SaltCritters.com

Gnome Glass Skimmers

_Mitch_

Do these fit in the nano cube 28 back chamber with hood on. I'v'e only got a couple of inches between the back of my tank and the wall.......would this work for me without things hanging over the side of the tank?

Anyone have a photo of this on a nano cube 28?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So am I correct in my understanding that I need to provide an air pump with 1/4" tubing in order to produce the bubbles through the air stone into the skimmer as well as a 1/2" outlet tube to remove the skimmate? ... This should work on a 12g AP, correct?

Yes to all counts. It comes with an airstone, the rings for the mount (if you choose that option), some spare rings (which are just cut from 1/4" silicone air line in case you ever need some more) and a small bit of airline connecting the airstone to the glass air tube.

What you'll need to hook it up is an air pump of some variety (anything from the smallest sold locally such as a Tetra Whisper 20 on up), some 1/2" vinyl tube (I prefer black since it doesn't show skimmate buildup), and, if your air pump is not adjustable, I highly recommend a 1/4" Tee and needle or ball valve. To adjust air flow, you can hook the tee up to the valve before the skimmer, which will allow you to bleed off extra air. Putting on a couple feet of air line after the valve will make the setup entirely silent.

Regarding the 12G Aquapod, I can't find a great picture of the hood setup, but it will certainly work for a 12 gallon size. The skimmer extends about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 inches above water line, and the outlet of the skimmer must be above the level of the glass rim, so some modification may be necessary. Typical installation yields the outlet of the skimmer rising about an inch to an inch and a half over the rim of the tank. 32mm skimmers are approximately 1.5 inches by 2 inches in footprint, a total of 9 inches tall including the spout, and will work in as low as 6 inches of water.

Do these fit in the nano cube 28 back chamber with hood on. I'v'e only got a couple of inches between the back of my tank and the wall.......would this work for me without things hanging over the side of the tank?

Anyone have a photo of this on a nano cube 28?

For a 28 gallon tank, you'll definitely want one of the larger models - probably the 44mm to give you the best flexibility for stocking your tank. The footprint of the 44mm is approximately 2 inches by 2.5 inches, and a total of 11 inches tall including the spout. It will stick out above water level by about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 inches, and only having a couple inches between the wall and the tank will be just fine. I've seen one at work in a BioCube of similar size and setup - there was just enough room behind the tank (about 1.5 inches) to fit a flat 375ml whiskey bottle, which worked really well as a skimmate container. Sadly I can't give you advice about the hood, but hopefully having the footprint measurements will help. For the 44mm model, the Tetra Whisper 20 will run it fine, but the Whisper 40 is not out of the question for some extra power (with the above tee/valve setup)

Hope this helps!

I actually have the hood removed entirely, so I'm not concerned about that at all! I'm just trying to develop a system for the rear chambers (water goes into chamber 1 from top, into chamber 2 via bottom, to chamber 3 via top, to chamber 4 via bottom, back into display) that will work with the protein skimmer. I'm probably going to put LR rubble and chaeto in the rear 2nd chamber. Some people have been putting floss/purigen/chemi-pure (from top to bottom) in the 1st rear chamber, chaeto in the 2nd/3rd and the heater/return pump in the 4th. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add the skimmer to that general set up. Does that make sense or was it complete garbage on my part?

Makes sense! I sadly can't make a good suggestion because of my limited reefkeeping experience, other than saying that putting it anywhere in the back chamber will be efficient because of the turnover of water it will see. Putting the bottom opening of the skimmer in a moderate to high flow area helps efficiency greatly, since this type of skimmer doesn't have a directional cycle of water like most needle wheel skimmers do - sucking water in from one side, and outputting filtered water on the other. It instead relies on turbulent flow inside the skimmer body to cycle water, which does work surprisingly well, provided that the water near the bottom of the skimmer is cycled externally.

One other thing I can add, though, is that they do tend to be great at manual gunk removal. The skimmer described above in the Bio Cube 29 gallon tank was in chamber 1, and it pulled out a ton of particulates and stuff (even bugs that fell in the tank O_o) before the water would get to the other back chambers. Whenever I'd take a magnet to the tank walls, all sorts of crud would appear in the foam of the skimmer and get ejected out the port. It's yet another reason the increased output spout size over the Mame skimmer was a real bonus. So I'd say your setup would depend on whether you want the skimmer to contribute to large particulate filtration first, or whether you'd like that task to be performed by the other stuff you plan on putting in the tank.

Personally, I'd put the skimmer in first just since it *can* help with all that manual removal, and I'm lazy and this will increase the amount of time between changing the other media and cleaning the floss. But, like I said - limited reefkeeping experience - I'm not absolutely sure that putting the skimmer first is the 100% best way to go, and your situation may vary. There are other considerations such as if you are trying dendros in a back chamber, you'd want all that stuff they may or may not eat to pass over them before removal. It's just one part of the equation :)

wouldn't the siphon issue be solved by having the collection cup at or above the water line?

