price of low iron ("starphire") glass. I've seen it take a $100 tank to a $600 tank. :o

Oh, I know what I'm up against. Considering this tank is <3 gallons, I was curious. Probably 60-70$ max.-

Well, it's not a tank yet... Just lots and lots of planning! (and some hardware, plus an estimate on the tank itself)

:lol: I just sent in an estimate form for my glass. I put in the following information:

Bottom: 13 3/4" x 9 3/4"

Front and Back: 14 x 5"

Sides (2): 5 x 9 3/4"

How does that sound? I also requested an estimate for not only standard glass, but starphire glass as well. Depending on the price difference, I might go with starphire. If it's insanely high, then I'll go with the standard glass. At such a thin thickness (3/16"), the "green" effect from thick glass shouldn't be a problem.

Comments/Suggestions? Thanks!

Anyone have more suggestions?

funkngroovy

Dont worry about starfire for that thickness, it's not worth the money. As you say, you won't notice the green.

It won't cost much more for them to silicone it together for you. If you just tell them the outside or inside dimensions of the tank they will work out the rest. I have no idea about inches so those measurements dont make sense so I can't help.

Archived