Coral Vue Hydros

can someone id this 8 legged guy?

jessica888

Are you trying to make yourself look stupid? He is in CA, why would there be a reef-dwelling sun-star? Check your facts first, bud.

Has it occurred to you that the starfish might have been gathered while on vacation? If you are referring to the OP, there is nothing in her profile indicating where jessica lives. Every Jessica that I have met is a 'she'. Maybe you need to review your facts.

Hopefully aquaculturing will come full circle in the next few years and we will have access to much more tank raised species. In the meantime, we need to exercise as much conservation and self control as possible.

I couldn't agree more!

But still, sometimes I have bad days and yell. I apologize.

:flower: Apology accepted. Let's just hope Jessica comes back so that the experienced reefers here can help her figure this new tank thing out. Formula462, I have gained a lot from your posts that I have read here, and I thank you for that. You just threw me off with your first reply in this thread. We all learn a few things the hard way.

lakshwadeep
Are you trying to make yourself look stupid? He is in CA, why would there be a reef-dwelling sun-star? Check your facts first, bud.

quoted for hilarious irony

this thread is full of super smart people! Where does it say "he" lives in CA... weirdo.

Wow... it pisses me off that someone gave her an established tank for free without telling her anything, and she cared to do little to no research on it. Yeah she made a username here but she clearly didn't read info for more than 30 min... whatever. I hope Jessica sees this because this whole thing was a big act of cruelty and irresponsibility to keeping pets... mean

I pm'd her a link to this thread so she doesn't run back to the beach to collect more stuff... there's some good advice here if you read through it for any beginning reefer

Off topic and forgive me for asking. but what is a troll? And pls dont say the little people who live under bridges and yell at us for cookies lol

I think OP may have been scared away also. well maybe.

I do agree with not taking livestock from the ocean tho. for our own little reefs. But then again. when I just started out. I also did not know this was a big no no.

My best advise for OP is to read everything you can about everything you wanna keep in your tank untill your brain hurts. take a break. ask some questions. and read some more.

Take things slowly.

Off topic and forgive me for asking. but what is a troll? And pls dont say the little people who live under bridges and yell at us for cookies lol

I think OP may have been scared away also. well maybe.

I do agree with not taking livestock from the ocean tho. for our own little reefs. But then again. when I just started out. I also did not know this was a big no no.

My best advise for OP is to read everything you can about everything you wanna keep in your tank untill your brain hurts. take a break. ask some questions. and read some more.

Take things slowly.

It's someone who says really idiotic and stupid things to get a rise out of people. they will come off extremely dumb and make others scratch their head or become worried while he is laughing behind his computer. for example he could say something like "IT'S MY DOGZ BURFDAY SO I FEDZ HIM CHOKOLATE CAKE AND NOW HE WONT MOVE... WHAT HAPPEN?"...

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

They will just post really controversial stuff and act totally oblivious but its all a joke

MY DOGZ BURFDAY SO I FEDZ HIM CHOKOLATE CAKE AND NOW HE WONT MOVE... WHAT HAPPEN?"... 

LmAO.

Thank you for clearing that up. I keep an eye out for ppl like that now.

I too think it isn't very wise to simply take things off the beach and plonk them into your tank - especially without researching them first - You are not thinking of the animals welfare, just purely for your own needs. Saying that - I wish you well with what you have placed in your tank and hope you manage to keep them alive, for the animals sake.

Just a quick point about the dragonette. I have one in my 75 gallon reef system. I have had "her" for about 2 years. She lives with a Flame Hawk, 2 clowns, 3 chromis, Bi Colour Blenny and a baby Scopas tang. (Before anyone shoots me down about the tang - YES I will be getting a bigger system.) Can I just say that the dragonette is the fastest feeder in the tank! As soon as the food is placed in the tank - the other fish have to fight to get it!! I also spot feed her when necessary. So If you look after their needs the dragonette should be ok - you dont, it will die. Simple.

AquaticEngineer

Looks like a BAT STAR with a coulple extra legs. Which is not unheard of, if one of the legs is damaged they will sometimes grow 2 or more in its place depending on how badly mangled it was.

Totally safe in your tank, other than the temperature issues. Oportunistic scanvengers, Bat stars are important as detritivores and scavengers, collecting algae and dead animals from the ocean floor and helping keep the ocean healthy.

I have three of them that only have 5 legs, so I'm a little jealous. ;)

PB230031.jpg

PB230032.jpg

IMG_20110226_194600.jpg

IMG_20110226_194038.jpg

Archived