While having the collection cup at or above water line would solve any siphoning issues, it may also reduce one of the big benefits of having this type of skimmer, which is not having some nasty skimmate cup on the top of your tank for all the world to see. It would be possible to put it behind the tank with the opening at water level, or you could seal the skimmate container, and use another section of tubing to have the vent of the container be above water line. It really should only be an issue when the skimmer is mounted very low, though - if you're skimming on the dry side during normal conditions, even if it goes crazy from pulling the floss it should be high enough to prevent a serious issue.

One of the other big benefits of this type of skimmer is that it's so flexible - you can use anything you want for the collection container, put that container wherever you want, and the in tank footprint is so small that you'll barely notice it. You don't have to worry about your skimmer adding heat to the tank, and you don't have to listen to the crazy noises produced by a needle wheel pump. Once you use one of these you may just never go back (unless by some miracle a manufacturer decides to make a needle wheel skimmer for nanos that doesn't suck!).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gnome, what is the lead time for a 44mm regular with mount? I see Coralife Luft pumps online for sale, are these the ones you're suggesting? I have a 24 nanocube.

• 2 months later...
Islandoftiki

Hey, I'd like to share a little tip for extending the life of the limewood airstone!

While I'm soaking my skimmer in vinegar to clean it, I first scrape any algae slime off of the airstone with a razor, then...

Saturate the airstone in hydrogen peroxide and let it sit while the body of the skimmer soaks and I do the water change in the tank.

BAM! All algae GONE! The airstone is like new again, and you can probably get 6 months or more out of one airstone this way. Or at least, I'm going on 6 months with the current one and it's still making tons of really tiny bubbles.

So, there you go, hydrogen peroxide on the airstone during maintenance will extend it's life a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
RedDevil.258

Hmmmm... This might work in the Nuvo 16...

About how much of the skimmer is above the waterline when in use? Don't want a tower sticking out the back of a nice clean AIO o_O

Did you ever find out a size that works well in the nuvo 16? I am thinking the same thing.

Did you ever find out a size that works well in the nuvo 16? I am thinking the same thing.

Nuvo 16 never got off the ground...ditched it long ago :(

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

We are using the smallest gnome skimmer on our AIO 6 gallon SPS system! Micro-Reefs gives them thumbs up!

They fit in the most tiniest places and are super quiet! And the amount of gunk they pull is worth mentioning! Zero heat is introduced via this skimmer.

Just a well thought out product!

Picture of it in our system...

2rz8ght.jpg

And this is what it protects...

so8m06.jpg

Justice is running the small one in his Nuvo 16 also. He has a thread in members forum with pics. He even shot me a video last night in action so hit him up.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here is the close up pics taken today of this skimmer so you can see it's efficacy!

Bottom of skimmer...

2mpa70m.jpg

Top of skimmer...

34gmxzt.jpg

These macro pics are better than most videos I have seen out there! Hope that helps you out a little...

RedDevil.258

Justice is running the small one in his Nuvo 16 also. He has a thread in members forum with pics. He even shot me a video last night in action so hit him up.

Thanks!

:)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

For those of you using gnomes, what air pump are you using? (I despise the sounds of air pumps.)

Fluval with a dial.....

Islandoftiki

For those of you using gnomes, what air pump are you using? (I despise the sounds of air pumps.)

Tetra Whisper 150. Very quiet. I can't hear it over the already quiet AC70 and MP10.

It did take a week or two to break in and really quiet down, so what it's like out of the box is louder than it will be after some use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm looking to buy this real soon and from one review on youtube, it seems there's a possibility of a siphon from the drain line. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? In the youtube video, they show an attached T barb, with a little extension... Just wondering if there's anyone out there with a maybe more aesthetic idea.

Just ordered 2! one for a pico i'm starting and one for my 40 breeder:

"Thank you for your purchase of Gnome Glass! Your order has been received. Our Goblin accountants are reviewing the financials, while our merciless horde of Gnomish workers assemble and package everything. Once it has cleared our shipping troll, a tracking number will be emailed to you through the payment gateway used to check out."

I LOL'd at this!

• 3 months later...

Well I ordered one on 10/24 but have yet to hear back from them at all? So hoping I hear from them ASAP. Anyone know of anything going on with gnome glass?

Thanks

It's Colorado, what can I say? ;)

I do like helping save peoples lungs through better methods of use, whatever that may be, but that's neither here nore there ^_^

Are these skimmer still being made? I could use one for my BioCube29!

Archived